Licence breaches result in $3,000 fine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEC

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Glenn Innes man to pay almost $3,000 for reptile licence breaches

View the press release at: Reptile keeper charged - Local News - News - General - Glen Innes Examiner

An experienced reptile keeper will have to pay almost $3,000 in fines and court costs after being sentenced in Glen Innes Local Court last week over 6 offences relating to the keeping and trading of native reptiles.

[name deleted] pleaded guilty to all charges including 3 offences of importing and exporting dangerously venomous reptiles without a permit; 2 offences of failing to keep an accurate record of fauna acquired and disposed of under his licence; and 1 offence of failing to keep his Record Book at the premises where his reptile collection was housed.

[name deleted] is licensed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act to keep dangerously venomous reptiles, and is required by his licence to keep detailed records of all reptiles acquired and disposed of in an Animal Keeper’s Record Book. Licensees are only permitted to engage in interstate trade of native fauna where they have obtained an import/export permit for the particular transaction from the Office of Environment and Heritage.

The reptiles involved in the offences included common and northern death adders, spotted black snakes and speckled brown snakes, some of the most lethal snakes in the world.

The offences were uncovered after a search warrant was executed on [name deleted] residence by OEH investigators and National Parks & Wildlife rangers.

In convicting [name deleted] of the charges, Magistrate Richardson stated, “There is no doubt that these are serious offences which warrant a fine.

“It is important that this fine is sufficient to deter other fauna keepers from committing similar offences”, he said.

Office of Environment and Heritage Chief Executive Lisa Corbyn said the fauna licensing system was in place to protect both native animals as well as the public, particularly in the case of dangerously venomous snakes.

“The fauna licensing system is designed to protect native fauna against poaching as well as making sure that captive-bred animals are only kept by people with the necessary skill and experience.

“OEH views record-keeping breaches as serious offences that undermine these objectives, and the outcome of these matters shows that this view is supported by the courts,” she said.

Last edited:
I didn't think we were allowed to name and shame on this site????

I just googled this and although it may be a DEC media release I cant see it in any newspaper links so have removed the persons name.

Last edited:
post needs to be removed... shame on DEC for how they handled Wayne & Leanne's case of getting there 'stolen' reptiles back off there son...

I can't help feeling this is a bit of a joke compared to the runaround the DEC gave Jewelz and Jungleman this month and last....................:s do you need to delete mr. last name Colin?

I think the only one they are shaming are themselves. Oh they love making themselves look popular dont they :rolleyes:

Well done for convicting someone for slack paperwork........ but others like the cases above who deserve it as AM Pythons has said?? bravo!!!!!

DEC go jump you useless waste of time. We only abide by you ridiculous rules as we want to keep our animals. You as a group are definitely one of the biggest wastes of tax payer money. You come on here parading that you have fined someone for not keeping records properly yet do nothing for weeks when someone steals reptiles, keeps them off licence and treats them inhumanly. Good work guys hope you proud of your self.

This just seems like a fear mongering attempt. Make an example out of someone who falls a little behind on their paperwork then post about it on herp forums just to remind everyone who is boss. Well done

The DEC is a disgrace to NSW just like the DECC is a disgrace to WA. When will the Ministers and other pollies wake up and give these departments severe shake up. Why can things be so easy in Qld, NT and SA and so hideously difficult in NSW and WA?

Haha- DEC, funny how you were on a leave of absence while everyone talked about what a horrendous job you do. Piping up with this gibberish now is too little too late.

What reaction are the DEC looking for with this story???

Maybe they should be fined for not following the rules of this site for naming and shaming?!?!?!

I am currently purchasing some reptiles from NSW and have to wait AGES for the seller to get the export permits back...... why can't you put as much time into processing paperwork that you do into issuing ridiculous fines for lapse paperwork?!?!

Great work guys!

I thought it was called OEH now, it hasn't been DEC for years went through a whole DECC then DECCW, I might be wrong about what it is now with the rapidity they change names, but I'm pretty sure it's OEH. (Office of Environment and Heritage).

Always good to see our taxes at work - good at getting names in paper, even if the facts were wrong. After the other fiasco of Jewelz and Jungleman now this......Who can say "JOB JUSTIFICATION"!

Didn't they hand out free cavity searches as well jamgo, or did they cost extra?

I can also name four people that will have warrant searches on them now (including myself), better make sure my paperwork is up to the nanosecond complete, the others are interstate, so you guys are safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It doesn't matter what they call it. Yes it is the OEH. Remember a pig in a hat is still a pig, just because it may look slightly different its still the same smelly pig.

Always good to see our taxes at work - good at getting names in paper, even if the facts were wrong. After the other fiasco of Jewelz and Jungleman now this......Who can say "JOB JUSTIFICATION"!

Didn't they hand out free cavity searches as well jamgo, or did they cost extra?

I can also name four people that will have warrant searches on them now (including myself), better make sure my paperwork is up to the nanosecond complete, the others are interstate, so you guys are safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My reptiles and paperwork are squeaky clean....... wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction of being able to name me on a forum or write about me in the paper!

All this does is drive more and more people to go 'underground' and keep animals without a license.

DEC go jump you useless waste of time. We only abide by you ridiculous rules as we want to keep our animals. You as a group are definitely one of the biggest wastes of tax payer money. You come on here parading that you have fined someone for not keeping records properly yet do nothing for weeks when someone steals reptiles, keeps them off licence and treats them inhumanly. Good work guys hope you proud of your self.

Quoted for truth!

I wonder if some stout soul has taken a screen capture of the opening post and lodges a complaint with the Ombudsman about this rather shameless and blatant attempt to intimidate the recreational reptile keepers of NSW.

Obviously they have time to engage in this kind of activity rather than the job that they are actually paid for.

Surely with the amount of exotics, poaching and smuggled reptiles about, they have better things to do then nit pick over paperwork???

Surely with the amount of exotics, poaching and smuggled reptiles about, they have better things to do then nit pick over paperwork???
Paperwork breaches are easy to catch and give visual displays or "results". They can then promote that they are catching the wrong-doers and justify their jobs to their bosses.
I'm generally not a government/political basher but this organisation just seems like the perfect example of a bunch of bureaucrats more concerned with insignificant, instant, reportable results rather than improving the hobby/trade and giving themselves a better name in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back