Blue Rat?? PICS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She would most likely be a cinnamon that carries blue. Cinnamon means an agouti rat that has 2 copies of the mink gene as well. I think that both parents were probably blue carriers seeing as there is only one blue baby. Have a close look at any babies that look like the mum, because they can be blue agouti (not blue carriers) and look exactly like the mum. The only tell is if you part the hair and the base is a cold steel blue instead of a warm grey.

Last edited:
Can someone explain this "blue" thing to me? I've heard someone say it before but all I see is an albino and a couple of brown ones in those first pics... :/

They are not blue like "sky blue" but a bluish shade of grey

bg2.jpg

Copyofp1.jpg

She would most likely be a cinnamon that carries blue. Cinnamon means an agouti rat that has 2 copies of the mink gene as well. I think that both parents were probably blue carriers seeing as there is only one blue baby. Have a close look at any babies that look like the mum, because they can be blue agouti (not blue carriers) and look exactly like the mum. The only tell is if you part the hair and the base is a cold steel blue instead of a warm grey.

i will see honestly this has all gone over my head. lol to many variations, so i guess their is no particular male i should cross the blue female with jsut pot luck? to see if one of the males is a carrier

oh i have bred some of those blue and white ones pictured above before. didnt keep them though. :(

i will see honestly this has all gone over my head. lol to many variations, so i guess their is no particular male i should cross the blue female with jsut pot luck? to see if one of the males is a carrier
Best thing you can do is put her father over her, if you cant do that then her brothers are your best option, although the chances are low as only 50% of the litter will carry the blue gene

Cross the blue female back to Dad to get more blues, or to a sibling to see if he carries :)

Actually, a couple of those other rats look like they could be blue based as well, it's difficult to tell in the pics...

yeah couldnt tell whihc of my males is the father. or which are her siblings. and then it all depends if i kept any of her brothers. ah well i will jsut see what happens. another one should pop up again soon i would say.

yeah couldnt tell whihc of my males is the father. or which are her siblings. and then it all depends if i kept any of her brothers. ah well i will jsut see what happens. another one should pop up again soon i would say.
If you put any male over her then all the offspring will be carriers so either way you will get more eventually

Yeah there are too many combinations to remember in one go :p Just look at that site if you want to know more. I spent ages looking at it before it all sank in :p If you want to make more blue rats quickly, put the blue female with a black male, and then all the babies will be black, but blue carriers. Then put the babies together and they should have around 50% blue babies. Don't put the female with a browny coloured one because it is dominant over the blue and they just look like the mum.

i see isee, hmm what about an albino male? i dont think i kept any black males. i think i have a wild looking coloured male maybe. what about jsut a black and white hooded one.

Sorry if you cross 2 carriers together each litter should be around 25% blue. Any rat with black on it will do :) The albino will just mask the blue if the babies turn out to get 2 copies of blue and 2 copies of albino. Better to just use black as it doesn't mask anything. Put one of the black sons back over the blue mum too. Lots of blues to be made!

Sorry if you cross 2 carriers together each litter should be around 25% blue. Any rat with black on it will do :) The albino will just mask the blue if the babies turn out to get 2 copies of blue and 2 copies of albino. Better to just use black as it doesn't mask anything. Put one of the black sons back over the blue mum too. Lots of blues to be made!

cool thanks i will organise something. because id say she will be preggos very soon if not already and shes with albino males currently

well went through the whoel colony and found one black male weaned about 2 weeks ago hes the only black male very lucky boy Ingie saved him :) him the blue and a 2 other females are in their own tub. thanks for everyones help.

Last edited:
I know it's a little off topic but has anyone seen or got speckled rats, been chasing them for ages and only evr seen a few photo's :cry:

never even heard of them. what do they look like? post a pic and you never know the amounts of rat colours that are produced by reptile keepers and probably fed off with out ever realising/caring about the colour would be a amazing i reckon.

cb142367-299a-1f62.jpg

cb142367-29d4-c9f8.jpg

This one is only patchy because it is moulting.. Looks ridiculous lol
cb142367-2a4d-a25b.jpg

Last edited:
i bred alot of blue minks & sold quite a few to another keeper.. not that rare..

Blues arent that rare these days.
I breed rats with fancy colours for feeders just because find it more interesting playing with the genes.
I have just started breeding the 'patchy' Black eye white rats and just the variation in one litter can be crazy, with none of the pups similar to their siblings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back