Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently going through the process of buying my first dragons of a couple who i wont name out of respect for them so far

they have answered all my so far questions and been friendly and great i have looked at their website which is nice and have kept contact with them as the dragons arent hatched yet..

so so far they have been great and i look forward to the email or phone call telling me they have hatched and then the call or email saying they are strong and healthy and eating well and ready to come to their new home :)

in saying that before i contacted them i left msgs and emails for another couple of sellors and not nothing back from them at all and the dude from a petstore i went to is an egg :)

Well its not about herps, its about bikes.

First im selling my honda xr80 motor bike and its up for $1400 and i have about 20 emails offering like $100 or like a trade for a bredli and enclosure, its like you serious!

And for the past 3 weeks i have been trying to get a bike off some guy. Its not cheap, it stared off and $2400, but after he had it up for a few months he brought it down to $1600 quick sale. So im like yeah give me a week ill sell my road push bike and get you the cash ASAP. So he says ok i need to put the wheel in the bike shop should be ready by monday (the day was sunday). So short its now about 2 weeks after and he was coming to drop it off today. But he texts me to tell me he cant find the spare parts that were coming with it and he would bring it another day, but you know you cant really trust someone over the internet. So hopefully he has found it and he shows up on thursday and i will get the bike :)

So were you going to buy the bike as a going concern??? or just as a bike over the internet. This is how you can be caught, what bike ? i just sold you the parts to rebuild it.

Sellers are generally rude because by the time you sell one snake you've sent 1000 emails, extra photos, in depth husbandry discussions, been abused ignored and haggled with and you just generally end up assuming everyone wanting to buy from you is an obnoxious halfwit. Which turns out to be true 90% of the time.

Not that I'm bitter...

pretty much!!

So were you going to buy the bike as a going concern??? or just as a bike over the internet. This is how you can be caught, what bike ? i just sold you the parts to rebuild it.

I dont really understand. But he is a good guy, its just hes been stuffed around so now im being stuffed around. Its a 2008 specialized demo 8.

Funny how all the 1000+ posters who SELL come out and generalise about the 9 out of 10 bad buyers !!!

No conflict of interest there hey fellas !!!

Note that the peeps who predominantly BUY have not stooped to sweeping generalisations, but instead shared a couple of poor experiences.

Speaks for itself, of the nature of the game really doesn't it?

It's that kind of attitude that encourages us to move on- If I ask questions and get short rude replies; then no way in hell am I going to acknowledge your rudeness with gratitude.

Guess that makes me a tyre kicker hey fellas ??!!!

Do you really think every person who asks a question should be obligated to jump straight on the phone after you reply in lazy shorthand!? It's a numbers game; deal with it. Those same people who call us tyre kickers are the same intelligent folk who complain when youngsters or people fresh to the scene come in and do their research by asking questions or ask breeders a million questions. You can't have it both ways. Do you want dumbed down zombie buyers or people who show that they will make good owners ?

Herp breeders (not all- but many) in my experience are the only mob that have a problem talking to newbies and buyers about their husbandry practices and the tricks of the trade with potential buyers. If I was to buy a nice puppy through breeders; which I have in the past; I am invited into their home, I drink their coffee, I get to have a look through their compound, I ask stupid questions...and guess what.... they are HAPPY to answer and accomodate because they LOVE their animals. Can you big breeders with your production-line racks of hatchies honestly say that about each of your indivdual babies ? I know a few of you personally who CAN...that's what makes you a good seller, and not a bitter animal farmer in it for the bucks !!!!

The attitude so obviously epitomised in this thread is what makes us a buyer who isn't going to waste time on a seller who doesn't see the error in his ways. If I'm spending a couple of grand; heck if I'm spending $100 on a hatchie then I'm asking questions until I'm satisifed I know all I need to know- they don't come with instructions or packaging do they...

There are breeders out there who have hndreds of animals and find the time and make the effort to make the buying experience a smooth one. The moment you pull attitude or make assumptions about the buyer is the moment you lose our business. It's simple business sense.

Now; that's me done- I'm outta this thread. Enjoy throwing poo at each other like little angry monkeys ;0)

Last edited:
I am not much of a buyer, so I won't comment on seller's conduct but I can say a few things about buyers. 95% of the people I have dealt with were polite, no nonsense and a pleasure to deal with people. However, the remaining 5% comprised idiots, rude, demanding scumbags capable of driving me nuts.

example: "how much 4 ur snakes.how many you got left can I send some photos". This message (and many others) came to me through my web site where the availability and price is clearly stated and there are photos of the snakes for sale and their parents. I still try to be polite and reply something like "please don't waste my time", which probably puts me into the "rude category", at least in the eyes of the tyre kicker who then goes around telling his mates what a DH I am.

After years of frustrations I learned to see the funny side of it and I copy & paste these pearls into a folder called "my valued customers". There are now 3 pages of abuse, stupidity and some great literary masterpieces. I might publish this collection one day. :D

on the rare occasions that i do sell im very picky about who i will sell to as my reps are my pets and i love them!
i dont have to sell, im not trying to make money, i would rather keep them then have them go to a not so good home. i feel the need to give every possible bit of information to the possible buyer but thats just me...

What about when you have work commitments and can't get their till a certain day and the seller says the will hold the animal for you but sells it a day before you have a chance to get there.

What about when you have work commitments and can't get their till a certain day and the seller says the will hold the animal for you but sells it a day before you have a chance to get there.

Simple: put down a deposit. The same happens in every shop or on-line shops, they won't hold anything for you unless they see some money. Having said that, you probably want to see the animal before putting any money down. It's a hard game.

Simple: put down a deposit. The same happens in every shop or on-line shops, they won't hold anything for you unless they see some money. Having said that, you probably want to see the animal before putting any money down. It's a hard game.

Agree. I had a guy ring me (lives around here) about a certain animal that someone else he knew was after. Rang me a couple of times, no deposit, no definately saying that he wanted it ( with people I know, I will hold if it is a definate) inbetween all this, someone came, wanted it straight away. This guy then rang me, but tough, he missed out. So, at times, first in best dressed.

I had a part-time mailorder business that came out of my one of lifelong hobbies and my attitude was that if the potential customer wants details and information about a product, even if it was time consuming to provide these and more often than not they didn't buy then that was the nature of selling. Good customer relations produces good feedback to other potential customers. (No the business don't fail - I retired it when I retired from the workforce, I still get calls from old customers, a lot of whom became friends).

There is no excuse for being rude to your potential customers, be nice to them and even if you don't get a sale on this occasion , the chances are they will spread the word and your business will grow. If you are rude to your customers and don't like answering lots of basic questions, maybe you should get out of the business since you are cutting your own throat. Bad news spreads fast, so does poor customer feedback.

Also since people here breed and sell reptiles, IMO if they don't truely love the animals and are only in the trade for the $ they should get out, since they probably mistreat their animals too since they are ONLY SALEABLE COMMODITIES TO THEM and not really pets or friends or treated as scaley family members.

Last edited:
Had only nice people with snakes , buying and selling , but with cars I have had some loonies . Like the people who put a deposit on a very cheap V8 Holden ute , stalled me for weeks while I had to knock back legit offers , then said " We have changed our minds , can we have the deposit back ? " HA HA HA HA HA HA .

Also since people here breed and sell reptiles, IMO if they don't truely love the animals and are only in the trade for the $ they should get out, since they probably mistreat their animals too since they are ONLY SALEABLE COMMODITIES TO THEM and not really pets or friends or treated as scaley family members.

Hmmmm, I wonder what SR, SxR, URS and other businesses would have to say about this. I don't believe for one moment that they mistreat their animals. How can you have hundreds of pets as family members? Business with animals can be run ethically without loving each and every animal in stock.

Also since people here breed and sell reptiles, IMO if they don't truely love the animals and are only in the trade for the $ they should get out, since they probably mistreat their animals too since they are ONLY SALEABLE COMMODITIES TO THEM and not really pets or friends or treated as scaley family members

That is a load of utter crap Ian.

I do not love my reptiles. To me they are the same as goldfish swimming around an aquarium, all they are is enjoyable to look at. I have no emotional attachment to them, i have a dog and human friends for that.

Do you really think that people like Gavin Bedford (who brought us albino olives, glauerts, glebos and helped to brings us albino darwins) were in love with those animals, do you really think they would mistreat their animals and what is wrong with treating them as saleable items?

Last edited by a moderator:
The same thing here. I love my wife, not my snakes ...... but I look after them "with love".

A few years ago I chewed the ear off a seller. I needed to know this and need to know that. He probably thought I was the biggest pain in the backside. I did tell him that I was just enquiring. A few years later (when I could actually afford the animals) I ended up buying at least four lovely animals off him and at every opportunity I promote what great animals he has etc. So , it does pay to be nice to people, BUT I was always respectful and polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back