Licence breaches result in $3,000 fine

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The DEC is a disgrace to NSW just like the DECC is a disgrace to WA. When will the Ministers and other pollies wake up and give these departments severe shake up. Why can things be so easy in Qld, NT and SA and so hideously difficult in NSW and WA?
You're forgetting Vic.

Hahaha.....C.Bayo....another of DECC's sly accounts surely. No one could be that naive. If you are for real, your a dreamer. Its people like you who are so fearful of these worms that you defend them, and in the process actually help feed their continuing bullying tactics by trying to justify their petty and pointless behaviour.

Obey and defend your masters C.Bayo and hope they never hassle you like all the other law abiding reptile keepers they look down on.

That's it guys, we've had our 'official' cameo. See you next time you get something done, DEC. Scuse me if I don't hold my breath.

Please ignore my ignorance for I have only access to the information supplied here and in the news article. BUT...a plea of guilty is a plea ofguilty. why isnt the book at home, why werent the permits acquired???

Yes I agree, only minor matters, and $3000 does seem excessive. I hope a conviction wasnt recorded.

Please dont flame me as it seems I'm the only one looking at it from the other side (obviously without knowing the whole situation), but I would have thought these trivial matters would have been reasonably easy to avoid by just making sure the basics are done correctly.

saying that.....Ihavnt had to deal with DEC NSW or Queensland, and so I'm not aware of the obvious fustrations with this department that are out there, , however have had dealings with SA and they were OK.

Time to get check the paperwork and book I suppose to make doubly sure from now on.

So would I for example also get in trouble for not keeping an up to date record book even though after 5 phone calls and two emails the DEC still HAVE NOT sent me a paper record book as I've frequently requested? I've never found anyone or anything so difficult and painful to deal with!
I have so many scraps of paper that transactions are written on that I wouldn't even no where to begin when I one day, eventually, hopefully but unlikely get a record book again.

You are fairly correct Bowdnboy. If the person was following the rules he never would have gotten in trouble. I think the bigger issue that people take exception with is that a) there are bigger issues that should be getting targeted over minor paperwork slipups and b) what was their motivation for posting this man's personal details on the internet?
Considering the typical bureaucratic speed with which anything gets done for those of us who pay a decent fee for the privilege of keeping native wildlife, this just seems hypocritical and unjust.

I don't get why people are complaining that they haven't received paper books when they clearly have computers and access to the internet, can someone let me know why you'd want a paper book over doing it electronically, is there a benefit here Im missing?

yep, couldnt agree more saximus.

Unfortunately in this case for that gentleman, Its a fortunate lesson for the rest of us, we now know were we stand I suppose in relation to this sort of thing.

I'll be making doubly sure everythings correct.

It does seem a bit odd that if what I'm hearing is correct and NSW DEC take forever to even send out your logbook, that they would be so willing and quick to post this in the manner it was posted in the first place.

i have a e-book account i cant access, 6 different passwords & 15 emails back n forth with them & i still cant access it, waiting for my paper book aswell...

i have a e-book account i cant access, 6 different passwords & 15 emails back n forth with them & i still cant access it, waiting for my paper book aswell...

I use the e-book but also like to keep an excel (2010) spreadsheet thats formatted similar to the old DECC book. you can add columns etc and keep an accurate record on your computer as well as a copy on a USB memory stick.

I've attached a basic excel spreadsheet if its of any use to you.

I have to take my hat off to jamgo (if I had one that is).He is a big enough person to admit that he did the wrong thing. Very few would do that and I have total respect for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to take my hat off to jamgo (if I had one that is).He is a big enough person to admit that he did the wrong thing. Very few would do that and I have total respect for him.

I agree Fay.. but in what appears on face value to be a paperwork violation $3000 seems an extraordinary high fine. I dont know the full facts of the siuation but in the spirit of co-operation and friendliness I would have thought a warning and at the most a slap on the wrist fine would have been more appropriate.

I'd also like to see The DECC (and other state equivalents) run maybe on a weekend a free seminar to new keepers (and older ones that may be interested) on basic reptile husbandry including housing feeding handling etc by employing licenced snake handlers in each state such as neville burns, tony harrison etc etc to give them. maybe a talk from wires about wildlife and the problems faced in the environment, a basic talk on hygene and diseases by a vet & also a talk from the DECC on filling out the reptile books, rules and regulations etc

to run such a program on a regular basis may be difficult but if it was videotaped and given out as a free DVD to new keepers and other interested keepers so everyone is on the same page and aware of responsibilities and have some intructions to be a responsible keeper it would be a great move in my opinion..

giving someone a reptile licence after they pay the fee but with no or little information seems a little inappropriate to me and Im sure theres a better way. It would be a good initiative in my view by the DECC to show they care about reptiles and want us to enjoy our hobby appropriately and start to build some co-operation between keepers and government departments instead of the "them Vs us" mentality that seems to exist on both sides. we pay a considerable amount in licence fees import export fees etc so it would be great to see the department giving keepers a little more assistance and something back that helps everyone. just a thought anyway but would like to see the DEC comment on this idea. cheers

Last edited:
Shame on the DECC for bringing this matter on to a public forum. Further more, shame on the individual at the DECC for posting this with the person's name throughout. I realise that convictions are a public matter, But what possible purpose does this really serve? Or is this another case of "We're the government, do as we say or feel the wrath of a public servant"

I completely agree with Colin's above post. A little more information directed at keepers new and old about the paper trail expected by the DECC would be great. The new eRecords is a great system, but how hard is it to make a simple Screen Cast for YouTube on how to use the system...?

Oh, hold on... better not ask a public servant to go that little bit extra...

Another waste of taxpayer dollars. They have obviously posted this to try and prove they do more than sit in front of their computers playing games. Where is the conservation here? Busting a bloke who contributes more to the science than the whole of DEC put together. No mention in this article of the DEC mining deal that will destroy inland western NSW habitats.

Lisa Corbyn MUST be a wildlife expert, considering the position she holds. I wonder what actual contributions she has made? I've done some looking and the short answer is NONE.

DEC you are a joke!

No mention in this article of the DEC mining deal that will destroy inland western NSW habitats.

Vegez is it possible for you to start a new thread with some links and information on this mining situation please? I don't watch much news but would be interested to know more of this situation. thanks

Pretty useless. I organised my license weeks ago, sent an email to licensing and they were kind enough to send me my license number via email(after I explained that I had a seller waiting who was getting impatient so they knew I was going to purchase animals straight away with it) saying that my paperwork would be in the mail within a few days, well that was weeks ago now and I have two snakes and some lizards in my ownership and license details sitting here waiting to be entered but I can't actually fill anything out because I have no record book to fill in and no log in details to do it online...

I think some may have missed the point, its not about fines and guilty or not its about what you are subjected to before and after !
My five year old had to sit in the gutter on a road side in mid 30 degree heat on the way back from a camping trip because police where acting on intelligence given to them.And if you think its only guilty people who are subjected to things like this you are sadly mistaken.

Totally agree Jamgo. Very degrading having these "people" sifting through all your personal stuff with little to no justification. Their treatment of any bystanders (people in your house, but not license holders), leaves a lot to be desired. My wife was furious that all her personal items were handled (she has nothing to do with wildlife).
These "officers" need to remember, that we are all human beings. Just because we have a wildlife license dose not give them the right to foresake our right to privacy.

Wait, so this DEC fella, is from department of environment and conservation, and him (they) are making this post to what, brag? Someone please tell me if on the right page here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back