Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first looked at it I agreed with you Jordan, but I tried blowing it up real bit and what looked to be a light patch behind the eye really isn't present. So I am not sure it is a D.psamophis. Hard to tell from the pic.

Mate, you should probably call out a snake-catcher. I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction..

No it's alive and I think somewhere under the house. Should I get someone to find and remove it or will it go away by itself?
If you see it again, call a snake catcher. if it's just a young brown snake, then it is probably passing through and will not stay under the house.
Looks like a type of whipsnake from the pics and again, it probably wont like living under your house.
They can be hard to find once you lose sight of them, even more so if they had a scare.

Yellow faced whip, where you are, very unlikely a brown

I'm not familiar with any of the snakes from that area but i'm getting much more of a EB feel off that than a YFS. I can see a smudge on the nape that could be the reminants of juvie patterning and the pic makes it look like it has flared it's neck out the same way nuchalis do but not the way i've seen any of our whips go. If the flaring is just from the picture then and the snake was from somwhere more inland or north i could be convinced that it is a lesser black or one of the other smaller whips but without a strike through the eye i don't think i could call a YFS a possibility.

It is a little skinny... for a brown though.

Never seen a Brown in Collaroy, but dont risk your life on it..lol......Whip!

Unfortunately that all the pictures I have of it. I live in the Northern Beaches (Collaroy) of Sydney.

Wow i was surfing there with school today, you see us? Sorry nothing to do with the snake haha

Siigh..I'll do it then. This bloke's in woongarrah, supposedly he knows what he's doing- 0438 280 168- he'll give you free advice. I think call out is like $50.

Last edited:
just took a second look and I agree with the others.... Eastern Brown. Just make sure you don't shovel it and have some respect for our native wildlife... if the snake hangs around call a snake catcher and instruce your kids what to do if they see a snake.

looks like a swamp snake, not completely sure. Browns can often be confused with swamp snakes. Swamp snakes are harmless but browns i would be worried about.

ive lived half my life on the northern beaches...

just by the quickest of glances i can tell it is a whip snake..

i have never come across a eastern in the Coll area and this is to slender to be one..
and looks like the other 1000 whips i caght in the area..

Juvi browns atthat size in Sydney are not so uniformed in colour...

But i will bet my savings on that being a Whip Snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back