Where is the Conservation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yea! When I worked at the croc park, we used to market small packages of dry croc faeces with a funny label "croc crap". We got away with it because technically, it wasn't a by-product of protected species, since the crocodiles "voluntarily discarded" their s...s. However, when I collected croc teeth from the bottom of the pool and had them set in silver caps (as pendants), I was breaking the law. The reason being; apparently, broken teeth during croc fights were not voluntarily discarded, they were forcibly knocked out. I felt like doing the same to that idiot Ranger.

Oh yea! When I worked at the croc park, we used to market small packages of dry croc faeces with a funny label "croc crap". We got away with it because technically, it wasn't a by-product of protected species, since the crocodiles "voluntarily discarded" their s...s. However, when I collected croc teeth from the bottom of the pool and had them set in silver caps (as pendants), I was breaking the law. The reason being; apparently, broken teeth during croc fights were not voluntarily discarded, they were forcibly knocked out. I felt like doing the same to that idiot Ranger.

Lol what did he think the crocs where going to put the teeth back in haha

You get charged for milking a snake for science but He Who Must Not Be Named can rip out venom glands and get away with it? I just dont get it

Kimberlyann,
Correct, and herein lies the problem. The regulations are not applied consistantly, whether it's because the officer's lack expertise or because they are always scrambling to keep up.

The end result is a system that fails almost every time and a lot of confused people.

All the Best.

I would like to tell my side of the story (as I am also involved in the DEC mentioned investigation. I have held a wildlife license for over 20 years now, and over the years I have never denied wildlife officers access to animals on any occasion. However, that did not stop them (DSE Vic) arriving with a search warrant and police in tow.

I dont quite understand. Why is it that DSE targeted you? Was there a complaint made? What were the other charges?

Wow what a thread, For years i have been encouraged to remove dead wildlife off the roads to protect carrion feeders like Wedge tailed eagles etc and have also encouraged others to do so. This makes no sense at all. Sounds like a rule they never enforce but have decided to throw the book. Feel for you Bud.

as a kid i was always taught to remove any roadkill from the side of the road, all it does is cause accidents and more animal deaths, to the post above i heard on the radio yesterday that a study in tasmania showed 370 tassie devils were killed last year on roads. most typically because they were scavenging the roadkill already there. so if we all stop removing these dead animals the DEC or whoever wont have any animals left to protect, as we will run them all over .

Just further proof these hillbilly knuckleheads think they are Miami Vice. Did any of them sport mullet haircuts?? Sometimes I wonder if people would be better off unlicensed to avoid being targeted by these morons - but that would be illegal, and don't support illegal activities :) Haven't they got anything better to be doing?

Haven't they got anything better to be doing?

They do but this their harvest, their monumental achievement, it's something they can publicise and pat themselves on the shoulder. How else would the public know what a wonderful job they're doing? The TV silly season is approaching, it may be a good time to offer some controversial material to Current Affair and other media. Being charged for removing a road kill or milking a snake could be very interesting, presented the right way. It may even get the Minister's attention.

Jay,
My thoughts exactly. The charge is worded "interferring with native wildlife without permission" (apparently it doesn't matter if it's dead or alive). Ludicrous!

The charges for milking the snakes is "taking a sample from a protected species without permission". Were the snakes you were milking your own? So i need permission if i want to go and milk MY SNAKES ?!?!?!

The wildlife officers involved harrassed me over a period of 6 months, even showing up unannounced at my place of employment (breaching several OH&S regulations in the process, placing more lives in danger, including their own). Lucky they weren't hurt.... that would have been a shame wouldn't it.

After 20 years of keeping reptiles, recording and publishing my experiences, this situation and the way it has been handled by the DSE has had me questioning, why bother keeping & contributing anymore. .

Just further proof these hillbilly knuckleheads think they are Miami Vice. Did any of them sport mullet haircuts?? Sometimes I wonder if people would be better off unlicensed to avoid being targeted by these morons - but that would be illegal, and don't support illegal activities :) Haven't they got anything better to be doing?
This is what will happen. The more they act like retards the more ppl are going to push back. Get rid of their licenses and keep animals illegally. hey, then we can all keep exotics!

Yep. By law in all states and territories accidental kills have to be left to rot where they fall.

So why don't they go and charge every wildlife carer or person who takes roadkill rescues to carers or vets?

i'm sick of the DEC and all these things they are doing and the same with those bloody national parks people who think they rule the roost!

No comment from our friendly neighbourhood DEC representative? SHOCKING.

i don't know how it works in NSW, but the best way to get back at a public servant/s who has/have wronged you (in Qld) by far is writing a letter to the minister complaining about their actions. i have done this for harassment by police once over an administrative issue and was treated like a criminal.

as a public servant myself, who has had to answer ministerial responses, i can assure you that they take it seriously. be precise, admit that your record book/paperwork maybe have been slightly out of date, list the regulations they breached. attach or link your previous publications/work. explain your history with snakes. be specific in what you want them to do about it, get the minister to explain how taking your mobile phone was a legitimate and not dangerous thing to do.

trust me, i got an apology from the cops when i did it. and it goes on record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back