Looking for Firemen. Have a few questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricko

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Looking for anyone in Vic who is a full time CFA fireman/woman? Just have a few questions to ask as i have my first interview stage coming up and i really don't wanna suff it up so i was after some tips.

Thanks
Ricko

No fireys on this site? Got invited back after the first interview so am very happy and have my challenge day on thursday so fingers crossed

I know the biggest fail rate in WA is the BA test. They put you in BA, black you out and make you crawl through a confined space and twist you and turn you. You come out stand up and have to point to the direction you came from. what exactly do you want to know?

With jobs like this mate I can tell you that if there is a days work they will always be looking for someone that can work well in a team can lead and take criticism really well I'm not a fireman but have a similar government job that

Cheers Brenton

I did not think that they had fire fighters (at least Rural) in Vic & just let the state burn LOL.
Sorry not a very nice joke, but at least in Qld we do a bit To help ourselves that is with control burning & fire breaks etc.

Do they teach you any of that? or is it more city fire brigade?

Cheers

I did not think that they had fire fighters (at least Rural) in Vic & just let the state burn LOL.
Sorry not a very nice joke, but at least in Qld we do a bit To help ourselves that is with control burning & fire breaks etc.

Do they teach you any of that? or is it more city fire brigade?

Cheers

Whoooooah there. You're the one who's thingo says "don't believe everything you hear and read"...
I grew up in victoria. We did burning off and made firebreaks EVERY year. As did everyone. We were taught to deal with fires by the time we knew what a fire was. However. The government, and other people, now say that burning off is damaging the environment, and have stopped people from doing it. I have no doubt many people would be doing it if they could. As well as clearing fire breaks (but we're no longer allowed to cut down trees).
The bushfires burned too fast and too hot. It went from the equivalent of the NSW border to Toowoomba in one afternoon. There is no way to fight that.
The government are learning. Cattle are now allowed to graze in areas of the high country again, to keep weeds and undergrowth under control. Eventually, hopefully, burning off and clearing land for firebreaks will be allowed again too.
Believe me, there were MANY firefighters out there fighting those fires. Many of them are there every year, burning off, controlling outbreaks, working.
Also, I currently live in Queensland, and for the last few weeks there have been so many fires around my area I can barely see to drive through the smoke to go home from uni some days. Pretty sure they aren't just "burning off".

Am going for the CFA in a Career firefighting position. BA and mask is worn going through a 6 metre blacked out tunnel going backwards with only an inch clearance if your lucky.

Had more questions originally to do with the screening interview but i aced that so hopefully if i finish within the time limit of the challenge i get an invite for the final interviews.

Go hard Ricko! I'm aiming for the Feb intake so I might be asking you questions haha Good luck man.

No worries man. Perfect time to try to get in as there will be 342 new fireman/woman inducted over the next 5-6 years so that means we have a better chance but applications were up massively as well. Almost 2k more applied, but having the beep test up first knocks out people and puts people off straight away also.

Only 240ish left in my intake for about 75 possibly 100 recruit course spots.

im a emergency response officer on the mines and dont be too worryed about the ba just keep calm if you worry too much you use up too much oxygen and start getting disorientated and loose your sense of direction then you would be in the ****. at least you can walk through the tunnel some of the confined spaces we go through you can hardley move and you have too take your ba off your back and guide it through the space first before you can enter.

but good luck with the selection process

I just have to be able to carry a person, carry a first aid kit and do CPR for 5 mins straight as a yearly fitness test for St. John volunteers. Just as well I've done that before. My aim is to be able to do cert 2 in emergency medical derives and be trained in medication, oxygen therapy and advanced life support.

Good luck on the ba test and I hope you make it to the final interview and into recruitment. To all you adelaidians; I'll hopefully at the pagent in the first aid tent.

9.6 which i found not too difficult. Got the challenge test tomorrow afternoon can't wait

Last edited:
Well i passed the challenge in good time but it was TOUGH. Alot harder than i first thought it would be. BA was fine with the mask on and had to carry the tank for nearly the whole challenge which is tough as 20kg on your back while doing various things is hard.

Have my final interview in February for the recruit course that starts in june so i am very excited and raring to have my interview but nervous as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back