New to having a snake and after all the info I can get :-)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shhnake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have just got my first snake, bought him off a guy who couldnt and wasnt really paying it much attention, not sure what sex (how can you tell) but its a coastal python about 1 and ahalf years old, about 1.3m long and havent weighed him yet but going to soon. I built him a new enclosure as the one he was in was flat with no height, and so far hes loving it, its 1200mm high, 900mm long and 600mm deep, will post pics shortly. he is a bit bitey has bit me a few times when trying to get him out so am after some advice on why he might be so bitey? once out of his cage hes fine, i take him out and sit with him in the sun so he can bask and get some real UV light. He feeds well, one weaner mouse every 6-7 days and smashes it down no worries. the enclosure is about 28 degrees all the time, he has a heat rock and a basking light on a ledge up the top of the cage, he used both regularly, he has a hollow tree trunk in the bottom of the cage where he goes after feeding and after i put it back in the enclosure, anyone know why this is or is it purely a comfort thing for him? does anyone know anything bout worming snakes and how to do it? how often should he shed, and from what i read, not to pick him up when hes shedding, when else is not a good idea? I thought id done alot of research but im forever learning more and more, quite amazed at my new pet actually, any help would be awesome thanks everyone who replies with something good :)

My 2 cents is thats its normal for him to hide if he has just eaten. A full stomach makes them slow and vulnerable, so they keep to themselves while digesting. Weigh him. I have been told to feed approx 10% of body weight? I may stand corrected though.

i don’t have snakes but that doesn’t sound like enough food to me... is that what the owner before you was feeding him?:D

And yeah, large meals less frequently. Not small meals often -thats only for dieting humans :)

Steer clear of heat rocks! Snakes are slower than lizards when it comes to realizing it's too hot, I've seen snakes with terrible burns from heat rocks. Go for a heat light and guard instead
And he's probably bitty because the other owner never handled him? Just keep trying and he should settle down. And def up his food size

My 1.7 metre coastal eats an extra large rat every 10 days, so I'd change it onto at least small adult rats

Thanks everyone for the replies, I was starting to think he wasnt get enough food, it is what the previous owner was feeding him, I will feed him again tonight, 4 days since his last meal, would this be ok? and definitely i will be upping his meal size asap, as for the heat rock i will be turning it off soon as it now getting warm enough, what temp would you suggest for his enclosure?

Weaned mice are about 13-18 grams each and a 1.3 metre coastal should be having around 30+grams.

thanks fang, would it be ok to feed him another mouse 4 days since his last one or should i just go straight onto a rat next feed?

Have you got some to use up? I had the same thing when I got my fella, previous owner had been feeding him small and I just bought the size he said but then realized he needed something bigger, I had a few small ones left so I fed him two for a couple of feeds to use them up and then went on to the bigger ones after that

I would use the rest of the smaller ones but give it two, then latter give him the bigger rats

Large meals, less frequently. Otherwise he is in a constant state of digestion. So feed multiples in one feed. My Coastal has a temp range from 15-16 up to 35+ he chooses where he wants to hang out...

cool thanks very much for that, i shouldve acted on my first instinct that he might be hungry still

Try using a hook to get him out, just to at least let him know your coming and as soon as you lift him up then grad a hold of him, i do it with all my snakes and i have only ever been striked at once by a baby jungle for just sticking my hand in :) and yes deffinantly up the feeding size

Thanks kim, i have a hook that i just got but being in a new enclosure ive just waited to let him settle down for a few weeks, LOVE these as pets though they are awesome!!

What weight should my coastal be roughly at 1.3m would anyone have a healthy ball park figure?

Last edited:
Just an update... Fed him his first hoppa rat changing from weaned mice tonight, smashed it to pieces! One happy snake and owner

A good rule of thumb for frequency that I've been told is to always wait until your snake has pooped his/her last meal before feeding them again.. ;) and also my 1.2m MD takes weaner rats roughly fortnightly without a second thought so dont be affraid to go up another size in the near future... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back