Ideas Wanted! - Forming an Australia Reptile Keepers Association/Group

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamNabz

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Continuing on from the discussion that started in the 'Licence breaches' thread regarding having a national reptile keepers association, Australian reptile keepers are in desperate need of a group to help them voice their opinions.

Below is the original post I made in the other thread to fish for ideas on how we can get the ball rolling:

SamNabz said:
If a group like the NRKA or similar can be beneficial to the hobby and influence decisions made/put forward, then what would it take to form such a group?

Where do we start? Who will lead? What can be promised?..

I understand that it takes time and money to put this sort of group together, which I’m sure a majority of us keepers, will be more than happy to put forward if it would definitely make a difference. But what else?

Someone also mentioned having a website or similar to create awareness and show people that such a group is out there. I’m willing to design a website free of charge to get the ball rolling; along with banners/flyers/mail outs etc. to get the word out.

Would be good to get some ideas flowing so we can make an idea like this, a reality - so feel free to add something or anything really..

Feel free to post any/all ideas and offers here - whether they are positive, negative, dream, reality etc.

After all, if we don't do something about the rubbish decisions being made by useless bureaucrats, who will?

I would suggest you be very careful about who you approach to help you, or offers to help you, and, if that person has any access to funds carefully investigate their background, because the answer will be there.
Just a heads up ;)

Good luck with it all :)

typo

OK Michelle, we got the message, you can relax now.
What am I all about? shellfish knows and that's enough.

I copy here my last post from the other thread:

It depends on the magnitude of what things we want changed and how. Some will be happy to see small changes in their own State / Territory, others are looking for fundamental changes across the nation.
For example, we aren't happy about the import / export permits, the time they take and the money they cost. Most of the wildlife agencies are breaking the law pertaining to free interstate trade. They know it, we know it but to make any changes requires consultations with a constitutional barrister (can you imagine what their fees are like?) and then a Supreme Court action. We are talking huge money here but that's what needs to be done - start at the top, deliver few solid punches to soften them up and then take them bit by bit. Be assured that such action will create a lot of interest and support from the politicians and media.

So, the question is - who will put up the money?

Last edited:
The website sounds a great idea, even with the basic info of:

What DEC are allowed to do as contained in the licence.

YOUR RIGHTS

I know of at least 2-5 people that have been harrassed / bullied to firstly gain entry, and for info, even coming to their place of work.

We/you need to work out what you want first. Otherwise you'll end up mirroring the occupy melbourne movement where no one knew there **** from the elbow.

The website sounds a great idea, even with the basic info of:

What DEC are allowed to do as contained in the licence.

YOUR RIGHTS

Good idea but would need to be checked by a solicitor. Whilst they are making mistakes all the time, we have to be 100% right.

Info for complaining, etc - at the moment we dont have one direct point of contact for complaining / results. I know it has been done in other threads, but if it is in a basic website, hopefully we may be able to get some results from the volume.

I know generally solicitors like to charge, but maybe at least one of them may have an interest in snakes and be on this website?

< snipped for brevity >

For example, we aren't happy about the import / export permits, the time they take and the money they cost. Most of the wildlife agencies are breaking the law pertaining to free interstate trade. < snipped for brevity>

I would be pushing for this and a standard set of laws nation wide, in regards to keeping, species kept, licensing, etc.

I think these issues lay at the heart of most issues when dealing with the various different state run bodies.

I think the biggest problem is that each state has completely different rules & regulations. I think the focus should be on forming a group to represent each state, once established & functioning these smaller groups could come together to form a national voice.

I think the biggest problem is that each state has completely different rules & regulations. I think the focus should be on forming a group to represent each state, once established & functioning these smaller groups could come together to form a national voice.
I think that's a great idea, as I can imagine problems could arise if a national organisation took one state to task on a point, members from other states may start to question where their money is going to etc

I think that's a great idea, as I can imagine problems could arise if a national organisation took one state to task on a point, members from other states may start to question where their money is going to etc

I agree. However, the States and Territory wildlife agencies will never agree to uniform laws across the nation (for obvious reasons), so this particular issue would have to dealt with through Canberra, so would be the free interstate trade matter. That's where a national body would have stronger voice that many smaller voices coming from all corners of the country. JMO.

Jamie,I think the concept of a NRKA is a very good one and most people I know tend to think the same.The only problem that I was aware of was that a lot of people were a bit uneasy having it set up and run by a self appointed group.I think a much better way to get the ball rolling would be to approach ALL the herp societies to elect a member from each society try and kick things off.As you know I offered to help you in any way,shape or form that I could and I am sure lots of others would of done the same.

There certainly is a place for the NARKA but the place is NSW. They have never ever entertained anything on the national scale. This is not a criticism, just my observation, perhaps if they dropped the "N" or added SW after the N, it would be more appropriate.

I know you offered support Rams, and so did heaps of others too - I thank you for that. My understanding of the initial moves to get the ball rolling was that it was just that - a few savvy people who know the ropes and are aware of the major problems would assemble the nuts & bolts (incorporation, bank accounts etc...) and then throw the whole thing open to the keepers in general - meaning a new election of the executive by a wider group, and the selection of the most appropriate path to follow from there. To be fair to those early thinkers, they are all VERY busy people and most would freely admit that they have little of the time needed to contribute to such a concept. It would also be fair to say that the very reason it has stalled at this point in time is the very same reason.

I don't think there was any intention to hijack the agenda by any of the foundation members - all seemed (to me) to want inclusivity, as I do, it was just seen as way to get things started. It's usually easier to start something with a small focus group than it is with an enormous committee which can turn into a bunfight. I'm not terminally bruised by my recent experiences, and I would look forward to participating if something eventuates in the future - I'm a glutton for punishment!

Jamie

Again I think it should be thrown at all the herp societies,maybe for a start to engage hobbyists as to what such an association would be trying to achieve,how it would be run etc and ask for their thoughts and ideas that may warrant consideration.To my way of thinking to get the word out so to speak societies would be an ideal outlet to get the "facts" out without them being tainted by the "wreckers"

The problem is that there is so much to be done, and so many ideas out there, there won't ever be a clear starting point. Unless a foundation group gets the thing set up to start with, it won't ever get off the ground. Then you have to get people to take the responsibility... sounds simple, but not an easy task.

Jamie

I am going to be off the radar for some time but I am very interested to help if I can.

cheers
M

The foundation group could come from each herp society,1 elected member from each society the same way the group was formed to have input into the code of practice.

The foundation group could come from each herp society,1 elected member from each society the same way the group was formed to have input into the code of practice.

The only thing is Mark that you'd likely get the same people being put forward as the ideas people/spokespersons for the proposed group. Ideally, anyone who is articulate, experienced with reptiles, has a broad understanding of the legislation across the country (concerned about the big picture rather than just what's happening in their own backyard), can work effectively with bureaucrats (if that's possible these days lol!), and most importantly has the time and motivation to put into it, would be useful in getting things moving. I have to say that individuals like this are rare outside the group we are already familiar with. That's not to say they don't exist, and I'd certainly be very pleased if the stable of capable people who are able to spend the time was enlarged... and by time we're talking years before any great changes will occur. The state bureaucracies are SLOW moving beasts, especially as they will be highly resistant to change and the key is persistence. We know from the experience with the Code of Practice here in NSW that if they have an agenda and they want to persist with it, they simply ignore the voices of dissent and hope you'll just give up. I was involved in this stuff in WA for decades before moving to NSW, it's a very long process to get change, and we need to know exactly what changes we seek before setting out.

Jamie

Most associations are formed initially through a group of people who get together, put up the money, nut out the paperwork and constitution and create a steering committee. The constitution will require elections under regulations provide by Fair Trading. Elections usually take place after the first 12 months from the act of association.
If you wait for interest to form in the various herp societies you have exactly what is fomenting in this thread, sorry Michael, regional parochialism. NRKA was formed in NSW out of a previous body during the introction of contentious issues being undertaken within NSW. It should be one branch of a network of NRKAs constitute in each state with an umbrella body made up from each branch. State branches would deal with local issues and the combined groups would deal with federal and crossover state issues. The Wildlife authorities in each state seem to be working together quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back