New WA cat laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering when WA would get with the program, the east coast has been doing this for years. It's good to hear that some progress has been made

Good news - for the responsible ones.

Too little too late is my guess though.

Wish NSW would introduce similar cat control laws.

Even better - CSIRO should develop a flea transmitted lethal to cats only desease to help exterminate stray and feral and uncared for cats.

The practice of port corporations and local councils who collect cats regularly from the pound and release them to fend for themselves in parks and on the foreshore of our major ports and on the breakwaters is not helping the situation regarding the control of and elimination of feral cats and stray cats (their excuse is they control rat populations) too bad they also pray on penguins, lizards, and other indigenious animals.

Last edited:
They certainly are, if your pet ends up atthe pound you will have to pay for it to be desexed chipped and registered as well as a large fine before you can take it home.

Good. Cats aren't a right. If you can't afford to be a responsible owner, then don't own it.

no one has forgot Jean.. The fact is that they shouldn't exist on this continent. My biggest beef would be that anyone can get a cat in WA. (we are talking about WA in this thread!) but we cant own a jungle or diamond python. Hell we cant even own a rough scale python that is only found in WA. The reason for us not having these animals is conservation... Seems a bit pointless if there is no regulations on Cats doesn't it?
Each to their own. My property is MINE. And I don't tollerate other peoples pets on my land no matter what they are or who they belong to. If you love it, then keep it safe and off my land.....

But cats weren't in this country before European settlement. Saber tooths are not even close to relevant to this issue

The cat act should also say that they should also be kept indoors or in a run area. Being registered and micro chipped and desexed won't stop them killing natives.

Jeannine as much as you push it upon other people that 'cats were here first don't hurt them' the fact is, they weren't. We aren't talking about giant prehistoric beings or wild animals on the other side of the world in their natural environment, we're talking about domesticated and then released or escaped feral pussy cats, that haven't been sterilised, breeding prolifically in a place that has never had a predominant predator that can and will catch, kill and play with anything that moves. Instinct or not, that makes it a human responsibility. We brought them here, we should control them, no matter how harsh it may seem by cat lovers, tree huggers or anyone else. We have a problem, we should be fixing it, now at least people are trying. If you really care about your animals you do what's in their best interests, not necessarily what their instinct wants you to let them do. If anyone believes cats should be allowed to roam and breed willy nilly, killing natives and destroying kid's sandpits with their crap and wee, they shouldn't own one. Go live somewhere they have wild pussy cats or something.

Yes, at up to 12 native vertebrates killed per day per cat, and an estimated 100,000 cats (I'd say on a conservative side probably) that means... Yep.... Up to 1.2 million native vertebrates per day are killed in the Kimberly region!

And even if that is the upper limit - the lower limit suggest 500,000 or there abouts... Not so cutey cutey after all!

Even better - CSIRO should develop a flea transmitted lethal to cats only desease to help exterminate stray and feral and uncared for cats.
How hard would that be?

Wish NSW would introduce similar cat control laws.

T
My cat is cared for and still gets fleas occasionally, I think your idea not only extreme but a bit ignorant

So what about cat breeders? Registered breeders? Will they have to get their cats desexed??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back