Skin ID help pls

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthSouthWales

Reaction score
We've just moved to the Lismore NSW area and found a snake skin hanging near our front door today (see picture). Later it fell down (see other 2 pictures) and gave the ants a field day. We're pretty sure it's the skin of an eastern brown snake, but being new to the area, we'd like some confirmation. I know the pictures aren't the best, but I hope they show enough detail.

On a more paranoid note: if that was a brown snake shedding its skin near our front door, how long would it have been there? Minutes, hours, days?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• P1020032.JPG
    P1020032.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 201
  • P1020034.JPG
    P1020034.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 187
  • P1020035.JPG
    P1020035.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 198
my opinion looks like a brown scales and due to the size of the snake theres not many others that can grow so big try placeing moth balls around the perimiter of your house and in the roof the snake dont like the sent it puts off (cant blame them lol) but i thought it was a old wives tale till i put my dig hungry dp in his feeding tank and placed em around the rat and he would not touch it and had trouble feeding him for weeks in that container hope this helps

It's not an Eastern Brown, don't worry, they don't climb into rafters like that, it's just a harmless carpet python skin, as for the length of time it's been there, it'd be hard to tell.

It's not an Eastern Brown, don't worry, they don't climb into rafters like that, it's just a harmless carpet python skin, as for the length of time it's been there, it'd be hard to tell.

Sure about that? Doesn't look like carpet python to me head scales and midbody look like an Elapid skin

Can't give you an actual ID but given the size of the ventrals (small from what I can see anyway) and the fact its hanging from the ceiling, it is almost certainly NOT Eastern Brown, most likely a python.

sorry if it isnt a brown i just havnt seen those scales on a python mayb wrong though

Definately not a Python. A clear photo of the scales between the nose and eye would clarify GSXR's theory.

Last edited:
Definately not a python skin. Eyes are too large, head is wrong shape among other things.
I agree, probably a tree snake, as very few, if any, elapids (front fanged venomous snakes) would live up in rafters.
So not a brown snake.

One of my BTS shed yesterday and i sifted through the rubbish and just took these pics.

Attachments

• bts.jpg
    bts.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 131
  • bts1.jpg
    bts1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 128
Thanks for the replies, all. The BTS skin looks similar to me - thanks for taking those pictures! - but what do I know. I made a close-up of the area between the eyes and nose. Maybe that helps.

Attachments

• CloseUpofNoseEye.jpg
    CloseUpofNoseEye.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 92
You will have to do a scale count as it is not clear from the pics. maybe if you flatern the skin out so that we can see all the scales in cross section so that we can count the scales from one side of the belly to the belly. im sure theres a thead here on how to it.

Thanks for the replies, all. The BTS skin looks similar to me - thanks for taking those pictures! - but what do I know.

No probs. They aren't as bad as you think :) I would be more worried about that evil eyed dog or cat in the background! :lol: Laser eyes!

It may have even moved on by now. The venom is relatively mild and is similar to a bee sting.

If it was a python, you'd see a pattern in the skin. There is no pattern, so clearly appears to have come from a snake that is mostly a solid colour.

I cut open a bit of skin from the mid-body and flattened it out. I count 13 scales. Is that conclusive?

Attachments

• ScaleCountCloseUp.JPG
    ScaleCountCloseUp.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 74

It is NOT a python. Then ventral scales are too wide and the scale count is too high.

Edit, sorry scale count is too LOW, not too high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back