Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reptilian u dont need to tell me ur life story via pm . I was simply just asking a question and all that was is that i think that a 4 ft enclosure is to small to house two adult olives and by the likes i got from that comment others agree . And when u say i bet i dnt let my python roam around my house when im not home ??? No i dont.. i have good size enclosures for all of them. My childrens pythons are in 4 ft enclosures!!!! And i have a large lawn that i take them out on and let them do there thing once aweek . U dont know me or how i take care of my reptiles so dont go trying to judge. 4ft x2x2 is too small to house two adult olive pythons even when there not roaming around ur house . And plus snakes are more active at night so during the day there just going to curl up somewhere might as well be in there SMALL enclosure and let them roam around at night . Or just get a bigger enclosure ?? Thanks mate dont message me again fool

OLAY89,
Can you prove to me that a 4ftx2ftx2ft is way to small to house 1 or 2 adult Olive Python's, unless you can you don't know what your talking about about.

You have not seen my 2 Olive Python enclosures in person, until you do you cannot say whether they are to small or not to house 1 or 2 adult Olive Python's.

l have been keeping Python's since 1989 and would know alot more about housing-diet-sexing-breeding-health-handling than you would, but l'm still learning each time l get a new pet Python.

lucky i got a few years till i have to make a big cage
Depends how you feed them..mine needed the 8ft cage at 2, when they well outgrew the 4ft.....they grow big and fast when fed correctly

I think 4 ft x 2 x2 is to small for an adult olive

Olay89, Just for one adult Olive Python, you sure can keep 1 inside a enclosure based on the measurements l mention in my post.

l myself have kept 2 adult Olive Python's in my enclosures you can see in the photos for years without any trouble what so ever, as long as you remember to seperate them both at feed time there should be know trouble, in keeping 1 or 2 in a enclosure that is 4 foot long - 2 foot high - 2 foot deep.

One other thing out in the wild they don't live in hollows logs or burrows that a quite big or spaces, they instead look for logs or burrows that they can squeeze into so they feel 100% secure why they are resting.[/QUOTE]The enclosure in the first pic is way too small !!

Last edited:
Well good on u for having snakes since 1989 and i dont want to see ur enclosure i dnt care. I am just saying that i believe and wouldnt house my olive pythons in 4ft enclosures . And if u are such an expert u should know that they are more active at night and its pointless. Letting them out during the day because there just going to curl up somewhere all day then at night where there most active there in their enclosure .

There should be know trouble, in keeping 1 or 2 in a enclosure that is 4 foot long - 2 foot high - 2 foot deep. One other thing out in the wild they don't live in hollows logs or burrows that a quite big or spaces, they instead look for logs or burrows that they can squeeze into so they feel 100% secure why they are resting.

Reptilian, unless I mis-read your post, you said that you can keep 2 Adult Olive Pythons in a 4x2x2 (LxWxH) enclosure.
I wouldn't keep two adult carpets in an enclosure of that size....
You are right in saying that snakes like to find cramped, confined spaces to hide in, and that is exactly what hide boxes are for.
The enclosure itself must allow enough room for the snakes to freely move around and thermo-regulate...

OLAY89,
Can you prove to me that a 4ftx2ftx2ft is way to small to house 1 or 2 adult Olive Python's, unless you can you don't know what your talking about about.

You have not seen my 2 Olive Python enclosures in person, until you do you cannot say whether they are to small or not to house 1 or 2 adult Olive Python's.

I'm not sure that he has to see your enclosures in person to make a decision on this. My 4x2x2 enclosures just so happen to be of VERY similiar size to my best mate's 4x2x2 enclosures, which are coincidently similiar to his friend's (4x2x2) enclosures.

I'm no expert on keeping adult Olives, but I have seen a few 12-14 foot adults, and I do have a pair that are approaching 3 years of age. The male is a little over 8 feet, the girl is closer to 9 but not quite there yet. I feel guilty for not upgrading their enclosures yet, and I see that upgrade as a priority over the next few couple of months. I can't imagine them still being comfortable in there after just another foot or two of growth, let alone another 3-6 feet of growth.

I have some 1800x750x500(H) enclosures that I use for my sub adult Spencers Monitors, I was thinking for the Olive upgrades to either get another 2 enclosures of the same dimensions as my monitors (so I can have a flush bank of 4 with the Olives occupying the bottom two enclosures) or go with Wokka's idea. I posted a thread a little while ago about joining enclosures, although it was me asking for help/ideas/opinions.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/diy-zone-5392/joining-two-enclosures-together-161250/

Last edited:
Thanks for the PM Reptilian.
My mistake, I didnt realise your adult Olives were actually only 2-3 years old.
When you said they were adults, I assumed that they would be about 9-10ft.
In that case, your Olives will be perfectly happy in your enclosure for a while.
That's definately a good idea to have a couple of 6x2x2's for when they mature.
Have a good day mate :)

reptilian - re: the pm
flavis are found more inland than gouldii gouldii and they don't reach the average stl length of gouldii gouldii. that's really all I know, haven't studied/researched sandies. however I also think that the patterning of subspecies flavirufus are more visible.

I built these for my White and het Olives, each enclosure is 6 foot long 2.5 deep and 2.5 high.
They seem to do the job.

reptilian - re: the pm
flavis are found more inland than gouldii gouldii and they don't reach the average stl length of gouldii gouldii. that's really all I know, haven't studied/researched sandies. however I also think that the patterning of subspecies flavirufus are more visible.
Snakeluvver3, You are right that Flavirufus don't grow to the same size and are found more inland and the patterning of them is more visible, than the sub-specie Varanus Gouldii Gouldii, so you prove me wrong here where you do know a bit about Sand Monitor's good on you.

Its was good of you to say you haven't studied or done any research on Sand Monitor's thanks for being up-front and honest about this.

For my largest pair of olives(pic 2) i use 2400mmL x 1200mmD x 750mmH and my other bank of olive enclosures, which is similar to wokkas setup (divider, hot/cool end) is 2400mmL x 800mmD x 450mmH.

Cheers

Attachments

• olive enclosures.....jpg
    olive enclosures.....jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 108
  • olive enclosures....jpg
    olive enclosures....jpg
    61 KB · Views: 113
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back