python transport advise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kamandakill

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi everybody. i've got a south west carpet python n i'm moving from WA to QLD n was wondering what the best way to transport her would be? we're going to drive across which would take about a week-week and a half, and maybe a little bit longer for her tank to arrive with the removalists. i was planning to take her in the car with me so i can monitor her myself because if i sent her by air there isn't really anybody in QLD to look after her till i get there. i was thinking bout a styrofoam eski or plastic storage box with a towel or somthing on the bottom and a water container (and obviously air holes). as long as i constantly monitor the temp and keep it within the acceptible range would this be an ok way to tranport her? how do you think she would handle this temperment wise? she is usually very laid back and easily handled but i've never had her in a closed moving box for long periods before. if anybody has any tips or suggestions it would be much appriciated!

thanks guys

I traveled all up and down the East Coast for years with my babies
Styro box is great plus 2 or 3 pillowcases
Put her in a pillowcase though while the vehicle is moving
Otherwise there is a huge chance of whiplash type injuries

Your biggest problem will be temperature crossing the Nullabor etc
Really high temps can be reached while you grab food at a rest stop etc
So make sure the box itself is out of direct sunlight and the car parked under shade where ever possible
At night dont say a word and simply take her into your motel room and forget the air con

A lot of the tap water through there is pretty off so get a couple of litres of fresh bottled water so she can slurp up big time if you have to stop anywhere for a long time during the day

Give her a big big feed about 6 days before you move
That will let her get rid of the waste before your trip
Couple of weeks without tucker wont hurt her and cleaning up a mess in close confines is no fun

the guy i got her off reckons she hates going in bags so he always took her to the vet in a box, is the bag improtant? would it be ok to just give her water at night n take it out during the day when we're driving, or should i give her drinks through out the day aswell? i'm not really sure how often she drinks.

did you go interstate? did you have any troubles with crossing borders?

You said there is no-one in Qld to look after her,but can someone look after her in Wa and freight after you arrive in Qld?

not really, nobody who's ever handled a snake or has any idea about looking after 1. none of my friends are very comfortable with snakes

I just moved to victoria from brisbane and i used storage containers filled with shredded paper . Worked quite well . Dnt have a water dish while driving otherwise it will go everywhere and when u stop at night take the paper out and put some water in there for her . Shell be right . And do wat longqi said about feeding before u leave . Safe travels. Ps dont drive at night i hit a roo doing 110kph . Dam roos

Make sure you get an export permit done, if you get caught at the border you'll get fined. I think a dealer has to do it.

yeah gunna try not to drive much at night, my dad hit 2 roos in his brand new hilux a month after he got it :p lucky he'd fitted the bullbar just in time or it would have been totalled!

yeah i'm lookin into the permit stuff, i only just got my QLD licence sorted. do they stop you at the border?

one random thought I had is to buy one of those framed collapsible mesh enclousres and put your snake in there at night with a hide and a water bowl

When I drove from Canberra to Townsville I put mine in a pillow case in a Tupperware container which had been ventilated by drilling holes all over it. I just put some soft foam type stuff in the bottom and got a container with a small base so they wouldn't slide around too much . . I got them out at night for a drink and a stretch . . they seemed fine didn't stress to much but in saying that I was only travelling for 3 days . .

awesome, that's basically what i'm gunna do, hope she handles it well. i'll need something bigger though she's 2m

bags are pretty important just in case you have to brake in a hurry
if not in a bag and a snakes head is raised and you have to brake it can cause whiplash or collision type injuries
just drop the bag into the styro box reasonably snuggly

she may drink a bit if it gets hot
thats why you need a couple of bags

I regularly crossed NT, QLD, NSW Vic with zero dramas
I used export and import advices as they always have a bit of leeway in them

Last edited:
i've had the cops pull me over before n do a 'random search' ( actually i think they didn't like the look o my boyfriend! :p ) it'll be funny if they do it this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back