Help! Which grout/cement/ mortar do i use for background???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't grout/render it there's no strength to it, for GTP you might get away with two, if your putting vines & branches in there. I've got Darwin's and they like climbing.
If it weren't for the knee surgeries mine could have been completed quicker and I lost motivation with the continuos stop start, but I didn't want to do a dodgy job either (like you, I'm my own worst critic)
Don't rush to get it done, you'll look at it every day and see where you went wrong like bits of it falling off because you didn't let it dry properly etc. patience is hard but it pays off

I'm going to leave it a week at least for each layer of grout to dry :) It doesnt have to be ready until quite a while as my little GTP is still yellow and only about 30 cm long! haha
I'm thinking by the time I have everything done, I'll only be able to put the background in there as I dont want my GTP falling/drowning in a massive water bowl (the waterfall)
So I'm not worried about time I just cant wait to see it done hahaha but I'll take it slow :)
I'll do three layers.
This first one is quite thick in some spots (1-2cm thick) so I'm going to let this layer dry for 2 weeks maybe?
Then the other 2 layers will be a lot finer.

How does that sound?

Ahhh well yours looks amazing I can't fault it well done!
Your patience paid off!

I've used bondall and Woodworking glue, and I think the bondall is better in the foam to render adhesion. Bondall is designed to helps concrete bond with concrete when patching holes and applying render to brickwork

I scored 2 4Ltr tins of Bondall for free. :)

:) just stop and think about how much something the size you are doing and the quality that it will be, would be worth if you found it at a shop. It doesn't seem so bad then. And no doubt you'll have leftovers for the next one ! So that one will be cheaper.

That's what I'm trying to think about haha!
When I really think about it, I was going to buy two of those reptile one background for $60 each!
Haha
I've probably spent much less than that to get a BAZZILLION times better result!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back