Aussie Native Jags

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AWESOME snake guys hope i can have some like that one day!!

hahah native jags :-/ ask simon stone that question

Must admit Im getting slightly confused now

Some say RPM are Jags
Some say RPM are not necessarily Jags?

What is the correct answer?

I am not suggesting for one moment that these are Jags

From the wording, I think the OP was asking for the pure native animals that have been line bred to have reduced patterning (my understand of the original intended definition of RPM)

Nice snakes guys n' gals. Are they two snakes you have pictured a few shots of jamesjr or am I loosing it? They are particularly nice mate. Not bad either Roger. Why do I feel like I'm cheating on the jungle thread..?

Thanks mate and your defiantly not loosing it, only 2 snakes there.

Those pics were taken a while ago, ill have to take some new ones and throw them up.

Jungleman- Those are stunning animals, especially the one in pic 3, any background info on that one?

Cheers

I'm sure its been said but I'm not reading this whole thread because I can almost guess the replies word for word. The terms "Aussie native" and "jag" are mutually exclusive.

Jungleman- Those are stunning animals, especially the one in pic 3, any background info on that one?

Cheers

Thanks James, the male you are referring to is a prossie line that Joel Faustino has been working on for quite some time.

Wait, so RPMs aren't jags and don't have the associated neuro problems? So I can now put them back on my wishlist without concern that I'm encouraging the breeding of unhealthy animals? Excellent =)

Also, stunning animals everyone! Love the black and gold RPMs especially

Wait, so RPMs aren't jags and don't have the associated neuro problems? So I can now put them back on my wishlist without concern that I'm encouraging the breeding of unhealthy animals? Excellent =)

RPM=JAG

RPM is the name given to the genetic JAG morph in this country, they are the same animals from the same origins. From what I have seen you cannot get the EXTREME colours and patterns without the Jag gene no matter what some like to think. There are certainly some 'pure' lines that are jaggish in appearance but that's about it.
Reading some comments you would think that America is the only place that breeds animals overseas :) Jags didn't even originate in America.

Also, stunning animals everyone! Love the black and gold RPMs especially

Ive always loved Reduced pattern pythons, they are my favourite of all my collection. I keep a few "pure" lines from Roger and others, some below...
Reduced Proserpine male & females and reduced Jungle male & female from Roger.

These pics are quite old and the female jungle is one of the prettiest snakes I have, she is a lovely clean lemon colour now, with fully faded markings and one scale black borders...stunning animal, these pics dont do her justice. :)

Attachments

• DSC03064.jpg
    DSC03064.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 67
  • male 4.5.08.jpg
    male 4.5.08.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Untitled EMAIL.jpg
    Untitled EMAIL.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 66
  • female post shed 12.9.08 2.JPG
    female post shed 12.9.08 2.JPG
    445.2 KB · Views: 58
  • female1s 10.10.09.jpg
    female1s 10.10.09.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 76
Scott I love your prossies! They breeding size yet?

Scott I love your prossies! They breeding size yet?

Hey Jas, yes they were locked up a few times this year, will see how she goes. She has what could be a pre-lay shed a couple of weeks back, but she doesnt seem too chunky, so fingers crossed.

How are yours going?

The bottom line is that the jag name came about because of the paterning looking a little like a jaguar, am I right ?
Therefore any snake that looks like it you could also be called a jag as no one owns the name (except it would cause huge confusion to the novice).
Quite frankly I would never want to call any snake I bred a jag considering the negativety and stigma it taints one with.
I have a stunning Stimsons that has a mad pattern like the jaguar, I will have to settle with leopard perhaps

The bottom line is that the jag name came about because of the paterning looking a little like a jaguar, am I right ?
Therefore any snake that looks like it you could also be called a jag as no one owns the name (except it would cause huge confusion to the novice).
Quite frankly I would never want to call any snake I bred a jag considering the negativety and stigma it taints one with.
I have a stunning Stimsons that has a mad pattern like the jaguar, I will have to settle with leopard perhaps

That is what i also thought. i just didnt know how to put it. :p

The name was coined by Jan Eric Engell to describe his line of co-dom RP carpets. Unless they originate directly from that line they shouldn't be called Jags. It is a unique name and not a purely descriptive name like striped, reduced pattern or albino which I agree anyone should be able to use.

RPMs are Jags, the name was coined presumably to legitimize animals from smuggled stock. The sooner the confusing RPM tag is dropped the better.

RPM's are Jags.........

And your genetic proof at that statement? I specifically asked about the genetics of my girl before I purchased her and viewed her parents etc....feel free to prove otherwise though.

So basically if you have anything with a reduced pattern it is a jag? Is that what you are saying? hhhhmmm I guess I better euth a couple of my albino darwins that have next to no pattern in them then.....damn what a waste of money that was. :rolleyes:

And if it is a cross between two definite aussie natives that have been line bred for years to produce it?? What is it then?

If you are going to insult breeders and peoples reptiles atleast do your homework first....no self-respecting breeder I've met would introduce a jag to their pure bloodlines that they breed and sell, especially when they can get stunning animals without it.

Although again am guessing this will go in one ear and out another for most that prefer the ignorance of not learning the genetics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back