Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Certainly is. There's no evidence yet of wild ones having any more than one clutch a year.

Thanks crocdoc very interesting... Is it because the wild monitors are more prone to climatic influences or because they are not constantly paired up with a mate? Or a combination of both?

Went for a bit of a bushwalk today and saw a few lace monitors. This one quietly went up the nearest tree when it saw me stop and get out my camera.
139428451.jpg

It then continued walking up the tree when I paid it too much attention by photographing it. I say "walked" up the tree because the tree was too wide for it to wrap its arms around it, so it looked very much like it was casually walking up.

139428453.jpg

Eventually it reached a height it was comfortable with, dug its claws in and relaxed, indicating that it wasn't going anywhere as long as I was standing there with my camera, so I kept on walking.

139428456.jpg

139428458.jpg

Few taken today (ignore the reflection of the baldy in the background ;) )

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 185
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 220
That first picture there is gorgeous. They are such lazy, sleepy looking beasts. Crocdoc you always take beautiful photos. He certainly kept a watchful eye on you.

Crocdoc how many clutches would you usually get in a year?
Two a year, with a third every now and then.
And here comes number two for this season! It started with the female doing a bit of digging. They do that a lot at the start of a cycle, then again later when they are gravid. Caught her with this 'do' the other night.
139532913.jpg

I thought it was so cute I ran to grab a different lens. Luckily she hadn't moved.
139532914.jpg

She has been a bit off her food lately, too, so I thought I'd better do the hormone test. I separate her from the male when she's about to lay eggs and then wait to put them back together until she's finished her 'nest defence' period (during which she'll attack the male). The test consists of me picking up the male and waving him back and forth in front of her side of the enclosure partition. If she attacks the glass I know she's still in nest defence mode. If she runs away she's past that, but still not ready. If she comes up gently with a 'hello sailor' look, I let her out with the male and watch their behaviour. This was the result:
139532916.jpg

139532918.jpg

I've removed the partition from the enclosure and they've been at it since.

There is that famous Fecundity Rug again!

And here comes number two for this season! It started with the female doing a bit of digging. They do that a lot at the start of a cycle, then again later when they are gravid. Caught her with this 'do' the other night.
139532913.jpg

I thought it was so cute I ran to grab a different lens. Luckily she hadn't moved.
139532914.jpg

She has been a bit off her food lately, too, so I thought I'd better do the hormone test. I separate her from the male when she's about to lay eggs and then wait to put them back together until she's finished her 'nest defence' period (during which she'll attack the male). The test consists of me picking up the male and waving him back and forth in front of her side of the enclosure partition. If she attacks the glass I know she's still in nest defence mode. If she runs away she's past that, but still not ready. If she comes up gently with a 'hello sailor' look, I let her out with the male and watch their behaviour. This was the result:
139532916.jpg

139532918.jpg

I've removed the partition from the enclosure and they've been at it since.

Great photo of the two big lacies asleep and having a cuddle serpentounge
very cute pic of the little lacie with mulch on his head David

Hehe so awesome. I still think your male looks like the velociraptors from Jurassic park David. I want one so bad!

S/He is incredibly tame. He free ranges in the house with us most of the time and we handle him all the time. He's better with us than with strangers but even then he's pretty good. We had to take him to the vet a few weeks ago cos he had a sore on his foot and the vet was poking and prodding at him and he just sat there and didn't seem to mind too much. The only time he bit me was when he went to grab a mouse but missed and got my finger instead!

S/He is incredibly tame. He free ranges in the house with us most of the time and we handle him all the time. He's better with us than with strangers but even then he's pretty good. We had to take him to the vet a few weeks ago cos he had a sore on his foot and the vet was poking and prodding at him and he just sat there and didn't seem to mind too much. The only time he bit me was when he went to grab a mouse but missed and got my finger instead!
So did you achieve this by gaining his trust or by constantly handling him and letting him get used to you

Back