Is he healthy? (PICS)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

69blottfilms69

Reaction score
So i got a thicktail but im worried (Im that type of person)
So i put crickets in they sit right in frnt of him this is at 9-10 pm (night)
i wake up and they are gone hes only a little hatchie so im worried about him
I feeding him small crickets
and im going to try feeding him small moths tonight.
is it a good idea or not?
IMG0001.jpg

IMG0000.jpg

What are you worried about?? You said the crickets are gone, I'm assuming that means he's eaten them? If so, what's the problem?

Dont feed him insects that you find outside, they could have been exposed to pesticides and/or parasites

He looks reasonably healthy to me

I buy the crickets 75 small ones for $10 (WA for ya)
I was going to catch a moth out side i better not now.
Would he eat woodies at the size he is hes quite small?

what is it you are worried about?

That when the put the crickets in he doesn't go for them
He probably is just stressed by your presence, give him time and he should eat in front of you.
Mind you though some of my geckos have never liked eating straight away and will wait until the dead of night

Thanks Goldmember i think that might be the reason and i have only had him for 2 weeks so hes probs just scared
Also i put two crickets in last night they they where right under a rock and the gecko can't get under it should i put him in a small with 2 crickets eat night?

I would set it up so the crickets have no where to hide, particularly if he isn't eating them straight away

I just leave the crickets in there. They eat them when they feel like them, or when the crickets come out etc. Just make sure they aren't too big. They are nocturnal so having the light on might make it hard too. Though mine eat with the light on or off.

Also stop handling him.

To me, he looks sad or lethargic, the way he is sitting on your hand. Is that normal for little gecko's to just sit there?

I don't handle him..
only for this photo,.

Yeah, but what is the normal behaviour of a gecko being handled? Is it normal for them to just sit on your hand like that, or would they normally try to run away? What I am getting at is, animals that normally shy away from handling, who suddenly does not protest to being picked up could be telling signs of un-wellness. I have no experience with gecko's, that's why I asked about their typical temperament. Are they normally placid like that?

He does run but some times i sits down on mee i thick he likes the heat from my hand but i took to shots quickly before he ran .

It's a photo? What are you expecting? Him to dance on his fingers for a photo? Thats just how reptiles sit on peoples hands, he doesnt look sad at all. He's a gecko their faces don't normally show that much emotion.

Well thats why I asked. I said I have no experience with geckos. So yeah I wondered if he had difficulty getting him to stay still for the photo or if he was trying to run off. No lizards don't show emotion but you can usually tell if they are sick by a change in behaviour or just sitting there with eyes closed or whatever. The original poster asked for opinions of its health. I asked a simple question that might help me answer his questions.

Gecko looks fine , don't handle him to much , keep feeding him and all will be good ....

Kathy , geckos do not like being handled , they will often get real cranky and take off , bite etc , they are best left alone to watch and not handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back