Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should exotic reptiles be allowed to be kept in Australia?

• YES, they should!

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • NO, they shouldn't!

Votes: 61 63.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why some people have so much determination when it comes to getting exotics. I mean I grew up with exotics as a kid. I have had everything from Chameleons to Carpet pythons to Ball pythons to Sudan Plated lizards so exotics are really what I know. If you have never had exotics before why is there such a deep passion or whatever it is to own them? I mean on one hand I am telling those people to be happy with what they have but on the other hand, all I have is exotics. Right now all I own is a Coastal Carpet and a Leopard Gecko native to Pakistan.

Being an American, do I even have a right to voice my opinion on this thread? I just don't want to see Australia become like America. I grew up reading about Australia and always wanting to move there, I guess that is one of the reasons why I love the Morelia and Aspidites genus so much. If I can't live there at least I can have a few species from there to call my own. Like me, I could have King snakes and Rat snakes and other native colubrids but I choose carpet pythons because they have an awesome personality, they are beautiful in their natural colors, they get a good size without being too big and they are smart snakes.

This thread lost all its interest when the OP stopped posting - now it's just a bunch of people agreeing with each other *yawn*.

There's no need to legalise exotics, they are already here. Maybe the OP has the same mind frame as people who want to legalise marijuana - it's already here in bulk, people are using it left right and centre so why not make it legal? Maybe he is thinking there are already illegal exotics here, and plenty of legal exotics here (birds etc) so why not legalise it?

Either way I voted no because it's never going to happen... though I would like a panther chameleon..

I mean on one hand I am telling those people to be happy with what they have but on the other hand, all I have is exotics. Right now all I own is a Coastal Carpet and a Leopard Gecko native to Pakistan.

So you're contradicting yourself and making a redundant point? Or am I missing something?

\

So you're contradicting yourself and making a redundant point? Or am I missing something?

I think what there trying to say is Australia should stay pure and that if you live overseas Australian reptiles are the Exotics that everyone wants...

I think its just another case of we want what we cant have... And trust me i want what i cant have... I still don't get why people have against owning exotics legally... Everyone by now should know that Exotics are here in Australia as we speak... Its not really a question of should Australia get these animals its now about making rules and regulations for them.. if it was legal We would have rules and restrictions But since it's out right banned People are going to own them without any rules, Restrictions, Ect.... That is the problem at hand...

Dont Be flaming me That's my opinion if you disagree that's great.. Where would we be without Debates...

You are so ungrateful appreciate what we have & be thank-full.

Ps, Tassie love you're work totally agree to allowing tas to keep pythons.

How is it ungrateful? noone has said that Australian Wildlife is not good enough...

Well you're either Ungrateful or GREEDY, given you're trying to import you're own lovely idea of owning something from foreign lands whilst domestic species can't even go 240km to tasmania which is left with almost nothing (compared to us) & isn't nececciary complaining either.

Appreciate you're cup being half full & good luck.

Still waiting on a compelling argument as to why we should allow exotics into Australia. I will say though if you are having a hard time convincing reptile enthusiasts to allow exotics in, you will have a lot more trouble convincing the government. Atleast we like reptile, they don't. Yes I think exotics look great but I would much rather preserve what we have then risk destroying it.

Can I ask all those that voted Yes to explain why they said Yes?

Still waiting on a compelling argument as to why we should allow exotics into Australia. I will say though if you are having a hard time convincing reptile enthusiasts to allow exotics in, you will have a lot more trouble convincing the government. Atleast we like reptile, they don't. Yes I think exotics look great but I would much rather preserve what we have then risk destroying it.

Can I ask all those that voted Yes to explain why they said Yes?

Because apparently our breeders aren't keeping it interesting enough to satisfy the growing needs of something new.

Well you're either Ungrateful or GREEDY, given you're trying to import you're own lovely idea of owning something from foreign lands whilst domestic species can't even go 240km to tasmania which is left with almost nothing (compared to us) & isn't nececciary complaining either.

Appreciate you're cup being half full & good luck.

So you don't want exotics to preserve the environment.. But yet you want to send mainland pythons to Tasmanian?

here's a solution's how about we make all reptiles illegal you Know to "Preserver The Environment" A snake from the north being wild in the south... End of the world Situation there.... Same thing as having pythons from another Country do you think there going to grow wings and fly around eating everything in sight? no.. They will eat mice like all other pythons (small pythons I'm talking about)

Why have a Glass half full if you could fill it....

I really think it is a case of people want what they can't have. Unfortunately people don't seem to realise what short sighted ideas can lead too. Atleast DEC or what ever it is, got it right for once. It's not often I agree with their laws/polices/stupid ideas but banning exotics is a good one.

Yes I am sure most people know someone who keeps exotics if it's a friend or a friend of a friend. We all know someone. We have to understand that they are here illegally, I accept that. We can only hope these people get caught and brought to justice, however this shouldn't mean that more are brought in.

Please be happy with what we have.

I would hope that if the sad day come where Australia let's exotics in legally, that licensing would pick up the slack. I think the biggest problem with the epidemic in america is that exotics of any kind are too freely available. One only has to look on a American reptile website to see king cobras for 200-400 dollars with minimal licensing if any. It seems that an understanding of the skill required to keep such species is lost in the whole idea of "oh look what I have got". Not only is it the case with venomous snakes it's the same for retics. In all seriousness as a general rep keeper, why does one needs to keep a retic/boa/anaconda?These species are definitely underestimated, they are sold to inexperienced keepers who don't realise their full potential as a dangerous animal.

Hell I don't trust my Bredli and he is only 1.6m let alone something 4m+ weighing in excess of 30kg

I would also ask those that think exotics should be allowed what would you allow in and what would remain banned. Would it be a case of everything or a more limited selection. From my understanding a problem that seems to be occurring in America is due to the exotic venomous snakes kept by the average keeper. When they get bitten it creates a problem of which antivenom to use if any. Antivenom is normally kept for the snakes that may be found in the local area. They don't generally keep black mamba antivenom for a snske which is found halfway around they world incase some idiot gets bitten by their so-called pet.

Last edited:
You are so ungrateful appreciate what we have & be thank-full.

Ps, Tassie love you're work totally agree to allowing tas to keep pythons.

Makes no sense to be an advocate for pythons in Tasmania when you aren't one for exotics in Australia. They're (pythons and other reptiles) exotic to Tasmania and would have an effect on the environment down there if they escaped and flourished.

It would definitely have to be limit I think it should be made very difficult just to get a exotic python and near impossible to get a Venomous snake... say 5 years of venomous snake keeping and a mandatory Class an test...

Also if exotics where livable i think they should have there own license... Also with a test to make sure we are capable to take care of them and to make sure they don't escape... I stand by my Opinion of Exotics being legalized in Australia... But in saying that it should be no easy task in obtaining one... The amount of effort that should need to get an "Exotic License" would weed out the people who just want it to show it off then get bored with it...

As much as i love looking at the exotics, i think there big trouble, we have gorgeous reptiles native to our country, there's no need, and besides, for me it would feel very unnatural having an exotic over something native that has evolved in this country for millions of years. It annoys me people have already imported them here illegally.

Good Luck mate! Its gonna be something if you can get ppl to move an inch from this campaign. Im from canada and we've had ppl trying to implement a venomous license, like the one you have here, for years... but to no avail. But heaps of ppl still keep them, just under the govs noses. Anyways, while aussie has a vast collection of wild life, it wouldnt be so bad to have some legal foreign animals, given ppl just don't release them into the wild.

We already have corns snakes regularly popping up all over the place, imagine how much worse it would be if exotic keeping became common place amongst reptile keepers.

Mind you though I think illegal species are more likely to be released as the people who keep them already lack certain morals and its not like its easy for them to sell it when they are sick of it.
I don't want any exotics in the country but as they are already here maybe having a licensing system will reduce the amount being released????????

these sort of threads have been done to death and after 10 pages Im putting this one to rest.
R.I.P.

the thing is no matter how many species are/were available we wouldn't be happy or satisfied and would want more.. especially the stuff we couldn't have.. maybe there's a lesson in human nature there somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back