Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Of the members who own cats.. how many have cat runs outside for their cats?

• Yes

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • no cat run but kept inside

Votes: 30 47.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets hope the responsibility doesn't fall onto teachers, we have enough on our plates!

I agree. It is very hard to change the mind set of the older generation BUT there is hope for the younger generation. Let's hope anyway..

Lets hope the responsibility doesn't fall onto teachers, we have enough on our plates!

LOL!! oh yeah poor teachers!
too many holidays!, short workdays! Good money, maternity leave etc etc, and when you are supposed to be at work you go on strike lol!

Can anyone that owns one of the seven cat runs from the poll please post pics to show other cat owners and non cat owners what is involved.
Thanks

There are a lot of 'teachers' out there. 'Teachers' are not all at schools.
There are 'teachers' that do wildlife displays at your zoos and wildlife parks. 'Teachers' can run your local Reptile Club. There are 'teachers' that go around to different schools and do wildlife shows, kiddies birthday parties...etc etc
These are the people that should be putting the message out there about your common moggy and the impact that they can cause to our wildlife when allowed to wander.....

Last edited by a moderator:
too many holidays!, short workdays! Good money, maternity leave etc etc, and when you are supposed to be at work you go on strike lol!

And sit on APS during the day! :p

There are a lot of 'teachers' out there. 'Teachers' are not all at schools.
There are 'teachers' that do wildlife displays at your zoos and wildlife parks. 'Teachers' can run your local Reptile Club. There are 'teachers' that go around to different schools and do wildlife shows, kiddies birthday parties...etc etc
These are the people that should be putting the message out there about your common moggy and the impact that they can cause to our wildlife when allowed to wander.....

That's right! I think the word you are looking for is society instead of teachers. But i think you are right, everybody is a teacher, just some of us get paid for it!

And sit on APS during the day! :p

That's right! I think the word you are looking for is society instead of teachers. But i think you are right, everybody is a teacher, just some of us get paid for it!

We all get paid for it Gordo - just some not financially... :)

It concerns me when people want to define the term “feral" to have some other meaning. The word is clearly defined in any English dictionary. Like altering the meaning of any word, all that is achieved by this is to muddy the water for those trying to communicate.

You also have to question the motives behind this. There is a lot of factual and emotive information attached to the word feral, particularly in the Australian context. The logical conclusion is that someone wants to ride on the coat tails of this mass of information with a false concept that does not belong there.

Blue

I apologise that the following is not “on topic” as requested but I feel it is only fair that a reasonable right of reply be given. If this is unacceptable, please delete the original comment along with this one
too many holidays!,short workdays! Good money, maternity leave etc etc, and when you are supposedto be at work you go on strike lol!
I did a number of jobs over a number of years before I got into teaching. These include: Factory Hand; Machine Operator - Grinding; Sheet Metal Worker; Taxi Driver; Bus Conductor; Brickie’s Labourer; Fencing Contractor; Public Servant – clerk Dept. of Defence.. Teaching is by far the most demanding job I have done but it was also the most personally rewarding. Cement, I wonder would you survive in the classrom, let alone cope with the developmental programming (catering for multiple levels), the lesson preparation and the marking required? As a teacher you take what you are given, and you cannot touch them and you cannot swear at them, nor can you even threaten them, irrespective of what they say to you. But you are expected to teach them and get results. Sounds good, eh?

I used to think school holidays were to give the kids a break. I now reckon they are to save the sanity of teachers. As for the money, have a good look in the staff carpark of the next school you see and then compare that with the local shopping centre. While you are doing that, bear in mind that a majority of teachers have done a minimum of four years of tertiary training and continue to do in-service training, both in and out of school hours on an on-going basis. As for your final comment – I really don’t think going on strike during holidays would get the point across, do you?

Blue

Cement, I wonder would you survive in the classrom, let alone cope with the developmental programming (catering for multiple levels), the lesson preparation and the marking required? As a teacher you take what you are given, and you cannot touch them and you cannot swear at them, nor can you even threaten them, irrespective of what they say to you. But you are expected to teach them and get results. Sounds good, eh?

I used to think school holidays were to give the kids a break. I now reckon they are to save the sanity of teachers. As for the money, have a good look in the staff carpark of the next school you see and then compare that with the local shopping centre. While you are doing that, bear in mind that a majority of teachers have done a minimum of four years of tertiary training and continue to do in-service training, both in and out of school hours on an on-going basis. As for your final comment – I really don’t think going on strike during holidays would get the point across, do you?

Blue[/QUOTE]

Oh Gday Blue. Yeah mate what i said was tongue in cheek buddy.
But, if i had as much training as you reckon you have to have then yeah , i'd go allright.

Since all the responsible cat owners that claim they have a cat run but obviously could not be bothered posting pics on it, here is a link on how to make one. Dont think to many owners will give two hoots about this, but here it is

Building A Cat Run

And by the way the trapping of feral/stray cats is up to 3.

Cheers:)

So because people aren't posting photos of their cat runs for your benefit you imply they have to be lying....

So because people aren't posting photos of their cat runs for your benefit you imply they have to be lying....

I certainly hope not, and I encourage it:)

Anyone?

I will add, if anyone posts pics of their cat run you will pretty well be assured 5 likes.
Is this Incentive enough???

Last edited:
If you’re keeping a cat as an indoor cat, it is often nice to provide them with an outside run. Not only does this offer them extra space in which to exercise and a taste of outside life, while keeping them as safe as possible. A cat who has never know the outside will not miss it and as long as you offer your indoor cat plenty of love, attention and playtime they will not only do as well as a cat who has time loose outdoors, but better! They are highly unlikely to go missing, get themselves stolen or worse and yet far more common, get themselves run over or bitten by another animal - maybe even one who is carrying a disease.

For those who can't be bothered clicking on the cat run link here is the first paragraph. Doesn't mention the killing of wildlife, but we don't want to upset anyone.

There is a new system out actually, a rolling paddle wheel on the very top of your fence, i'm going to be trying a slightly different version using rolling pvc pipe, much cheaper than a cat run...

Yeah the only Part I'm a little unsure of is in the corners, and as its going to be in sections where they join. will be doing some experimenting!

This animal would have come from a responsible cat owner a few generations back.
208759_205490529480806_122312694465257_679611_4377603_n.jpg

I live in inner Melbourne and am so really really very very sick of cats in my yard. Our council has a cat curfew, so that cats must be kept contained between sunset and sunrise, but in the day my yard is free reign. WHY??? Why are cats the only pet that is allowed to just go wherever it wants?? NO other pet has this "privilege". 2 weeks ago I had cat meowing at my back door??? It had a collar with a phone number, so what did I do? I sent an SMS to the owner advising them their cat was sweet and pretty but I dont want it in my yard and please keep it contained. All i got was a reply saying: Who is this?
A week later when their cat was still hanging out in my yard I messaged again to say it had been there nearly every day and if they dont keep it contained I will call the council. I am honestly SO sick of my back porch stinking of cat pee, and finding cat poo in my vege garden.
I reiterate.... why are cats given this freedom? If I wanted a cat, I would get one. Are cat owners that ignorant to think that their roaming cat is just hanging out in the street not "trespassing" in anyone else's yard.
My brother's cat is inside 24/7. Its not that hard. More responsibility needs to be taken, and then any 'roaming' cat can be assumed as feral and dealt with appropriately (ie. collected and taken to the authorities). If a cat owner is responsible they will have their cat microchipped and it wont be put down without them being contacted.
If a dog was in your street or yard... hmmmm what would you do? (obviously i refer to inner city living here, i know things differ in the country)

Last edited:
I remember when I was in my teens, a friend two doors up adopted a mother cat who dropped her bundle in their yard. By adopt I mean they provided food for them. Was not long before there were cates everywhere and council brought in to get rid of them. Cats are fine as long as they are controled. Dont really care for them even though we have two-desexed, indoors etc...
Had a pic on another computer of a cat who met a wild python on some ones pergola. Wildlife won that time:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back