Sand As Snake Subrate. Good Bad? Opinions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakemanStu

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive heard that using sand as substrate can cause issues with captive snakes. I heard it gets into the vents heat pits and eyes. Just wondered if anyone uses it and have you observed any detrimental effects on the snake. I want to make a desert style enclosure for an olive with sand and just wondered about it.

Cheers guys SnakemanStu

I used to use it with all my snakes but I found with some of the (like my olive) that it was just a pain in the a**. It got in the glass sliding tracks and jammed. My olive has a thing for water and as such would get wet go in sand and then wash herself in the water which resulted in dirty water having to be changed constantly. It got in vents and reduced airflow. When the snake made messy time the sand would clump and smell horrible. As far as detrimental results to snake I personnaly didn't see any. (like sand in the eyes!?) but detrimental to myself nearly going insane. Constantly cleaning the enclosure then yes. Cardboard and paper easier to look after. Astro turf if your snake isn't a "nose rubber". But of course this is all in my own opinion :)

Also not so good if you feed in the enclosure as they can ingest the sand.

IMO - Avoid - there's better substrates that look good or real, are easy to clean, cheap and healthier options for your snake.

In WA we're not even allowed to use sand as a substrate for snakes.

I used sand in another enclosure once though and had the same problem as Ryant16 - it always got in the glass tracks and jammed. Really annoying.

Cheers for the replies guys i think ill look for something else if sand is that hard to maintain. My mate use to have his Darwin on sand and every time i saw it the enclosure was a right down mess. He now uses cat litter pellets that dont look half bad so i may give them a shot.

As far as detrimental results to snake I personally didn't see any. (like sand in the eyes!?) but detrimental to myself nearly going insane. Constantly cleaning the enclosure then yes.

LOL! I know how you feel my water dragon is an absolute dirty bugger drags substrate into the water tub and always poos in it. I am going insane of cant be botherness but i love the little guy :D

I went sand with my BHP and only had problems. We found that the sand irritated her vent as well as made everything a pain in the A** to clean.

We keep her on newspaper now, not as attractive, but far more practical and we haven't had any vent problems.

I only use sand on snakes that are naturally on sandy substrates, like whip snakes, devis so on and so forth.
If your snake isn't really consistantly found sandy substrates on the wild then no I wouldn't use it.

I decided to use sand for my Woma because it is more natural, she loved it but like the others I found it to be a pain in the ****. Just starting to use the Wild Crystal substrate that was at the reptile show so will see how that goes.

i use breeders choice cat litter it is recycled paper pellets found this to be the best substrate looks good very hygenic and pellets turn a yellowish color when soiled just scoop em out and add more couldn't be easier

I use the same as blackhawk1975. Breeders choice cat litter, really absorbant. no smell. oviously you still need to clean out any mess asap. I know a few ppl who use it as well.

I went with sand for my Woma... So far no issues apart from it getting in the tracks but not yet causing it to jar... am interested to hear about other issues that people have had... I know my boy LOVES digging in it!

Sand could be a suitable substrate for an olive right? Their distribution throughout Australia is the top of Queensland through Northern Territory to the Kimberley correct?

Sand could be a suitable substrate for an olive right? Their distribution throughout Australia is the top of Queensland through Northern Territory to the Kimberley correct?

It really depends on the snake itself in the end. If u really wanna try it out just do a test run. Whats the worst thing that could happen? You lose 10 bucks on sand and get ur hands dirty

true i really like having as natural a enclosure as possible for my reptiles so if the sand works out that will be awesome

I went with sand for my Woma... So far no issues apart from it getting in the tracks but not yet causing it to jar... am interested to hear about other issues that people have had... I know my boy LOVES digging in it!

I was getting the sand in the tracks, not jamming but horrible grinding when doors opened. Woma loved it, she used her head to scoop it out, I feed her in a separate container so ingestion wasn't a problem.
Biggest pain was the clean up, changing the sand and then cleaning and drying it so it could be used again.

Just put the Wild Crystal in yesterday so will see how it goes.

BHP Loves the sand digs in it looking for food, I feed him on a maccas tray (but he drags it off into the water and in the sand) dosent seem to effect him he loves the sand and looks awesome suits BHP and Womas

I used sand for my Bredli when i first got her........after her shed she took a bath & then once out of her water bowl she got sand in her eyes, i of course panicked! After a wash, she was completely fine, but i removed the sand straight away, & now use astro turf. IMO sand just wasnt worth the hassle, & astro turf looks just as good. Goodluck with whatever you try!

I agree Bel - astro turf, marine carpet (which looks awesomer imo) and other substrates are so much healthier and better for the snake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back