Dog roll vs dog biscuits...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news everybody....

Piri is eating his bikkies (more) now - and even without added water. Unfortunately though, he 'picks' at them and doesn't eat much in one sitting.

So... Vet thoughts - should I feed less more often... Leave the bowl down with uneaten bikkies.... Feed the same amount remove the bowl and put it back 2 hours later (or some arbitrary time later).

I'm aware you're not meant to leave the bikkies there for the day for them to pick at... Put opinions again.

Awesome, good to hear he's finally started eating them :)

For a young pup I'd probably start at 3x daily feedings- measure out the amount he needs (Based on the manufacturers guidelines- you may need to adjust this depending on his body condition) and divide it into these different feeds.

As an older pup/adult, I'd suggest feeding twice daily. Some dogs can develop an issue where they will start to vomit straight bile if fed only once daily, and its easy enough to divide their meal and feed twice daily. Provided no other animals can pinch the food, I'd give him half his daily food in the morning and leave it out even if he doesn't eat it all (dry biscuits last in a bowl for a while, and remain safe- its only if left out for days/months they can go mouldy and cause issues). He'll probably eat the rest during the day when he desires it. then give the remaining bikkies for dinner :)

Was told that you should prove food comes from 'you' and not leave the bowl down - He already knows food comes from me, so not sure what harm it does leaving them down (psychologically).

Also, a much colder climate here in the south - less flies, slower fungal growth....

Oh, and BTW - he chose to pick and eat a strawberry while he was helping me to fix the greenhouse. Regardless whether the strawberry is good for him or not, to me it indicates there omnivorous status!

He was quite proud of his pick, and he picked a ripe one too!

I hadn't heard that one before to be honest, and I don't remember anything from my behaviour notes regarding that particular topic/leaving food down (though that doesn't mean there wasn't- It just means I don't remember it :)

And I sometimes forget not everyone lives in FNQ. Ahh the joys of extreme heat, humidity and pesky insects

I hope you don't like strawberries if he gets a liking for them haha. Just so long as he doesn't go sampling toxic plants :)

I hadn't heard that one before to be honest, and I don't remember anything from my behaviour notes regarding that particular topic/leaving food down (though that doesn't mean there wasn't- It just means I don't remember it :)

And I sometimes forget not everyone lives in FNQ. Ahh the joys of extreme heat, humidity and pesky insects

I hope you don't like strawberries if he gets a liking for them haha. Just so long as he doesn't go sampling toxic plants :)

Tulips and daffodils are on his targets - I know daffodils are toxic, not sure on tulips... but he just rips them out of the garden more than anything...

Mhmm tulips are toxic as well unfortunately. Probably not safe for him to be pulling them out incase he does decide to swallow some (though I can't imagine they'd taste good- but animals unfortunately somestimes eat crappy tasting things for whatever reason)... I gather you wouldn't enjoy his gardening efforts much either lol.

Ah puppies, so much mischief, trouble and cuteness bundled up into one little fluffball :)

Poisonous Plants - Tulip - The Poison Plant Patch

My shoes... socks... boxers... are everywhere (where he grabs them and cheekily runs away with them).

Why did I buy him toys when he prefers shoes???

I am thinking of buying a pair of slippers (I hate slippers) so he can just steal them and chew them....

Except then he might not know difference between shoes he's allowed, and ones he's not :)

Its kind of like my cats I suppose- buy a cat toy, and they're more interested with the box, or a paper bag or similar...

Except then he might not know difference between shoes he's allowed, and ones he's not :)

Its kind of like my cats I suppose- buy a cat toy, and they're more interested with the box, or a paper bag or similar...

Box - that's a great idea.

One of my cats (starved of oxygen at birth I think and picked up worms at just a few weeks old too) - was an absolutely adorable cat. She was so playful. But, she loved her shoebox. She'd sit in it and let you fly her around the house. When you landed, she'd get out, look at you, get back in and wait for another ride!

Also, we had a spare curtain wire thing (I'm not overly domestic sorry) which she'd chase around. I was busy studying and she was busying walking around trying to get my attention with the curtain rail in her mouth.

She was a bit special!

Marbles were also a favourite of another one of my feline friends. I taught him to use the stairs and the marble. Unfortunately he loved the game so much that he'd play it at 3am!

Mhmm its off topic again- but one of my cats favourite past times is to chase Hills Oral biscuits- theyre bigger and kind of rounder than standard biscuits, and they roll, bounce etc. perfectly off the walls, and across the polished timber floors. If she's in a 'chasing' mood, she will not eat the biscuits unless it has been flung across the room so she can chase it. if you throw it so it lands right in front of her, and she didn't need to chase- she won't eat it... I do only initiate these play sessions myself though- if she wants to play and I don't want to, she just dips out on the food for a while... she learnt pretty quick to eat when the bowl was offered, and to play only when my behaviour told her so :) I've never seen a cat so intent on something- she'll just sit there, head lowered, ears pricked as far forward as possible, intently watching you, waiting for you to throw a biscuit... and as soon as you do, she's off- she'll leap in the air, do back ***** etc, bowl the other cats over to get to the biscuits etc... And like dogs, if you pretend to throw one, she'll often jump or twist around to start running etc before she realises...

aaanyway, dog food.. right :D

I find it odd people saying 'dog roll' is bad for dogs, i tend to look at the ingredients before the product type or brand name and there are just as many dog biscuits that are full of crap as there is meat roll.

Basically i look for preservative free meat sources, leaning towards chicken and fish with some red meat but too much protein is something i find alot of in some of the more expensive up class brands of dog food (Some, not all), be it biscuits or meat. Too much protein in my experience causes skin concerns, bad breath and groooooss poop.

I'm in agreance when people say that every dog is different, a number of different factors like breed, activity level, age are important but to completely dismiss one kind of pet product is sort of moronic.

I'd feel sorry for my dogs if they were fed one of those new age all biscuit diets that gives them 'everything they need'. How boring. Food is enjoyment for them and variation is my outlook, fish, chicken, pasta, additive, colour, preservative free meat roll and/or biscuits, a teaspoon of oil and loads of vegetables (and of course table scraps).

What's the point of feeding a dog pasta and veggies?
'

Even in the wild dogs will eat vegetables and some fruit.

Just like humans, they need fibre. Even though fibre isn't digestible, we still eat it. It helps with the internal workings ;)

As for dog biscuits - only the good quality ones are what I am concerned with hypochondroac - I consider the supermarket ones to be as good as a packet of Twisties for humans.

If it has been properly feed tested then I consider it a brand that is worth trying.

Right now my dog is just on the biscuits - but that diet is about to change where he will get a mixture of both biscuits and K9 venison. I can see that this is the only way he'll be truly healthy and happy. I've given the biscuits a good try.

He'll also get cooked eggs (based on people's opinions here and research). But not raw.

All I want is to see a happy, healthy puppy and one that stays that way throughout his life. He will still have to put up with biscuits for a few days, living rural means the k9 products need to be delivered to my door.

I haven't met a dog that doesn't like raw eggs tbh.

I love chips, but they're not all that good for me :)

Raw egg whites contain a substance that inhibits the absorption of Vitamin B - cooking the egg whites removes the adivin - I'm not saying they won't eat it raw, because I bet they do :) I'm saying that research suggests raw egg white is not good for your dog :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ New Post --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I now think I found my happy medium...

Using K9 freeze dried raw food (venison) and Hills Science Diet.

He now eats the right amount of Hills and the K9.

Before when he got just Hills he was all "meh..."

Now when he sees the K9 stuff and the water going in to his bowl he's jumping around and yappity yapping and smiling and happy and energetic and full of the beans we want to see in a puppy.

Then he woofs down the lot!

I'm quite pleased with the change. It took a fair whack of finding the most nutritious and healthy diet - and I think I have hit that medium after 4 weeks of trying.

Regardless of his appetite for Hills (he got plenty of food, we never needed to worry there) he is now 10.2kg and has put on 1kg per week since I have got him!

Thanks again for all your input on dog roll - it got me searching far more and researching more and also got some great advice from people really in the know.

Thanks again!

I have to admit, I am so in love with owning a dog. He really is an amazing animal already....

PS - if anyone wants to 'add' something to this discussion, I'm happy to change the topic to - What is the best 'thing' I need to teach my dog?

So far he has mastered:

Sit (does it even when distracted, and is an amazing sitter)
Right down (he goes right down in a flash... When other dogs struggle he does it. The only problem is, if he wants back up again through distractions, it appears he'll do it)
Shake hands (he picked this up on day one. He'd never learnt it before, but he does it all the time now - and even with distractions he's perfect at it!)
Roll over (often requires the right down command first before he'll do roll over)
Speak (he's not as good at this yet, he will try, but nothing comes out. I only reward when he actually speaks. My thoughts were to get him to learn to speak at the door when he wants to go outside)
Wait (he has learnt to wait for food. But not learnt to 'Stay' - I can't seem to get him to stay... yet... I'm working on it)
Come (I don't actually use the come command, because as of yet he prefers come here (the two words) and does it no problems. Though, in high distractions he has selective hearing)

He already walks well, both on a lead and off. So I've not been able to really use the 'heel' command. However, I do try it when he's on the lead and pulling a bit, but he doesn't seem to care for the command, he just does what he's supposed to straight out.

I really really really want to work on 'Stay' this weekend. Just not so sure how I am going to do it yet.

So anyone want to give me a good command I should use?

Last edited:
dog food, like some foods for human seems to be the best only if its expensive

if it is so good for dogs then maybe they should lower the price of it

its like 'healthy' food for humans, ever notice it more expensive then other stuff? if its suppose to be better for you then lower the price and make the other stuff dearer

then maybe people will stop buying the other stuff and start buying the healthier options for both humans and animals

Price is a deceiving influence. People will instantly think the cheap brand is crap, and the expensive brand is good. If the good brand is too cheap, people won't buy it. So it's a really unusual catch 22!

What I never understood though was the difference in price between organic v commercially grown produce and why organic is more expensive? But that is totally off the topic of dog food - although you can buy organic dog foods.

As I said before, I've got my puppy on a pretty expensive diet, and I am believing it's the best for him. He is as happy as I've ever seen and eating far more Hills than ever before. So I think I have hit that happy medium for a happy dog. It does seem a bit unfortunate that the Hills is around $100(NZ) per 7.5kg!! Though, it be fair, that still works out pretty cheap as he eats less than 300g per day!

The other stuff he eats, the K9 freeze dried venison, is around $35 for 40 serves (approx) - so that's actually not too bad.

The way I see it, and the way most vets let you see it, if you get this part right early, it sets them up for a healthy long life and keeps them out of the vets (and you in the vets buying their food).

Also - I called up Hills the other day and told them my story - that my dog wouldn't eat the biscuits and I really wanted him to. So they sent me 6 cans of science diet puppy food! Another way to keep me roped in :)

The best book I've read was "Give your dog a bone" by Dr Ian Billinghurst. A vet in aus who tells it like it is. Biscuits and roll both bad. A dog in the wild does what comes naturally. Read the book will solve all questions.

My girlfriend prefers her dogs as biscuits
Im not that keen on either biscuits or rolls

But BBQ is fine

Not long after getting my pup I had vip dog rolls recommended to me by a dog carer. After reading this I moved her off the roll and she is a lot less hypo... Well as much less as you can expect a puppy to be.

She grazes her biscuits as she likes (luckily she isn't an over eater) and is fed wet food (could be tinned or fresh made) 5 nights out of 7. Between 300-500g of 'wet food' per serve. She is a 7 month old bull arab/bull mastif and is as healthy as they come, growing like a champ and barely an ounce of fat on her (i get worried sometimes but aparently the ribs will show less when she gets a bit older).

I make her a treat occasionally where I mix together any left over roast with a sausage or 2, some fish, rice, some egg and a couple of mixed veg. I top this with some good fish sauce and gravy and she LOVES IT. its also not a bad mix of vitamins etc. I tend to soak a rawhide bone in beef or chicken stock on the nights she doesn't eat so she feels like she has had something. Great for her teeth too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back