Visually sexing Stimson's

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompers

Reaction score
Might get a few raised eyebrows on that topic header.
Was hoping someone is proficient enough to visually sex my new Stimsons Python via some pics below, before I go fork out a wad at the vet... Any help would be appreciated.
Snake is 45cm approx and 6-12 months old.
7caa4335-4292-0d7c.jpg

7caa4335-42db-4097.jpg

7caa4335-4304-a9e7.jpg

Thanks!

If anyone does try and give you the sex without probing or looking at a shed with sperm plugs then DON'T BELEIVE them. It can't be done accurately with pythons.

wrong angle/s for a visual...imo...you need the snake turned upside down and then take a pic/shot from overhead and then mention how old the snake is....and then its only very good guess
.......solar 17 (baden)

Last edited by a moderator:
Visually sexing a python can be done, although it's not as accurate as probing. Examining the tail of the snake horizontally, look at the area between the cloaca and where it thins out to the end of the tail. Females usually have 'quick' thin out to the tail, where as males will usually have a slight (sometimes very slight) 'bludge' where their hidden boy bits (hemipenes) are. This method is easier on snakes that are a bit bigger. But even if I have determined the sex by this visual method I would still get it confirmed by probing anyway.

Visually sexing a python can be done, although it's not as accurate as probing. Examining the tail of the snake horizontally, look at the area between the cloaca and where it thins out to the end of the tail. Females usually have 'quick' thin out to the tail, where as males will usually have a slight (sometimes very slight) 'bludge' where their hidden boy bits (hemipenes) are. This method is easier on snakes that are a bit bigger. But even if I have determined the sex by this visual method I would still get it confirmed by probing anyway.

Well lets test this then. If you or anyone can examine, lets say 20 pythons, varying species, varying ages and of an unknown sex to you and you get better than say a 70% accuracey then i will print out this thread and eat it.

Well lets test this then. If you or anyone can examine, lets say 20 pythons, varying species, varying ages and of an unknown sex to you and you get better than say a 70% accuracey then i will print out this thread and eat it.
calm down mate she said it can be done not that it was an accurate way of having it done if you read her post properly she says that she would still have it probed anyway so theres no need for you to trie and put her down

Lol, hope you like paper then. Someone has already been there, done that:

From PilabraPythons.com: "I put this to the ultimate test one day and sexed 19 hatchling carpets by visual identification and after my friend double checked with a probe was found to be 100% correct. I have never in the last five years got it wrong and have visually determined the sexes of hundreds of snakes. On occasions I have been unsure with hatchling Antaresia's as they are so small and with these; I suggest the use of a probe."

So I'm hesitant to get my python probed. But it seems I have no choice, it just sounds too invasive.
So I'm gonna head down to the vet today, it will cost $97 including a consultation/Heath check up.
From all the articles I've read I'm gonna visually guess its female (and I have no experience with this and then nothing to compare with either) and I guess well find out later today. Then I can name him/her.
Anyone else want to lay down a guess?

I'm calm lol, that was what you call humour. Eat the thread as in eat my words, get it?!?!?

Like i said lets test this out.

calm down mate she said it can be done not that it was an accurate way of having it done if you read her post properly she says that she would still have it probed anyway so theres no need for you to trie and put her down

well l know of two people (not me) that get well over 90% correct on visual sexing all of the time and another "well known" herper in s.a. who sexes visually "straight" out of the egg and claims its more accurate than probing, l just know in life you cant judge everybodies capabilities and passions for learning, look at the wright bros. (flight)everything was here, just not in the correct order.
........solar 17 (baden)

I'm willing to put this to the test! Mmmmm delicious paper!

How about we do a double blind test, someone with a bunch of snakes, varying ages and species who knows the sexes but hasn't told anyone posts up pictures of their snakes cloaccas and we see how everyone goes?

BBEV booked out today and sat...(my days off) Anyone know another reputable clinic?

It's a female.
If it's not a female then it's definitely a male

Possibility...Hermaphrodite?

7caa4335-6076-4b19.jpg

Better?
M or F guesses?

Last edited:
Tail sexing is generally quite easy when doing it in person. It makes it hard over photo's because inevitably, like this thread, people post the wrong angle and not close up enough in the photos. If 20 pics are posted with a close up, in focus and holding the snake side on and horizontally I think there will be a video posted up not too long after with someone eating 3 pages of paper. make the thread bigger so there is more to eat.

Can't you just take it to your reptile dealer to get sexed. That's what I'm doing :)

I'll be putting my paper where my mouth is if ti can be done.

20 snakes and i'll make a meal of it!

Dealer is a decent drive away, I don't trust a pet shop. Thought it a good laugh to get some guesses before its official :)

I'll be putting my paper where my mouth is if ti can be done.

20 snakes and i'll make a meal of it!

Get some fiber into ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back