Pet Hippo mauls owner to death

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A "pet" hippo is just a disaster waiting to happen, they are the most dangerous animal in Africa for a reason.
A wild animal can never truly be a "pet".

Absolutely terrifying! Sometimes the most tamed, calm animal can turn vicious!!! Poor guy, never saw it coming :(...

I'm pretty sure "pet" and "hippo" were never meant to go together. Much like the "Grizzly Man", odds are just not in your favour. RIP crazy dude.

A "pet" hippo is just a disaster waiting to happen, they are the most dangerous animal in Africa for a reason.
A wild animal can never truly be a "pet".
Herps are wild, not domesticated... they're pets...

There are more people that die In africa from hippo attcks than any other wild animal so no one should have one as a pet there big heavy and have a huge mouth of big teeth

After watching that man with his "pet" crocodile, still friendly after many many years, I say never say never! =D

In the video he looks pretty scared of it! He is clearly trying to stay away from his 'loving pets' mouth!

I agree Jay, he doesn't look like he has it the least bit tamed or has any kind of relationship with it and the story says it had already chased him and his 7 year old grandson up a tree and killed calf and escaped and chased golfers, what the hell was he thinking.

Pffft!
Seems to me this poor hippo is just misunderstood.
What happens to him now?
They can send him to me, he can live in my spa on the balcony : )

oh well, at least he died with his mate. better than cancer hey......

This has put the hippo keepers lobby back years.
My thoughts go out to all the dedicated keepers, and hippo's who have yet another obstacle to overcome

I couldn't get that West article to download, but was it about a couple who had raised a baby hippo who'd been orphaned. I saw a doco on tv about them...they had no human children and treated this animal as a child, swiming with it...it was really a bit weird.....did it kill the husband ???? Or is that another case....

I think it depends whether you befriend a female hippo or a male hippo. Male hippo's are very,very territorial.

We used to fish the Zambesi for Tigerfish when I was a kid
Natives were terrified of hippos so dad made a big wide thing more like a barge than a boat

I think from underwater a canoe looks like a croc and hippos dont like crocs
Saw several heavy dugouts that had been bitten in two

hippos, tigers, bears, scrub python, taipans or dogs or anything for that matter, the people that decide to take on the task of keeping these animals im sure understand the possible outcomes of keeping animals that can overpower or kill, and if they don't understand then they soon will. RIP hippo man...

Last edited:
I can't understand people who say he shouldn't have a hippo, pureliy because it is a hippo and they have killed a fair few people in the past,
That is a horrible argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back