Info on Rough Scaled Python please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starr9

Reaction score
Ok Id like some more info on Rough Scaled pythons please as Id like to look at getting one in the future. What type of enclosure do they need: more hight than length?!?
any special things they need to keep them happy in there enclosure etc. Just any extra info anyone can give me please would be AMAZING!!! I have done a search on here and google but I cant find much on enclosure requirments etc So if anyone can help with any info or send me in the direction where i can get some more info it would be AMAZING!!!

I want to make sure this is the right selection for me and that I can make her/him happy and healthy!!!

Thank you!

Verity :)

I will just say that it shall be alot different to your stimmie! ;) Sorry i couldnt be more helpful, i havent looked into vens.......im too chicken! :lol:

They are very basic to keep and maintain.
They enjoy a simple perch and hide, clean fresh water, a hot bask spot and cool escape end.
They do well in tubs or enclosures.......if maintained with adequate levels of husbandry.

They handle and feed great and are a pleasure to keep and maintain.
They have a very inquisitive nature and all 14 i have raised have been calm, non aggressive and amicable.

They colour shift from day/night and with hot/cold temps, which is always interesting to watch.

They have a long strike range when feeding and the majority seem to grab on the side of the head/neck rather than over the mouth of their prey.

They are great value too these days (cheap really).

Hope this helps.

I will just say that it shall be alot different to your stimmie! ;) Sorry i couldnt be more helpful, i havent looked into vens.......im too chicken! :lol:
Bel I think you might be thinking of rough scaled snakes?

Sorry Starr I cant really be of any help as we're not allowed them in WA, but I did want to say I'm very jealous! Put pics up if you get one? :)

Bel I think you might be thinking of rough scaled snakes?

Sorry Starr I cant really be of any help as we're not allowed them in WA, but I did want to say I'm very jealous! Put pics up if you get one? :)

I sure was......i should learn to read all words properly! :? I still have no helpful info though, except ive heard they have lovely sharp teeth! Orientalis seems to have covered alot for you!
Goodluck Verity!

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone!!!
I cant w8 till I can get one!!! I think it will be next year but I can start to get everything now!! Just want to make sure I get the correct enclosure this time and have the best set up I can for him/her!!!

Thank you Orientalis! Do you breed them at all?!? Do they need set humidity levels?!?

Thank you Orientalis! Do you breed them at all?!? Do they need set humidity levels?!?[/QUOTE]

You are welcome.
Yes i have a clutch due to hatch in 2 weeks time:)
Humidity......i have not ever experienced a single bad shed with them. So would say that no, no set level is required.
I keep a hot spot/cool end escape, hide and clean fresh water with regular daily observations and keep environment sanitary.

They are so gorgeous! I've compiled a complete husbandry manual that I think I should put up somewhere as I struggled to find a lot of info on them.

Orientails actually helped me with it =] I got full marks!

You are welcome.
Yes i have a clutch due to hatch in 2 weeks time:)
Humidity......i have not ever experienced a single bad shed with them. So would say that no, no set level is required.
I keep a hot spot/cool end escape, hide and clean fresh water with regular daily observations and keep environment sanitary.[/QUOTE]

Ok thank you for that! So I could do a set up very much like my stimmie and it should be fine fingers x-d!!!
Oh now I want one even more!!! Can you please put some pics up when they hatch?!?! And do you live in Queensland?? and do you ship them please?!?! Can you pm me $$ to please?!?
I should stop asking q's as I can just see me getting one sooner than expected!! hahahaha!!!

They are so gorgeous! I've compiled a complete husbandry manual that I think I should put up somewhere as I struggled to find a lot of info on them.

Orientails actually helped me with it =] I got full marks!

Congrats on full marks!!! It sounds like a g8 read if you are willing to share Id love to read it! Can never learn enough about snakes I say!!!

Hey yeah I wouldn't mind getting someone like orientails who has a lot more experience with them to have a final read over it but I can email it to you =] just pm me your email and I'll send it through. It also has a lot of really good detailed general snake husbandry info

Yes i will post pic's.
Don't rush into it.
Best off taking time and making the right choice. There should always be roughies available from someone in the country, there is no need to ever jump the gun and purchase before you are really ready.
I ship yes, but honetly....stick to your original plan and wait until next year.

Yes, congrats Jazzz.......I'd be interested in reading what you got full marks on also, especially now that you have credited me with assistance on the matter:)

Yes i will post pic's.
Don't rush into it.
Best off taking time and making the right choice. There should always be roughies available from someone in the country, there is no need to ever jump the gun and purchase before you are really ready.
I ship yes, but honetly....stick to your original plan and wait until next year.

Yes, congrats Jazzz.......I'd be interested in reading what you got full marks on also, especially now that you have credited me with assistance on the matter:)

Your right. I will w8 till next year as I should by then have a full room I can start to fill!!! hahahaha!! Kidding! My next thing will be to set my stimmie up in a better enclosure than this one. And look into one for a roughy at the same time! Then after that im thinking an olive!!! hahaha!!!

Oh the wish list!!!

Haha pm me your email and I'll send it to you orientails =] it's written as a proposal for a zoo to get them. I only lost 2 marks for referencing because I couldn't find any scientific papers... But I don't count that =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back