Culling Camels

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Steve.

Just looking at my little black book of herping, if i look for them which means going at the right time to the right place, i can easily find those kinds of numbers of nuchalis. Maybe the species has bounced back?

I tried earlier in the year to get the snake relocation data from parks for the last however long they have been keeping them, to look at drops in numbers after toads etc. But they had managed to lose ALL of that data.

Let's face it, they never recorded the data in the first place!

I was stunned to discover that in the two Parks they have in the southern outcropping of the Depot Creek Sandstone (a region I have been exploring/ researching for 25 years), Umbrawarra Gorge and Butterfly Gorge, there has never been a single flora, fauna or cultural site survey undertaken in the 20+ years they have operated there!

And now they want to open the area up for a flood of unregulated tourists when they no idea what is even in the area.
They tried 10 years ago and I fought it up to ministerial level and I will do the same again. This zone is a critical dry season refuge for animals from the east (granite) and west (limestone) country which holds no water at all.

Good luck Steve I really hope you can prevent the tourists from gaining access to places they really don't need to be. I hate the fact that every time we find an untouched place with rare or strange critters in it that we have to ruin it by advertising or letting people into it. The best way in my eyes to prevent distruction of habitat and the loss of beautiful places and creatures is to shut the hell up about it and leave it alone unless there are plans to destroy it already ie. mining or clearing for construction. Much as we think it's our God given right to go where we want and see everything, it simply isn't and I think people need to start realizing this. There are some things that should just be left alone.

On the subject of culling, I think it's sad but necessary. These animals should not be here and as cute as most of them are they need to be controlled. I love animals but feral ones destroy the habitats of many more native critters that don't live anywhere else in the world and they need to be protected. The fact that they do recycle some of the culls is just a bonus, and the ones that can't make it for human or canine consumption are still doing their jobs out in the bush feeding natives and the earth.

Truth!

The local supermarket sells a line of kangaroo sausages that I first blanch in boiling water for a few moments and then place into a casserole dish and cover with Passata Di Pomodoro Rustica and mozzarella cheese. Bake in the oven until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is beautifully molten.

Fabulous with a Shiraz and lots of crusty bread.

Thanks cobber! I love macropod but never worked the snags out. Goodonya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back