URGENT! pigmy bearded dragons just mated

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom, you may find someone local who has some room in their incubator. I'm sure someone will take care of the eggs for you.

If you make a list of the reptiles you have I'm sure people would be happy to advise you on which species will be easiest kept, eg. Its easy to keep snakes that are similar in size as you only need to buy 1 type of food and any refused meals can easily be fed to another hungry animal.

I can imagine that this is a hard position for you to be in and I'm sure it happens to lots of people. Its very easy to want so many different species but quickly have the collection exceed your husbandry abilities.

I know that it is going to be hard to let some of these guys go but it seems that underneath you do understand that it is in their best interest to goto a knowledge herper who will love and care for them.

You may even find someone who will take a pair off you and happily give you a hatchie or two down the track when you're ready to care for that species again.

Your first order of business would be to find someone local with some room in their incubator and I suggest letting the eggs goto them.

In the end all we can do is advise, the final course shall be up to you and your father but I don't think you would be reaching out on here if you didn't know it was time for action.

Tom, Miss2 has a great point, maybe post some more pics of what you have etc, & then people with experience in keeping these animals can help.......lizards are foreign to me, so i cant offer much more then what i have. I did just want you to know though that no one here is having a go at you, im sure we can all agree the animals needs need to be met though, or as i mentioned, vet bills are going to cost you alot more then heat lamps etc. I can feel for you, as i also just love pets, & often have to tell myself NO when it comes to wanting more.......cause no matter how much i want them, my bank account just wouldnt allow me to care for them properly right now. Its sad, sometimes after looking at pets, whether it be another snake, a dog or a bird, i cry that i cant take them with me! :oops: But the point is, unless all your pets have what they need, & you have money there for emergencies if need be, you really just cant keep adding to your family. I always find that if i cant have a new pet, i can cheer myself up by simply buying something new for one of my current pets, maybe a pigs head for the dogs or a new toy for the birds, but making the babies i already have happy is definately more rewarding then bringing home another pet & not caring for it properly. Where abouts are you.......maybe it would help if someone came tried offer you & your dad some pointers?

a pigs head bel??:shock: mine only get ears LOL

Yeah, i started buying them when i had shepards, but my staffy loves them 2, so he gets the odd one! They get ears & snouts too though!

If you are having trouble with money, I would try and sell or give the female away whilst she's gravid. I've bred beardies for years and they lay many eggs and so many babies. And they are VERY EXPENSIVE to raise!!!

thanks to all who were concerned. ive had a chance to talk to dad and there really is nothing to worry about. i was getting anxious looking after everything whilst dad was having a busy few days at work. it turns out that more was being done for the lizards than i realised. they are all on dads licence. he has had reptiles for years, and i have been interested in them on and off since i was about 3, so dad has had plenty of experience. in fact the last reptile that came to us was more than 2 years ago. all the reptiles have heat mats and uv + heat is given where needed. they all eat very well, including buk/pak choy, carrot, strawbs, apple etc, and most types of live food. including super worms, silk worms, pinkie mice (not live), crickets and woodies. we have recently moved and are still setting up our collection. we are planning to make bigger enclosures for some of them. we also do plan on finding good homes for some considering we have a large number. as for the pigmy we plan on selling/giving her to someone who deserves her before she lays. if she does i might have someone who can help with the eggs, anyway thank you for everyone who has offered helpfull advice and i have learnt alot.

well put Tom...i think you were able learn a little more than just animal husbandry.I admire your enthusiasm for reptiles..

tom. im sorry but if you and your father have experince in reptiles why was a dragon left in a cage with no furniture and no heat light...?

I agree with both above posts......Tom, as i have already said, it is quite obvious that you care very much for your pets, & its good to see that you are able to take people's advice on board without getting 'snippy' about it, your heart is in the right place.......in saying that though, i do wonder, as Miss2, why if your dad is so experienced are there certain husbandry requirements not being met? If it is as you first stated, & you are having trouble financially due to a large number of pets, i still advise that you & your dad sit down, asap, & work out what animals you can afford to keep properly, the longer you leave it, the worse off these animals are going to be. (That beautiful dragon you posted about earlier really does need a larger enclosure, heat lights etc & furniture.)

Hey Tom, I'm not far from Wyong (which is where it says you live), about 20 or so minutes. I'm away for the next 3 weeks but after that feel free to PM me and I'm probably able to give you help with any excess animals or such. I don't have the most space myself but still happy to help where I can.

Oh neglected to mention I have room in my incubator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back