Who knows anything about cars?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eitak

Reaction score
Ok so I love old classic cars but really I wouldn't have the faintest clue what is good or not.

All I know is that I should get an australian car so parts won't be so hard to find.

I found a car that looks great and seems well priced it is a Holden FB Special 4 door sedan 1960 model with a red engine (better than the grey models?)

Does anyone know is this particular model/year had any major issues that should deter me from looking further into it?

If it has a red motor its not the original as the FB came out with a 138 cu in/2.26 Litre Six Cylinder Grey Motor. Transmission. Three-Speed Manual Gearbox .The first of the red motors was 1964 EH.Also depends on how many other modifications,the front brakes have been changed to disc brakes(original drum),they don't handle unless major suspension work done,but if it does not have more than 4 litres of bodyfiller it shouldn't be too bad.Prices should be around $5K for a tidy example.

as said above they originally came with a grey motor. I converted a FB to a 202 stroker, supra 5sp, hr front discs and hr diff. Went well and didnt handle too bad either.

Bottom of front and rear quarters are a common rust area, along with bottom of doors. Not sure on qld laws but in NSW the engine being 15% more than the original required an engineers certificate to be roadworthy

He's not claiming the engine to be original - Heres a blurb about it!!

"engineered for the many improvements....
Such as ......a red motor with some chrome dress up bits , weber carb ( recond ) extractors new exhaust etc , 4 speed gear box , limited slip diff with rear disc brakes, disc brake front end with the c r s drop axles and the hr steering column to match ( with a really nice chrome honey pot i scored ! )
pretty much everything works , cds are in the boot so you can listen to zz top tapes
NO THERE IS NO RUST"

You say 5k he is asking 11k, would these improvements ^ increase the value? The interior and exterior aesthetics all appear mint as far as pics show

Sorry I want to find out as much as I can before I contact him.

P.s comes with a roadworthy

the 5k was for a standard example,the 11 k does not sound to bad if its in good condition as blurb says.But if I was looking at a 50 year old car I wouldn't decide on it unless I went over it in person for a couple of hours.As far as car mods,Some do it right,some do it wrong and some should never be around tools.

Last edited:
Hahaha ok, well the problem is I am in Townsville and the car is in Brisbane so I was trying to find out what I could and maybe from there pay a mechanic to look it over for me/check roadworthy. I figured money for that would be worth the piece of mind to make sure it was all ok.

I normally get my stepdad to look at cars for me but again the car is in bris plus he and my mother are trying to deter me from buying an "old bomb" :p

If your looking at spending 11k you should have a choice of classics,but the early to mid 60's nearly all need modifications to make them 'safe' to drive.If you look at american classics they can be sometimes cheaper and parts are easier to get.

I was under the impression that Aussie classics were easier to get parts for? I've been warned not to buy anything british. From what I have been looking at theres not much in good condition (I don't want to buy anything that needs finishing) for what I can afford to spend. 10k was what I was hoping to spend around/under.

But anyway thanks for the advice, I think i'll fish around for a little longer i've mainly been looking at fords/holden but will suss out some american makes.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back