My new most hated animal

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
No sleep last night, was kept up by the world's most irritatingly loud, horrible bird ever.
This morning, done some research and found the culprit for the hideous call.

Channel Billed Cuckoo, Scythrops novaehollandiae
The world's largest and noisiest cuckoo.Want to hear just how annoying it is? Click on this link for its call (hope this link's allowed?)
http://birdsinbackyards.net/images/audio/scythrops-novaehollandiae.mp3

I love channel billed cuckoos, they always signify the weather is warming up to me :)

Take comfort in the fact that up this way they're migratory so they're not here annoying you all year round:p

I've posted this before but anyway.They nest breed here every year.Can't say the noise bothers me.The kookaburras here are much noisier,sometimes they start going off in the middle of the night and can carry on for ages.
IMG_1731.jpg

I've posted this before but anyway.They nest breed here every year.Can't say the noise bothers me.The kookaburras here are much noisier,sometimes they start going off in the middle of the night and can carry on for ages.
Well the cuckoo we had was right outside my window and wouldnt shut up for about 2 hours after it started. By then it was 4 in the morning and I was not pleased.

I must admit though, they are impressive looking birds. They look like birds of prey.

So that's what that Bird is! We have them here too. They just started their 'cuckooing' during the night a month or so back. It sounds like it is in a tree in the front yard but I'm not so sure!

Rather loud but doesn't interupt my sleeping.

I must admit the bird life over here took some getting used to. My first night I spent in a tent, woke up blearily and dreamily listening to the magpies warbling, equating in my head and pre-dawn fuzz to the tui and bellbirds I was used to, only to be interrupted by a loud brackish 'CAW' right outside the tent.
Safe to say I crapped myself lmao. Love it now though :D

Channel-bills are fantastic, for the above reasons. They sound prehistoric to me, and their calls reverberate around the valleys from early October here at home.

Jamie

hahahaha why don't they sleep all night like other birds lol

Those Koels are annoying as well. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
THATS WHAT THAT IS! There have been several nights I wanted to hunt down the bird responsible and choke it to death LOL I am a very light/poor sleeper, I hear everything :(

I had only 1 sighting of this bird when living in Penrith for 38yrs, and the distinctive noise had me bolting out the door to see what it was....and such a huge bill. Def a kool bird.

I had only 1 sighting of this bird when living in Penrith for 38yrs, and the distinctive noise had me bolting out the door to see what it was....and such a huge bill. Def a kool bird.
It woke me up at 2 in the morning and had me shaking haha.

Ok I dont hate them but theyre extremely annoying. They look pretty awesome, but I'd appreciate it if they could just sit on a branch and calmy "cuckoo" like a cuckoo should lol

I used to think the same of pigeons when a kid trying to sleep in,...i had a power line full right up to the bedroom window cooing each other same pattern over n over n ......Maybe a recording of an eagle screech might make it go away :/

I love hearing Channel-bills, and Koels too. When you hear them you know spring is pretty much sprung! :D
Sure, they're big ugly things, but I love watching them too.

Maybe I'm just odd (not really much of a maybe) but I love laying in bed at night listening to the Cuckoos, Koels, Boobooks, and diesel locomotives hauling up and down the mountains.

I like boobooks, and Koels really dont bother me at all. But I just cant stand the cuckoos. They just sounds... scary :p

Well I'd rather have that bird than bloody bats fighting outside my balcony

Haha, cockatoo's can be very noisey. Whenever we're at caboolture there's one of those sulphur crested cockatoos thats so annoying you want to put it out of its misery.

Last edited:
I don't know what you're complaining about, I'd do anything to have that making noise at night... All I've got is trucks,cars,backfires, loud arabic music and there has been "gun like" noises, but hey the Ibrahims are just down the road... I'm thinking of getting the loudest frog species possible to try to drown out the 'city"...

I did some homework on these noisey buggers about 10 or so yrs back. They seem to have gone quiet in the last week or so here. Sometimes they go off through the night but usually the early morn hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.