A recent frogging trip

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jedi_339

Reaction score
Alrighty, so I went on a recent frogging trip, and I chose a different, and *fingers crossed* better spot, I'm hoping to maybe head out to the same spot tonight.

Here are a small selection of pictures, take note of the little blood sucking insects on some of the frogs as we got further up the creek.

ID's are a bit fuzzy for some of the little green/fawn guys, I'm thinking maybe Litoria pearsoniana however I haven't read anywhere that they can be fawn over there backs, so any help would be great

cheers and hope you enjoy

J

could be a L. fallax or a L. pearsoniana, he's not bright green but he's got the lighter line in front of the nose too, suggestions?
IMGP3262.JPG

Litoria Pearsoniana
IMGP3383.JPG

Litoria Chloris eye
IMGP3364.JPG

Litoria Chloris in Amplexus
IMGP3341.JPG

unsure on ID,
but more mozzies or some other insects
IMGP3332.JPG

ID once again if possible?
I was loving the green face of some of these guys.
Once again note the blood suckers
IMGP3326.JPG

Random underwater shot of an eel
IMGP3316.JPG

Once again green face,
but uncertain of ID
IMGP3309.JPG

A little fella, prob too small for positive ID
IMGP3290.JPG

L. Pearsoniana?
IMGP3281.JPG

I just included this pic for the way his eye looks like it's bulging on the angle :lol:
IMGP3272.JPG

This little guy I'm unsure of, unfortunately going back through my pics and this is the only photo I had of him :(
Any help with an ID would be great.
IMGP3265.JPG

The usual, and common Litoria Wilcoxii
IMGP3251.JPG

A nice Wilcoxii looks like she's swollen with eggs
IMGP3389.JPG

Cheers Reptile maniac, there are PLENTY of other pictures which are not up to scratch, I think somewhere in the order of 150 :lol:

I've been fairly busy lately so I haven't been able to head out on the right days, or the right times of the evening, I'm hoping to change that soon weather and time permitting, so we'll see if I can't find some more reptiles, I usually have a habit of finding them when I don't have a camera but such is life

I live down here but cant find frogs. I can find reptiles down here, but not frogs.
I see the occasional Fallax or GTF but not very often.

cheers Dicky knee,

Snakeluvver, I usually head up a creek line somewhere remote, might not be good for you being 12, but I try and find a stony creek, fast flowing in places but with deeper slower pools, lots of bush around, occasional lomandras, timber debris close by etc.

I also head for mountainous streams as opposed to coastal areas, dunno why, I just prefer the hills.

Hope you can find a good spot somewhere up there

Yeah they are all L.pearsoniana (except that I am not entirely sure on the correct current status between L.pearsoniana and L.barringtonensis) apart from the L.wilcox's and L.chloris'

Jordan, right at the end of the night before I was about to climb the bank and head back along the road we found the two in amplexus and about 7 single males all calling from within a patch of grass about 2m squared on top of a boulder, it was a great way to cap off the night.

cheers richoman

and Geck, As always thanks for the ID's, the information I read on L. pearsoniana on the frogs australia website seems to imply a completely green back, do they often occur with fawn or in some of the pictures even yellowish colouration?
I've never really paid much attention to them until recently, I'm quite certain a fair few of my previously classified L. fallax may well have been this species.

Yeah they almost always have fawn colouration, ones that are totally green should be L.barringtonensis, but probably are L.pearsoniana as well. Keep in mind it is still disputed what really is this species and if it really is a seperate species. (Plenty of evidence suggests it is but not much on what is it and what isn't it.)

Hmmm, interesting, it always becomes a bit confusing when reclassification starts to happen,
matter of fact L. Barringtonensis isn't listed anywhere in great detail other then wikipedia.

talk about bloody confusing, :lol:

I'll try and do a bit of research and see what I can find.

Those mozzie's look extra full, poor little frogs :(
That Wilcoxii is cool, im not into frogs so i always see new things on here :)

Nice photos. L. pearsoniana is a variable species in colouration but the thick brown headstripe from the nose to the tympanum is always present in this species. L. barringtonensis (which I've never seen in Queensland) has a very narrow gold stripe and the calls are a little bit different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back