Centipede ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeynewbie

Reaction score
My son found this fella in our garden and is keen to know what it is. I can only go so far as 'centipede' :p

Can anyone do better than me :lol:

We are NSW Sth Coast

Attachments

• photo (34).jpg
    photo (34).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 74
  • photo (33).jpg
    photo (33).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 73
I believe it may be of the Polydesmid sp. but can't narrow it down any further than that.

yep thats a millipede, most likely a polydesmid as ryan said
you do get centipedes were you are though, cormocephalus aurantiipes and cormocephalus westwoodi :)

Easy way to check (don't go counting legs - my way is much easier).

Put your finger in front of it, if it bites and stings like hell and you feel like you're about to pass out with the pain, it's a centipede.

Not sure what happens with the millipede, pretty sure most are defenceless or let off some kind of smell (probably like the one you found)!

So really, it's the easiest way to tell the difference.

Another way is:

Segments - Millipedes have a cylindrical body an segments fused in pairs - so millipede segments seem to have two pairs of legs each where centipedes only hve one pair per segment. The front of a centipede has poison fangs (forcipules) and the rear have legs that 'trail' behind.

I still think the first way is a guarantee identification method. But the latter may come easier after a few stings.

or an easier way to tell is to see if it has back legs on it ... (terminal legs)

My son found this fella in our garden and is keen to know what it is. I can only go so far as 'centipede' :p

Can anyone do better than me :lol:

We are NSW Sth Coast

NSW south coast will be crawling with them shortly. Its that time of the year.

You're not wrong Beard, here's one I found the other day in my Rabbit's hutch.
It was having a "swim" in the water bowl and found that it can only swim like a rock.....

6386399485_64dcbe6f9b.jpg

6386399453_2704a7d95c.jpg

6386399475_302f5f3aab.jpg

I'm located on the South Coast just north of Jervis Bay.
Richoman, if you want larger images of this one, I can email you them.
Also if I find any others alive, I'll keep them aside and alive if you are interested.

Cheers
Shaun.

wow very nice specimen!
it looks like a cormocephalus aurantiipes
if you find anymore like that id love to get one off you :) , very cool!

No worries fella.
I'll be digging in and around the vege patch over the weekend so may come across some.

Just for the benefit of you guys I live near S&M and we'll be travelling to Melbourne for christmas by car so happy to take some hitch hikers if wanted and we can meet up in Melbourne somewhere richo :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back