bug ID.Please help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

black_headed_mon

Reaction score
need help with these beetles they are everywhere in my backyard,are they poisonous to lizards?cause it's that time of yr and most of my guys are outside .many thanks

Attachments

• 000_0041.jpg
    000_0041.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 000_0042.jpg
    000_0042.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 000_0043.jpg
    000_0043.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 66
  • 000_0044.jpg
    000_0044.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 61
Not a beetle, it's a bug (hemipteran), probably some type of a stink bug. At a guesss I would imagine the taste might put the lizards off them but really have no idea.

Looks to be either a member of the Stink (also called Shield) Bug (Pentatomoidea) or Coreid Bug (Coreoidea) family but hard to narrow down without better pics.

Not sure about poisonous but as saratoga pointed out, if it is a Stink bug the taste would be off putting so I doubt your lizards would go after them.

cheers guys sorry bout the crap photo now i have some idea,google here i come!!!!

Dindymus versicolor, the Harlequin bug?

I used to see these all the time as a kid back in SA. I would also be interested to know exactly what they are.

Dindymus versicolor, the Harlequin bug?

I used to see these all the time as a kid back in SA. I would also be interested to know exactly what they are.

harlequin_bug2.JPG

Two pairs of Harlequin Bugs hiding in the Silverbeet
At this time of year (spring) the Harlequin bugs are breeding. In a short period of time from one couple there will be thousands. During the drought in Melbourne their numbers increased rapidly, invading vegie gardens and orchards. In numbers, they suck the juice of fruits and stems of most of our prized vegies. Particulary annoying on tomatoes. They are quite difficult to control. There are not many registered chemical controls. Once they start feeding on plants you can try using confidor drops at 2.5ml per 1 lt. There are a number of home remedies. Basic house fly spray sprayed directly onto the pest will cause them to drop off the plant and die. Try this in the morning when they are in one clump. A bowl of boiling water held underneath them with make them fall off to their death. I once tried a chilli spray (Bhut Jolokia - hottest in the world) and sprayed a tea solution onto a few harlequins as an experiment. They didn't like that too much. The next morning I found quite a few carcasses. The harlequin bug feeds off Marshmallow weed. Don't let this weed grow in your garden and help increase the bug population.

spot on digitaliss just googled them!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back