Does Pondtite Melt?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billzey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a quick question (the title is pretty self explanatory):) Does Pondtite melt or change at all when exposed to 40-45 degree temperatures for the entire day, every day? I'm planning on making a feature out of foam and acrylic render and sealing it with Pondtite and was wondering if making it the main basking area would be ok. Sorry if someone has already asked this I searched but couldn't find an answer.

Cheers:D

i personally wouldnt risk it directly under/alongside a basking light at that sort of temp. you'd be better of making a special basking spot by putting a log up high or using a slate tile under it.

It has a boiling point of 100*C according to the MSDS on the bondall website.
If it is designed for outdoor ponds, how hot do you think surface temps can get in its typical application?
However a enclosed environment could be susceptible to fumes.

It has a boiling point of 100*C according to the MSDS on the bondall website.
If it is designed for outdoor ponds, how hot do you think surface temps can get in its typical application?
However a enclosed environment could be susceptible to fumes.

True, That is stated on the MSDS.... however, boiling point is in reference to a liquid form !

Unless you live in the middle of the desert you are not going to get 40c-45c for 10 hours a day without any shade. Pondtite is designed for ponds, which normally live with a max of 4-5 hours sun on any given spot. with a max of maybe 45c for 4-5 hours for a few days if you're unlucky. and even then I doubt the surface temp would get that hot if you consider that it is painted onto concrete and there no restriction of air movement.

i'd think you would be more worried about the foam melting before the pondtite.

Forgot to mention that the tip top of the basking spot would be thermostat controlled to 40 deg C. I said 40-45 to allow for any possible fluctuation. Also the enclosure is very well ventilated with vents in the back and huge vents in the lid. I could install a small fan if necessary. Would you still not risk it? I guess I could put some slate on top of the foam feature for use as the actual basking spot but it would look a bit off and may have no effect anyway......

Last edited:
Yes it will change colour.. I dnt think it's made for painted surfaces and personally I kinda hate pondtite .. It's jst not a good sealer to use for rwptile stuff imo.. It's slippery,so u basically have to add sand everywhere,it's shiny,not completely waterproof and worst of all fades and changes the colour... Did with me anyway.. However I've had mine under my basking so I'll tell ya now it won't melt (will get very hot) but haven't had an issue with melting..but def will change colour..if I was you I'd get something else to sir under or if you like making ur own furniture like me..find another sealer that's better suited for reptile stuff like hides,basking platforms etc... And let me know when u do lol..
Good luck

Clear pondtite clearly states on its labeling that it is not flexible or designed to be applied to flexible surfaces. Not even fiberglass ponds. The tiniest bit of flex will cause pondtite to crack. Painted foam is too soft and will flex easily and get hairline cracks and leak, hence the reason so many of us coat the foam in render/cement or grout use oxides to colour the render and just use minimal paint for highlighting prior to
sealing !

direct from bondall website:
PONDTITE CLEAR

DESCRIPTION
[FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense][FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense]Bondall PondTite Clear is a brushable product that forms a tough, seamless, waterproof coating for water bearing objects. It is suitable for use on masonry surfaces only. It is environmentally friendly, simple to use and easily washable/cleanable
Bondall PondTite Clear (unlike the PondTite colour range) is a non-flexible product that will not allow for any surface movement. When using PondTite Clear, it is therefore essential that the surface area is of high quality. If the surface is questionable, PondTite Clear is not suitable for use and a PondTite colour-based product is recommended as an alternative.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense][FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense]√ Ideal for: Fish ponds
Bird Baths
Water features
Holding tanks (non-potable) (not for human consumption)
Reflective pools
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

X Not intended for:
Swimming Pools
Fountains Spas
Glass or fiberglass
Glazed or semi-glazed surfaces
Plastic, metal, wood
Painted surfaces

Yes it's shiny, small price to pay for easy clean. You'd only add a bit of sand to it if you had small lizards/ geckos running over it. My 1.5 meter pythons don't find it a problem. As for the colour change I'd suggest it's caused by the excessive heat. One of my tanks has had pondtite for 2 years and suffered no discoloration in the slightest !

Last edited:
Clear pondtite clearly states on its labeling that it is not flexible or designed to be applied to flexible surfaces. Not even fiberglass ponds. The tiniest bit of flex will cause pondtite to crack. Painted foam is too soft and will flex easily and get hairline cracks and leak, hence the reason so many of us coat the foam in render/cement or grout use oxides to colour the render and just use minimal paint for highlighting prior to
sealing !

direct from bondall website:
PONDTITE CLEAR

DESCRIPTION
[FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense][FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense]Bondall PondTite Clear is a brushable product that forms a tough, seamless, waterproof coating for water bearing objects. It is suitable for use on masonry surfaces only. It is environmentally friendly, simple to use and easily washable/cleanable
Bondall PondTite Clear (unlike the PondTite colour range) is a non-flexible product that will not allow for any surface movement. When using PondTite Clear, it is therefore essential that the surface area is of high quality. If the surface is questionable, PondTite Clear is not suitable for use and a PondTite colour-based product is recommended as an alternative.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense][FONT=YHSKAS+Swiss721BT-RomanCondense]√ Ideal for: Fish ponds
Bird Baths
Water features
Holding tanks (non-potable) (not for human consumption)
Reflective pools
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

X Not intended for:
Swimming Pools
Fountains Spas
Glass or fiberglass
Glazed or semi-glazed surfaces
Plastic, metal, wood
Painted surfaces

Yes it's shiny, small price to pay for easy clean. You'd only add a bit of sand to it if you had small lizards/ geckos running over it. My 1.5 meter pythons don't find it a problem. As for the colour change I'd suggest it's caused by the excessive heat. One of my tanks has had pondtite for 2 years and suffered no discoloration in the slightest !

http://www.crommelin.com.au/images/newProducts/Pond Sealer Clear.pdfFound this in my shed. Seems almost the same as Pondtite. What do you reckon?

Last edited:
you're right, the product you've mentioned does sound similar
actually used that brands tile and grout sealer (its not shiney) on the vertical surfaces of my 'Bali' tank with good results, i did use the pondtite on the horizontal surfaces though, so its easy to clean and excrement wont soak in.
(all my foam is covered with render)

you're right, the product you've mentioned does sound similar
actually used that brands tile and grout sealer (its not shiney) on the vertical surfaces of my 'Bali' tank with good results, i did use the pondtite on the horizontal surfaces though, so its easy to clean and excrement wont soak in.
(all my foam is covered with render)

I think i'll use the crommelin stuff all over and use fine grain sandpaper to buff out the shininess (like in lizard landscapes) if the need arises. Thanks heaps for the help and your Bali tank looks awesome!!

Pondtite does melt at high temperatures.
I had a monitor tank at 50 degrees and melted.
Do not have it directly exposed to a heat source.

Pondtite does melt at high temperatures.
I had a monitor tank at 50 degrees and melted.
Do not have it directly exposed to a heat source.

I was going to test it for a few days first in identical conditions. How long did it take for yours to start melting?

I'd try it for a few weeks rather than a few days
Set up the tank where it will eventually live. Close the tank as if it were occupied and then see how the pondtite goes and if you can smell any fumes of any sort

I'd try it for a few weeks rather than a few days
Set up the tank where it will eventually live. Close the tank as if it were occupied and then see how the pondtite goes and if you can smell any fumes of any sort

Yea that sounds like a more accurate experiment I will do that.

Cheers

If anyone is still interested I called Cromellin and the guy said that "pond sealer clear" should be able to withstand temperatures of up to 70 or 80 degrees celsius. I'm still gonna test it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back