Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve82

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Found out at Hatton Vale QLD. Black body, Brown head. Nice looking snake!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 283
I'd have to say that's a RBBS. Could be a black Eastern brown, but I didn't think you'd find the black Browns in that area.

I thought RBB at first too because of how black it was, until i saw it's light brown head which looked like the Eastern Brown.

Can't even see it lol
But google "Lesser black whip snake" and see if thats him :)
There are heaps round where I live.

hey ned i find most of my black eastern brown in hattonvale itself...in fact 3 complete black ones in hattonvale this year lol
its either a black brown or a red belly, not a lesser black whip, to my knowledge never been one found and are quiet rare in south east qld, ipswich area.

It is a Red bellied black snake (pseudechis porphyriacus)... It is very common for them to have light brown nosed so it is highly likely that this one had much more brown than most. Definatly not an eastern brown snake.

Last edited:
It is not a Lesser Black Whip. Do not throw those ideas up in the air, especially when dealing with large elapids that are potentially dangerous and in the case of Brown Snakes, extremely venomous
I'm heading towards Red Belly though. Would be great to see a better picture.

Pufferfish

Yeah im annoyed i couldnt get a better pic, i had my little boy with me so it was more a quick look, a quick pic and move on.

Do not throw those ideas up in the air, especially when dealing with large elapids that are potentially dangerous and in the case of Brown Snakes, extremely venomous

Couldn't agree more. How typical of APS experts - dono but I think ..... :evil: Pull your heads in experts.

It is not a Lesser Black Whip. Do not throw those ideas up in the air, especially when dealing with large elapids that are potentially dangerous and in the case of Brown Snakes, extremely venomous
I'm heading towards Red Belly though. Would be great to see a better picture.

Pufferfish

Sheesh, its just a suggestion. I think I am well within my right to make a suggestion just as you are. I didn't say it was anything specifically, just said to check out lesser black whip snakes as the only description was "black snake with brown head" and the picture shows pretty much nothing lol
If you are implying my suggestion could cause someone to become complacent, well thats just dumb, everyone should be well aware that you leave wild snakes alone no matter the possible species. And thats what we should all be promoting.

It is a Red bellied black snake (pseudechis porphyriacus)... It is very common for them to have light brown nosed so it is highly likely that this one had much more brown than most. Definatly not an eastern brown snake.

how can you fully rule out an eastern brown? forgive me i have bad eyes, but that photo is hard to see any red on the flanks of the snake? lol

heres an example of a hattonvale local eastern brown snake...caught at the school.

Attachments

• beastern.jpg
    beastern.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 122
Sheesh, its just a suggestion. I think I am well within my right to make a suggestion just as you are. I didn't say it was anything specifically, just said to check out lesser black whip snakes as the only description was "black snake with brown head" and the picture shows pretty much nothing lol
If you are implying my suggestion could cause someone to become complacent, well thats just dumb, everyone should be well aware that you leave wild snakes alone no matter the possible species. And thats what we should all be promoting.

So, what value or enlightenment does your "suggestion" carry? Steve didn't ask for suggestions, not even what species it was, he simply wrote "Found out at Hatton Vale QLD. Black body, Brown head. Nice looking snake!"
Thanks for sharing Steve.

So, what value or enlightenment does your "suggestion" carry? Steve didn't ask for suggestions, not even what species it was, he simply wrote "Found out at Hatton Vale QLD. Black body, Brown head. Nice looking snake!"
Thanks for sharing Steve.

The title says "I.D of Snake"... hence my suggestion.

Lol Michael, it's an I.D thread :p

Steve, the 2nd picture of its head is not working. Can you try to re-upload/attach it please?

Off topic. But smithy, that is a great looking Brown.
I havne't seen many Browns that consistantly dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back