Strange gray scales on beardy's head

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

absinthe_616

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a bearded dragon who 22 months old. He is very active, has no problem feeding or with stool or anything like that. but for ages, he's had these weird, raised scales on his head. I've done a bit of researching before I posted this and it would seem the logical answer is sloughing... but hes had them for ages! He's shed twice at least since he's had them, and I've soaked him a fair few times. Once, they came off (or it looked like it) but no sooner had the gray raisedness disappeared that it was back again!

I don't know what to do, I just hope they're not having any negative effect on him. Please any suggestions would be great :)

Attachments

• deidaras scales 003.jpg
    deidaras scales 003.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 65
  • deidaras scales 001.jpg
    deidaras scales 001.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 60
Maybe he has multiple layers retained so when you thought they had come off there was still a layer or two remaining hence why you didn't really see much change

looks like he rubs his nose a fair bit, either digging or up and down enclosure walls/ glass ???

i would say it's just from that. what does the enclosure look like?

wood and wire completely open outdoor viv. he does like to climb up the wire every now and then i'll find him half way up the cage. but i have astroturf as a substrate so theres not alot he can dig into....

Attachments

• cage n choppy 001.jpg
    cage n choppy 001.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 50
  • cage n choppy 005.jpg
    cage n choppy 005.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 51
without seeing him action, i would guess the grey scales are a bit of damage from rubbing his nose. i would try and give him a hide where he can be completely covered when he wants to be. the enclosure looks very open , and being outdoors he might be a bit stressed if he doesnt feel safe and is trying to get to cover. or he might be able to see food and trying to get through the wire to eat. either way thats my unedgumacated guess

thanks for your suggestions :)

i only just moved the boys outdoors today bacause the weathers hot enough now they can have 24 hour naturalness :D and there are a couple of hides missing in that pic because they were being sanitized haha, they havent been put back in yet, they do have two more separate completely covered over hides for shelter

if it basks with its nose up that would be the spot that gets hottest,...maybe its getting slowly burnt from the heat produced by the lights,...??

a few years ago i had a girl that had a similar look on the skin above her eyes, (where she got the hottest) once she started living on windowsills it disappeared,....

he basks upright hugging his driftwood... but it never gets that hot. also, is he undersized for 22 months old? hes only 34cms (13 inches) long

+1 to chris1's suggestion too. could be like sunburn peeling for us.

i went with nose rubbing cos i had a fella who used to run back and forth with his nose on the enclosure wall, and looked just like the one pictured. he was always trying to get out to get to the flower bed next to his enclosure

he basks upright hugging his driftwood... but it never gets that hot. also, is he undersized for 22 months old? hes only 34cms (13 inches) long

hard to comment on the undersized question without knowing how big his parents are,..

i have a 10 YEAR old female who is about 35cms/229g, a few younger girls around 40cms, but then, another one of my girls was 51cms at 10 months old,.....so as long as it eats well and looks healthy it really depends on genetics.

oh good i was a little worried :) hes super active and always eats everything i give him. i dont know their measurements... but i have a photo of them... that might gauge relative size?

Attachments

• Deidara's Dad.jpg
    Deidara's Dad.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Deidara's Mum.jpg
    Deidara's Mum.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back