Huskies- who else out there owns this gorgeous breed.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
funny u say that, cause i was watching frozen planet or watever its called thats on tv lately, and they say that in summer in siberia the weather gets up to 40degrees. so huskys and mals normaly can cope in that weather. made me feel a littel better knowing that. although i still go out of my way to help keep her cool in summer. hehe

Nice head on the Mal. I used to breed them and had a lot of success with my progeny in the show ring. I could never own a different dog anymore but I have cats and reptiles now. The mals needed exercise which I wasn't able to do. Not meant to be a backyard animal at all. Yes they can drive you up the wall and escape artists none better!!!

Hey guys, update on the thread Halli our gorgeous girl gave birth to 7 bundles of joy last night 5 girls 2 boys. she's such a focused mum and had complete control over the birth the whole time.

Taken me since yesterday to add the pick who knows why it wasn't letting me

Attachments

• DSCF0458.jpg
    DSCF0458.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
oh WOW mace699. how gorgeous. u are so lucky. keep me updated with piccies of the bubs. i love watching them grow up. very lucky indeed.

will do they are growing so quick already put on about 200 grams since sat/night sun/morning when they where born all nearly over half a kilo now. she's such a good mum so proud of her.

yep he's the one from the third pic from post #18 funny thing is most of these pups from this litter look more like halli's father than her or the dad.

This is storm the malamute x Husky. She was adopted about a month and a half ago as a companion for out male Malamute. she is approx 2yo. She is very chatty and loves nothing more than your undivided attention.

Your husky has gorgeous eyes! and I love the rusty colored fur

How do they go in goldy? Always wanted one but imagined it'd be torture keeping them up here. Do they tolerate summer well?

Yes what can you do when they get that I have found even after a good walk if they are in the mood they will landscape in their own little way

How do they go in goldy? Always wanted one but imagined it'd be torture keeping them up here. Do they tolerate summer well?

Hey mate,

the beauty of their coat is its like insulation so it doesnt just keep them warm but also keeps them cool so they do fine as long as they can get out of direct sunlight if they want to as spending a whole day in 30 degree weather with no where to get away from the sun is great for beardies but not so good for dogs.

my girl copes ok. she sleeps in the shower and has her own little pool. as soon as we go for a walk the first thing she does is go out the back and lay in her pool for about 5 mins, then sleeps all night. ahhhh so quiet then. hehe

Well she has been shaved ATM due to a paralysis tick.
They both usually are fine in summer. We give them ice in thier drinks etc. and they love to sit in front of a fan. We have in the past given them wading pools and so forth, but neither of them would use it. My Mally loves so sit in his damp sand pit in the shade in the heat of the day. Usually they sleep all day then play after it has cooled down in the evening.

i read somewere that ice in dogs water bowls isnt good for there stomach. becuase the stomach is hot and then putting something so freezing cold in there. wether or not its tru, i remember reading it online somerwere??

i read somewere that ice in dogs water bowls isnt good for there stomach. becuase the stomach is hot and then putting something so freezing cold in there. wether or not its tru, i remember reading it online somerwere??

I have never heard that before... hrm.. What stops them eating snow in their native habitat? If you recall where you heard it, please let me know I would be very interested. I have given my dogs ice for years and never had a problem..

Just did a quick search, W the article you were referring to about a show dog that drank ice water an then rushed to the vet as it caused his muscles to spasm causing bloat?
I do not believe that Ice will cause this.

Last edited by a moderator:
bloat is not generally as big of an issue with huskies as it is with other dogs, one thing you can do is actually freeze water in a coke bottle or something with a peice of meat or treats in the water cut the bottle away then they have a cool rewarding teeth cleaning treat they love it. it will keep them busy for a few hours too.

Mine just love to suck standard ice cubes, I dont think they would know what to do with themselves if i put something inside LOL!
Thanks for the idea :)

Hey mate,

the beauty of their coat is its like insulation so it doesnt just keep them warm but also keeps them cool so they do fine as long as they can get out of direct sunlight if they want to as spending a whole day in 30 degree weather with no where to get away from the sun is great for beardies but not so good for dogs.

Agreed...and the trick is not to shave them. According to a well known breeder who my brother purchased their huskie from...Their fur/hair is hollow and they can manouvre their fur in certain ways/directions and use it to either retain warmth or as part of a cooling mechanism. Once they've been shaved their coat thickens and it loses efficiency bacause they can't cool themselves in the same way.

Cheers,
Allan

unlikely the theory is solid, as in take a hot glass throw a splash of cold on it and "smash", but the temperatures have to be extreme, by the time ice cold water actually gets to the stomach its already a few degrees warmer from the ambient air, the temp of the mouth, throat, and other contents of the stomach. besides have you ever seen at the zoo on summer they give the big cats huge blocks of ice to lick my guess is the keeps are a zoo would have some kind of indication if its unhealthy or not ;)

whats it like training Huskies? everything i have read is they are very intelligent, dominant, short attention span, so all tho they are smart enough to learn obedience, getting them to actually do it is another thing, i have also read they can be quite destructive if board/alone.

you guys and gals got any insider knowledge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back