Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rattler

Reaction score
I found this on the footpath this morning in the middle of sydney. Was under powerlines so i dont know if a bird had it and dropped it or where it came from. What the hell is it? Some sort of corn snake?
DSCF5167.jpgDSCF5168.jpgDSCF5169.jpgDSCF5170.jpg

bandy bandy?

Face doesn't seem quite right though

Last edited:
Not a bandy bandy..

Was thinking possibility of native but now i can see pics definately not. Refer below post.

Last edited:
Are the white bands ever that well defined on those Poggle? It really does look like a californian king snake, wonder if it's a stolen illegal animal that someone threw out of a car window or something

Its a type of Kingsnake from the US. Very sad if this is not a windup!

i have seen some distinct markings on them but i am going with you decision. The dot on the back of head now i can see it does look like king snake species.

View attachment 227417

i googled bandy bandy and its similar, stephensi- not quite, californian king- i think it looks like one of these.

bit weird to find on the footpath

KingSnake.jpg

I have to agree with the californian king snake.

shame... all these exotics showing up.. What did you do with the body mate?

Might be worth reporting the find to DECC, I know half the time they don't know their head from their you know what but even so I'd be giving them a call

Yup, king snake, they are very common here (illegally of corse) I get a lot of people contacting me wanting to swap there king snakes for my Aussie stuff.

My guess would be, it's escaped it's enclosure and gotten out side.

My mate (down the road from me) has found 2 corn snakes (on separate occasions) out in the open around his place, we called the police and they came and picked them up. This sort of thing is a lot more common then you think.

it is a shame though... imagine all the undetected herps getting in... I thought i saw the loch ness monster in my dam the other day...

I know this has been concluded as a californian king snake... but just out of interest ... the stephens banded snake can be rather similar in appearance, though the shape of the head does differ enough for those with an eye for detail to tell the difference.

But its worth noting, because stephens banded snake is venomous and on the vulnerable species list :)

The stephens is a bit broader in the face than this guy I tbhink. Apart from that has the stephens been found around Sydney? AVRU reckons it's limited to northern NSW

the stephens banded snake can be rather similar in appearance, though the shape of the head does differ enough for those with an eye for detail to tell the difference.

Sorry, but you don't need an eye for detail to tell the difference here.....the differences are striking, as are those from a Bandy Bandy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back