Bat ID?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackstik

Reaction score
Can anyone ID this bat? It was found at Price, SA in a warehouse where I work. I released it into a big shady bush, as I couldn't find a cave or hollow to put it in. As soon as I held it out towards the branch it was scampering away so it didn't seem injured, just scared I think. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics...
3aa3afc0-a3ab-85dc.jpg
3aa3afc0-a3cf-23f7.jpg

Looks a bit like a lesser long eared but hard to tell without a facial close up.

Be very careful if you haven't had a rabies vaccination, aussie micro bats carry lysavirus

I'm stuck between chocolate wattled or greater long eared...

Looks a bit like a lesser long eared but hard to tell without a facial close up.

Be very careful if you haven't had a rabies vaccination, aussie micro bats carry lysavirus

Ok cheers for that mate

I wondered about a chocolate wattled but it really is very hard to tell from a scratchy photo unfortunately, you didn't get a close up of the face at all?

Nah I didn't, he was pretty trembly, just wanted a quick photo as proof then let him go. Didn't want to over stress the poor bugger

how cute are they. i like their little squshed up face. I found one at mannum once when i was working there..

Best bet for a certain ID is to email the photos to Terry Reardon at the SA Museum but based on those images, it may be difficult to ID with 100% certainty.

However, I would say it is a Mormopterus but to what species... no idea.

Don't mormopterus usually have a much longer tail that protrudes beyond the joined skin?

I know 100% what it is . . . CUTE!!!

hahaha sorry - been a long week :p

Even though they are abit 'evil', i agree, they are still so cute! I remember i found one washed up on the sand at Talabudgerra (sp :p) when i was 7y.o, i picked it up & asked my dad if i could keep it, he of course said no, & then this bloke that was walking past seen it in my hand & said that he would take it back across to the bird sanctuary cause he was crossing the bridge........well i cried as i watched him walk away with my 'new little friend' (it was TINY) & then.......he stopped in the middle of the bridge, put it on his fishing rod & :cry: yep, used it as bait! I hated my dad for months! :lol: (although he wasnt to know what the other idiot had planned)

Sorry i cant help identify though......i know nothing about bats!

Last edited:
Best bet for a certain ID is to email the photos to Terry Reardon at the SA Museum but based on those images, it may be difficult to ID with 100% certainty.

However, I would say it is a Mormopterus but to what species... no idea.

Yeah I'm not that fussed, just a bit curious.

76d291d8-0848-08bd.jpg

Heres a pic my friend took which is heaps better!

Last edited:
Just came across this thread. With those ears and the nose-leaf there is only one species it could be - Lesser Long-eared Bat (Nyctophilus geoffroyi). It is known to occur in urban areas and forages very close to or actually on the ground. This, no doubt, explains how it wound up where it did.

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back