Is this normal for shedding skin?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
Its like the scales have fluid in them and are swollen. I assume its normal during the sloughing process, but never saw it on my other snake. Or Could it be an infection?Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF2016.jpg
    DSCF2016.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 225
I have never seen my snakes go like this before a shed.
I saying this, My BHP has only shed once since we got her, but I have never seen this on our Stimmie who has shed very regularly since purchase approx 2 yrs ago.
I would not consider that a normal thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately a vet trip I think. Scale rot or another infection I'd say

i've only had her for a week. She started getting the cloudy eyes/orange belly/dull skin 3 days ago, the same time i noticed the fat scales. She did slither around out in the yard a day or 2 before hand so may have got a reaction to something. .

Just a second thought. The 1st few days she was in her cage, she would wrap around the wire cage i have around the ceramic 100W heat globes. (Globe is about 1.5cm away from the wire) Does it look like a burn mark as it is only on that one small area..
Am looking into a vet as well but I cant seem to find a Herp Vet in the gippsland area. Only generic vets and not sure they are knowledgeable enough? :(

Last edited:
I burnt my snake on a heat rock. Didn't look like your snake though.
Hope he's ok :(

Booked into vets tomorrow. Ordered neosporum from usa, changed from euch bark to newspaper & increased temp yesterday. Now looks like its clearing up. :l odd

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

As stated, looks like a dermal infection of some sort, a bit early to say "scale rot" though. If that's all there is, vet will likely set you up with Silvadene. If there are other infected areas, he may prescribe a course of antibiotic sub-dermal injections.

Seen vet. He found 2 types of bacteria in the swab he took. Said it is early stage scale rot. Have to bath it every 3 days and put cream on it daily. Then if its not better next week, we go with injections of antibiotics.

Fabulous, a good example of how early intervention can save you money and stress to the animal. Much cheaper if you can avoid the antibiotic injections and you'll have a happier snake too, take note all those who put off seeing the vet in the interests of saving $$

nice clear picture u posted there, much better than the small dark and blurry pics people post asking for advise, lol!!

good to hear hes been to teh vet, and thanks for the clear pic!! (always wondered what it actually looked like,..)

Ok, so she shed this morning. As I was rubbing cream into her rot area, I noticed several single scales spread over her body that were brownish/dull/crinkled. I suspect very early scale rot. So put cream on them too. Think I will go with the injections as it looks like it is so wide spread.

Anyone know how long it takes for symptoms of scale rot to show from when it initially contracted it? I've had her for 12 days now, and the blistering showed up on the 3rd day after I bought her...

Im no expert but I would presume if the scale rots cause is environmental then it would be from prolonged exposure, certainly not 3 days

One query. Vet said to soak her for 10min every 3rd day. And cream her daily. Doesnt soaking spread scale rot?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

so what art the causes of scale rot and what are ways of preventing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back