Idiot pet owners on YT

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryW

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Why does YT leave videos like this up? Shouldn't they be deleted? BTW in this video he is "fishing" a mouse to another mammal.

[video=youtube;k3cYZcP7Zto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3cYZcP7Zto[/video]

looks like a gray short-tailed possum, and unfortunately these kinda videos are all too common in the internet and youtube
and from the comments seems like he "fished" his escaped pet out... not the way i'd personally go to hunt an escapee but like my law teacher once said, people are.... uh... people

more than that i question why are there grates and toilet rolls in the bottom of whatever that is, is that supposed to be a makeshift mouse cage or something?

Was that a snake at the back there? What a boring video. Ppl thought mine was boring because I put a love song to my snake clip, least mine has more interesting things to look at.

Snakes - YouTube

How do you make the video come up in your thread? Mine always come up as a link.

Snakes - YouTube

I guess it would put you to sleep :D

Last edited:
I personally see nothing wrong with what he did. I can see how some people would be offended by the "fishing with a mouse" thing, but imo getting a possum back safe in its enclosure is more important. Ingenious really, because how else was he going to get that possum out? It would have run if he stuck his hand back there, he couldn't move the fish tank and stand, and it couldn't be left there.

so mice and possums dont like each other - huh u learn something everyday .
i could get on here and condem the guy for doing what he did [ but im not going to because iv done the same , except it was a jungle python in a aircon unit lol]

I personally see nothing wrong with what he did. I can see how some people would be offended by the "fishing with a mouse" thing, but imo getting a possum back safe in its enclosure is more important. Ingenious really, because how else was he going to get that possum out? It would have run if he stuck his hand back there, he couldn't move the fish tank and stand, and it couldn't be left there.

So you see nothing wrong with putting an animal through unnecessary harm? :rolleyes:

Of course putting animals through unnecessary harm isn't a great thing. However, I'm of the opinion that my pets are more important than their food (or food of other pets). That's not to say that one should be cruel to any animals in someone's care, of course not. Although you didn't answer my question. How would you get the possum out if you were in the same position?

What he shouldn't have done was put the video on youtube so outraged viewers could comment on it.

If it is a captive pet then one would hope it was used to taking it's mice dead and therefore he could have fished it out using a killed mouse.

Of course putting animals through unnecessary harm isn't a great thing. However, I'm of the opinion that my pets are more important than their food (or food of other pets). That's not to say that one should be cruel to any animals in someone's care, of course not. Although you didn't answer my question. How would you get the possum out if you were in the same position?

What he shouldn't have done was put the video on youtube so outraged viewers could comment on it.

But what's more important isn't even relevant at all in this instance. He still tormented and fed his pet a live animal - what's more important doesn't make any of that necessary at all so I do not understand why you're making a distinction here.

- He could have just used a DEAD animal, or a piece of meat.
- He could have taken the thing apart and took the animal the old-fashioned way. But noo that would take too much time and effort, so he used a helpless animal instead.
- He could have used a cage trap and baited it... and waited...

You're telling me here the only way to get the animal out is to... tie a live mouse to a piece of string? Are you kidding me?? That is either very lazy or this person gets a kick out of it... why would you do something like that otherwise?? If you actually agree with me that putting animals through unnecessary harm is not a great thing, then I am curious as to why you don't see anything wrong with this considering the whole exercise in itself was unnecessary (and cruel).

[ but im not going to because iv done the same , except it was a jungle python in a aircon unit lol]

You're horrible mate.

Last edited:
But what's more important isn't even relevant at all in this instance. He still tormented and fed his pet a live animal - what's more important doesn't make any of that necessary at all so I do not understand why you're making a distinction here.

- He could have just used a DEAD animal, or a piece of meat.
- He could have taken the thing apart and took the animal the old-fashioned way. But noo that would take too much time and effort, so he used a helpless animal instead.
- He could have used a cage trap and baited it... and waited...

You're telling me here the only way to get the animal out is to... tie a live mouse to a piece of string? Are you kidding me?? That is either very lazy or this person gets a kick out of it... why would you do something like that otherwise??

You're horrible mate.
lol coulda shoulda woulda - its a bit late lol . but jump on youtube and abuse him :lol:
as for me yeah im horrible :rolleyes:

Well... yeah... you put the mouse through unnecessary pain. That is animal cruelty, is it not?
id hate to tell u but the mouse was a thawed out item [ simply because at that time i wasnt breeding mice and i dont think a mouse would sit there long enough to tie what ever arount it .] but feel free to keep carrying on . i have a question for u - catching a wild mouse in either a snap trap or bait - wouldnt that be cruelty aswell ? but yet everyone duz it .....

I didn't say that was the only way at all. I asked what alternates you had in mind. Perhaps the possum doesn't eat dead animals or pieces of meat, or doesn't have a cage to catch it in. I disagree with taking the stand and fish tank apart. Doing so could have easily injured the possum (incoming "you're a hypocrite"). As for me seeing nothing wrong with this, I can certainly understand doing whatever necessary to ensure the well being of ones pets. His possum looks healthy and all his other animals look well cared for. I don't think he's an "idiot" pet owner at all, rather he just has his own priorities. Your issue here is causing animals harm and/or live feeding? Not everyone has the same views as you, and that's fine. I'll repeat what I said before and say his only mistake was putting the video on youtube.

I do have to ask why you post on this website though. It seems as if you only come on here to post about some controversial topic and then clear off for a while xD

I didn't say that was the only way at all. I asked what alternates you had in mind. Perhaps the possum doesn't eat dead animals or pieces of meat, or doesn't have a cage to catch it in. I disagree with taking the stand and fish tank apart. Doing so could have easily injured the possum (incoming "you're a hypocrite"). As for me seeing nothing wrong with this, I can certainly understand doing whatever necessary to ensure the well being of ones pets. His possum looks healthy and all his other animals look well cared for. I don't think he's an "idiot" pet owner at all, rather he just has his own priorities. Your issue here is causing animals harm and/or live feeding? Not everyone has the same views as you, and that's fine. I'll repeat what I said before and say his only mistake was putting the video on youtube.

I do have to ask why you post on this website though. It seems as if you only come on here to post about some controversial topic and then clear off for a while xD
beside i think the guy was in the states where anying go`s live feeding - fresh - thawed and maybe even frozen lol.
Terryw :
id hate to tell u but there are pepole out there that live feed [ they just dont advertise it on youtube or on forums ]

Why does YT leave videos like this up? Shouldn't they be deleted? BTW in this video he is "fishing" a mouse to another mammal.
shouldnt u be asking youtube rather then a snake forum ?

going by past posts its just what terry duz .

Last edited:
Seemed pretty smart if there was no other way of getting the animal back. In nature those possums attack and eat other mammals so meh.

I didn't say that was the only way at all. I asked what alternates you had in mind. Perhaps the possum doesn't eat dead animals or pieces of meat, or doesn't have a cage to catch it in.

Load of rubbish. Don't be naive and attempt to justify what is essentially, an act of cruelty to an animal. Do you even know what captive STOs eat? They're not like some snakes where they will refuse dead-nonliving food.

I disagree with taking the stand and fish tank apart. Doing so could have easily injured the possum (incoming "you're a hypocrite").

Injure it how? If you would have noticed, the stand was full of containers.

As for me seeing nothing wrong with this, I can certainly understand doing whatever necessary to ensure the well being of ones pets. His possum looks healthy and all his other animals look well cared for. I don't think he's an "idiot" pet owner at all, rather he just has his own priorities. Your issue here is causing animals harm and/or live feeding? Not everyone has the same views as you, and that's fine. I'll repeat what I said before and say his only mistake was putting the video on youtube.

Except that it isn't necessary to "ensure well being" here. He's an idiot because he tied a live mouse to a string, tormented it and took his time recording it. It is obvious he gets a kick out of it. It is animal cruelty, that doesn't really being on YouTube - and the guy's a jerk for doing so. That is the bottom line. I don't care if you do not have the same view as me, but I think you are wrong - you are justifying it by saying that the pet is "more important", when that rationale doesn't even come into effect considering that such an action is completely unnecessary.

In nature those possums attack and eat other mammals so meh.

'Cept this is not nature at all.

Last edited:
Terry join PETA

Don't have to be a PETA member to be against mindless animal cruelty, mate. PETA aren't exactly saints themselves either. But yes, shrug your shoulders and call someone who is against this sort of stuff a PETA member. Why am I not surprised?

Suppose someone used a live snake to fish out a mongoose from a space it does not want to get out of. Does that mean you're a PETA member if you're against that, hmm?

id hate to tell u but there are pepole out there that live feed [ they just dont advertise it on youtube or on forums ]

And this excuses tying up a live mouse and batting it around, dropping it to a possum, how?

You'd have to question the motives of a person who'd do that to a live mouse when they didn't need to. You'd also have to question their motives when they post it on YouTube.

Unlike some snakes, possums don't even need live food.

Last edited:
How do you know it wasn't necessary? Have you asked the man involved what all the possible alternatives were? Does it normally feed on dead animals? Are there cords behind the stand that it could have chewed through? Did he have an important meeting or anything to get to soon after and couldn't afford the time to empty the fish tank and move the stand or leave it there until he gets back?

I don't care if you don't have the same view as me either, and I don't think your opinion is wrong. Rather it's your opinion and you're allowed to have it, just as he's allowed to have his own and I'm allowed to have my own. I do think how you've gone about this thread is wrong. You're assuming he gets a kick out of it, insulting him and others who agree with him. Getting all emotional doesn't win arguments (nor does the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude). I'm not going to convince you of anything, nor are you going to convince me. I think you're just looking for like-minded people to have a whinge with. If you actually wanted your question/s answered, go ask youtube.

How do you know it wasn't necessary? Have you asked the man involved what all the possible alternatives were? Does it normally feed on dead animals? Are there cords behind the stand that it could have chewed through? Did he have an important meeting or anything to get to soon after and couldn't afford the time to empty the fish tank and move the stand or leave it there until he gets back?

Because captive STOs eat dead meat just fine. Do the research. He even comments that that they don't need live mice!

Important meeting? Wow, now you're really stretching here. Considering the trouble he went to to tie a string on a live mouse, wriggle it around and record all of it... says a lot really.

You're assuming he gets a kick out of it, insulting him and others who agree with him. Getting all emotional doesn't win arguments (nor does the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude).

If you watch his other videos of live feeding, you'll understand why I am saying he's doing it for kicks. He has animals who he feeds live, that absolutely do not need live food in captivity. The disclaimer he puts on these videos (this is like the Discovery channel, don't call this cruel or else I'll delete your post, etc) says a lot too. The people who agree with him... well... essentially they're saying "yeah, let's put an animal through unnecessary anguish and risk the pet to bites, scratches and parasites at the same time". And most of the people who do, are saying how fun it is, laughing at the misfortune of the prey animal, etc. Nothing more than a "canned hunt", really, to entertain himself and the mass of drooling "haha pwned" idiots.

In addition, read a couple of his own comments in the video and you'll see he is having a laugh about it too. Need I say more?

Here's another one of his videos:

[video=youtube;vZpULn_3M7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZpULn_3M7s[/video]

Perhaps you'd like to explain to me why this person would be adding classical music to a live feeding video if it wasn't for entertainment? You seem to be saying I am making quite a few assumptions, but so are you from the looks of it. What's worse is that you're trying to justify this kind of behaviour? From the horse's own mouth: "They do make great pets. They don't NEED live mice to live." Thus, not necessary at all, thus... a questionable motive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back