Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
haha how could anyone think thats a bandy bandy?? *facepalm*

anyway you can quite clearly see this snake has a loreal scale, we have very few colubrids in Australia and this king snake looks nothing like any of them.

what suburb was this in? let me guess western subrurbs? looks like some bogans pet they love exotics

I know this has been concluded as a californian king snake... but just out of interest ... the stephens banded snake can be rather similar in appearance, though the shape of the head does differ enough for those with an eye for detail to tell the difference.

But its worth noting, because stephens banded snake is venomous and on the vulnerable species list :)
There are a number of features that make Stephens’ Banded Snakes relatively easy to distinguish...

I reckon the colour of the bands is the simplest. Typically their bands are light to medium brown colour but can be more of a cream colour, particularly anteriorly. I have never seen or heard of one with all pure white bands.

Secondly, the head shape. SB has a flattened, broad head (typical of the genus) which is clearly distinct from the neck. Cal Kings and Bandy Bandys have a rounded head in cross-section, in line with the body.

Banding on SBs stops at the ventrals while it goes all the way around on a Bandy Bandy and partially, for the most part, on a KC.

The white areas on the head are differently positioned in each species and are quite distinctive if you get a clear view of the head details.

PS: It is probably worth noting that unbanded specimens of SBs are not uncommon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I should have made it clear I wasn't suggesting thats what this is, but that to those who are not familiar with snakes, they may be mistaken.

it is a shame though... imagine all the undetected herps getting in... I thought i saw the loch ness monster in my dam the other day...
That would be the "your dam monster"....."Nessie" is in Loch Ness.....:)

Don't think the stripes are clear enough in that species, besides the king has the distinctive head spot and the head is narrower with th clear white band across the lower half of the face

Its a getula, you can um and aaaah all day but in the end it'll still be a getula. Nice snakes, pity its on the wrong continent.

The stephens is a bit broader in the face than this guy I tbhink. Apart from that has the stephens been found around Sydney? AVRU reckons it's limited to northern NSW
Stephens Banded Snakes are found as far south as the inland northern extremies of greater Sydney.

King snake looks like a bird drop with all the puncture marks or maybe a cat.

Stephens Banded snake very beautiful have attached pics of one

Attachments

• sbs 007.JPG
    sbs 007.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 113
  • sbs 016.jpg
    sbs 016.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 136
There are hundreds of them being bred around Sydney, and thousands of Corn snakes, everything is here and being bred in large numbers... exotic "rescues" if you want to call them that are very common and have been for a few years now.

could they ever establish in our wild?

wouldn't be the first exotic to take hold in a foreign land...

speaking of stephens bandeds, sometimes they have no banding,

anyway another ID thread gone the typical APS route

step 1. post pics of creature

step 2 have at least a couple people who have no idea try and id it by guesswork

step 3. someone quietly ids it correctly but is ignored for at least another page by the people guessing.

step 4. fight club starts when someone pops in and quote posts the people who are guessing that they are retarded

step 5 another poster correctly id,s

step 6 people who where guessing defend there earlier posts ( im just learning,go easy on me etc)and argue with the fightclub people of authority

step 6 someone else pops in a post and agrees on the correct id

step 7 few more posts agreing on corect id

step 8 debate on what other snakes look like the snake in question but are not the snake

step 9 people in step 8 told that the snakes they mentioned look nothing like the snake in ID pic

step 10, much click liking of posts goes on,especialy of senior memebers contributing posts

Spot on Snakepimp.
I don't think most exotics could cope with our ecosystem, too many variables that lead to death for them, although you never know.
JasonL is telling the truth, people have come up with the notion that Corn Snakes and other common exotics have been able to make their own wild breeding population in and around Sydney, that is BS it's just that there is so many captive ones escaping.

Side by side they are easy to differentiate - OP should report it

California King Snake
Lampropeltis_getulus_californiae.jpg

Stephan's Banded
photoImage.php

Bandy Bandy
photoImage.php

... although you never know.
although you never know
JasonL is telling the truth, people have come up with the notion that Corn Snakes and other common exotics have been able to make their own wild breeding population in and around Sydney, that is BS it's just that there is so many captive ones escaping.
But now you DO know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back