Stargazing snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxthor

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I read in a Scales a tails article about snakes stargazing (looking upwards a lot) and that it could be a health usually neurological problem with the snake. I have got a South West Carpet Python that seems to behave like this a lot, i was wondering if maybe its just due to the weather warming up and possibly the python starting to outgrow her enclosure rather than a health problem.

Shes around 1.6M, not fully grown but getting there. Shes only 2-3 years old but i fed her a lot in the last 6 months.

Her enclosure ATM is 90Cm tall X 55cm deep x 60cm width. Im in the process of converting a large display cabinet about 5 times as big as this.

My thoughts were that being a SWC, and they like to climb a lot maybe shes just outgrowing the enclosure?

My murray darling will sometimes spend time staring upwards at the vents in the roof of his enclosure, he loves to be out of his enclosure so i think it's just that he's watching to see if someone is coming to open the lid :p That is a relatively small tank for a snake of that size, how long until your big tank is ready? If it was me I'd be interested in whether the behaviour changes when the snake is out of it's tank or once it moves into it's new home.

can be a sign of bleach poisoning or disease, if it's doing it a lot and for a prolonged period, see a vet.

Stargazing with noticeable lack of balance or co-ordination could signal a problem - neurological, problem with sight or middle ear infection - but if the snake has complete control of his movements, there's most likely nothing wrong. Pythons are always up, staring into space. I take my big girl outside to stroll and she will spend all her time in the one spot with her head two foot up off the ground. Poised there like a statue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back