If I stand still it wont bite me: Tiger Snake bites leg!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tiger was already in an aggravated mood. It's just watched him stand in front of it. Of course it now thinks this thing in front of it is a threat and will react accordingly. Any snake that has its back to a wall will come out swinging. It probably wasn't the best example :lol:

I am surprised it bit him. What happen to the educational lesson of keeping still and they won't bite? This tiger snake must of seen part of his jeans move to inflict a bite?

Looking at the video its the hook waving around behind his leg that is reacting too

Ah yep. I knew something had to have set him off. Yeah he is cranky but I've seen snake handlers fire up brown snakes and then as soon he was still, the snake moved right on by without worrying about him. Moved his snake bag and it reacted, otherwise it settled and wandered off. But as mentioned, rules are always going to be broken. He is lucky his jeans stopped the snake from getting his leg.

Interesting... I rarely bother looking at these things. I'd be willing to bet, however, that the Carpet Python is an eastern states Coastal, not a SW Carpet Python as we were told. Nothing like the hundreds of M.s.imbricata I've ever seen, in colour or pattern.

Whatever happened to the 'no python imports' rule...?

J

Come on Rob, you know better than that, did you even watch the whole video? I spend half my life trying to dispell the myths flying around about tiger snakes and this doesnt make it any easier. I understand what he was trying to do but to me that was showing off with a snake that was past the point of behaving normally due to being extremely agitated.

Anyone with half an idea about Elapids knows that the "dont move and it wont bite" theory goes out the window when a snake is extremely agitated and is forced into a position where it has no means to hide/ escape.

out comes the APS experts

this guy did fine ,so what he got a Tiger snake out? he didnt intentionally antagonise it,he just got it out and put it on the floor and stood there as it did its threat display.

We pulled the tiger snakes out for a display last weekend, it was 35 degrees and they were cranky as, we took one look at them and put them straight into holding tubs so their tanks could be cleaned and left them behind and took some other snakes down for the show that were in a better mood that day. It would be pretty irresponsible of us to take a very agitated animal out for a public experience and then expect it to behave in a 'rational' way. If you ask me the tiger snake shouldn't have been there in the first place, it was clearly freaked out by the situation.

He would presumably have carried compression bandages with him, with immediate first aid and a quick trip from where he was in Melbourne to hospital for antivenom there isn't too much chance of him being done for at all.

He would presumably have carried compression bandages with him, with immediate first aid and a quick trip from where he was in Melbourne to hospital for antivenom there isn't too much chance of him being done for at all.

Why do you keep bringing Melbourne into it?

Ah just looked, presumably this is the Sydney Nova since the radio frequency is different to the Nova I know, in either case hospital would be a short trip

Ah right, thanks, clearly there are lots of Novas :lol:

i usually defend snake handlers as its not easy to show snakes to public and keep everyone happy :)

also i only watched tiger snake bit,lost me after that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back