Substrates?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockett85

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the use of wood shavings as a substrate (that you buy from the pet shop) I have always used the breeders choice litter but on seeing a MASSIVE bag of shavings for $15 i thought it may save money and is pretty similar to the aspen bedding used in the states!!! ANY THOUGHTS?

If it's soft wood pine shaving(which it often is) then i wouldn't use it, many rodent breeders won't use it because of respiratory concerns. If you want something cheaper that goes a long way get coconut coir from bunnings, rehydrate and let it dry. Same thing as critter crumble and works great for reducing smells i've found.

It is for my snakes was a bit apprehensive to buy it, didn't seem too dusty but don't want to do any damage to them thanks for the quick response everyone!

Yeah you've also got the pine resin issue to consider with that stuff. I personally use Oz pet and I love it

wood shavings can be very try and sometimes that isnt good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back