Black headed python as a first snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chelsea94

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :) !
I am really interested in getting a Black headed python as my first snake,
If you could give me any tips and a heads up on what to expect that would be awesome!
Any information helps! Thanks a heap, look forward to hearing from you!

Great entertainment ours never stops trying to find away out, digs holes he buried a rat the other day and ate it when he was ready and our kids hold him with no fuss hes just over 8ft now great first snake
Dan

If you get a small one, keep in mind that they huff and puff a lot until they are confident and aren't scared of everything. It can be quite intimidating but it's really just a bluff and they just head butt rather than bite. I have a vid on my you tube channel if you want to see what I mean.
Other than that, they are a great snake and grow quite fast if fed well.

They are an amazing snake, but not one to be taken lightly.
They do like to put on a bit of a show when you approach their enclosure.
They will very rarely bite, but hissing and the odd strike are common with BHP's.
They will grow to be quite a large snake, a well fed adult QLD'er can reach 9-10ft and over 10 kgs.
Although other localities such as WA will stay smaller. They love to burrow in their substrate,
so critter's crumble would be good. Definately a very unique snake, but you will definately need to lots of research on them.

On a final note, ALWAYS, ALWAYS!! make sure it is feeding well before you buy it!!! BHP's are natural reptile feeders, and they can be VERY difficult to get feeding as hatchies, so always buy a well established feeder!! Also make sure that you feed it lean meals, because they are natural reptile feeders, (reptiles in the wild are very lean and have very little fat on them) they are quite sensitive to fatty rodents. When she gets bigger, make sure to feed lean rodents (definately no xxl jumbo rats!!)
Good luck, you will not regret getting one!!
Sorry about the long post haha :)

I used to have a BHP female, out of the 13 snakes Ive owned she is still my favourite, character, nosiness, personality plus, demanding ( wanted out 50 times a day), I even loved her huffing and puffing... Great snakes to own...As boidae said watch the feeds though

Thanks for all the advice! Its been a great help :)
Pinoy I would love to see the video if possible, & also do Bhp face many health problems?
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! You can never get enough information :)

I'll post a link on your page when I get home if you like or alternatively, you can copy the link in my signature to see my you tube channel ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back