Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My older hatchling is currently housed in a large sistema container with holes drilled in the top which is sitting inside my six foot tank. That said he's such an adventuorous little coastal and always keen to get out of his tub so i suspect in the next few weeks I'll put him into his 2ft square enclosure for a while, i reckon he'll love it as he's very curious

I keep all of my younger snakes in a variety of sized storage tubs. Easy to clean. They aren't actually see through in any place so the snake feels safe even when its out and about and movement outside the tank doesn't bother them too much. A python should generally be happy in an enclosure that is about 75% its length for the enclosures largest side. For some pythons this would be length and for others this would be height. For example, there is no point in keeping a gtp in a really wide enclosure as they prefer to climb.

If you're planning to build your own, a lot of wood at bunnings comes pre cut at 1.2m, this would be ample for an adult spotted!

In the wild a snake moves for very few reasons. To eat, to change their temp or to mate (oh how jealous I am!!) They prefer to spend time curled up in a small area. Small enough that they can touch all the sides and the top, that should give you an idea of hide size. My 2.5m coastal curls up in one of my shoe boxes for now as I am building him a diy hide. Amazing the spots they can fit in

Hey there welcome to the forum :)
I would suggest a stimmie or childrens python.

Thanks everyone! :) Great help! I would also like to get some lizards in the new year, what would you recomend as a lizard for beginners?

there is much more variety in snakes when you go to medium, I recommend getting a yearling. Not as bitey and you get a better idea of their temperament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back