A few questions about snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh_p

Reaction score
Just got a new enclosure and looking at getting some sort of python.
I just want some advice about feeding and handling and what type of python is a good beginner one.

Yeah tell us how big the enclosure is and well tell you what sp of python would best suit an enclosure that size.

Depends on cage size, and what u want to spend on a snake, different breeds have different temprements, and personalities. Read up on the net about your future snakes, i do this before buying a new breed. good luck

One of the Carpets, a Maccie, Children's or Stimson's make good starter snakes. Make sure you ask around for a reputable breeder, and ask that breeder if he/she will provide ongoing support if you need advice. Don't buy from a pet shop - the prices will be high and the advice may not come from someone who has snake breeding experience.

If you get an established hatchling from this year's breedings, you won't need (and shouldn't use) a full-sized enclosure.

There's a starting point for you...

Jamie

3a6f5c11-2395-34d1.jpg
gonna convert this to a snake set up probably a 3 bay

if getting a hatchie all you need is a click-clack.. small snakes stress in big enclosures.. that might come in handy in 2 years time though..

Yup - OK for adult snakes of the species I suggested, but too big for a hatchy if that's what you start with. Your hatchy will be far happier and more secure in a small plastic tub, but any good breeder will advise you about correct housing for youngsters.

Jamie

I would say a stimmie, childrens, woma

What's a click-clack? Would that be okay in this big enclosure cause I wanna start off with a hatchling

Best species to get at this stage would be anything made of plastic. Have a good read through the sticky threads and build up your basic knowldge before you move on to the next step and get a real snake. I'll go further and say you should look at a 'Murray Darling Carpet' as a good size, generally very placid snake species, but please make sure you understand the basics first.

So when I get my hatchling it can live in the click clack. For how long. And can I put the click clack in my big enclosure with heat

So when I get my hatchling it can live in the click clack. For how long. And can I put the click clack in my big enclosure with heat

Do some searches on this site, there is a good thread on making and setting up a click clack. Really simple and cheap to set up with a heat cord underneath.
No hurry for the large enclosure.
Just about every question you have can be answered with the search function.

Yes you can Josh - that's what a lot of people do. A good breeder will be able to set it up for you and keep you on track... depending on species & growth rates, you may be able to house it in the larger space in 12months-2 years

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back