Whats the correct way to pic up a Bobtail?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 30368

Reaction score
I have just brought home my first Bobtail :D I have placed him in his home (i slid him out of the box carefully). I have given him some mixed vegies and some seedless grapes and he ate them all instantly. Anyway, i thought i would just leave him be for today and not bother him. So far he has shown no aggression and even tilted his head and closed his eyes when i was rubbing his cheeck and neck.
So when should i attempt to pick him up, and what is the correct way to do it to preven being bitten, or upsetting the Bobtail?

p.s. I never knew how insanely HUGE those jaws are!!!! :shock:

If he's tame and lets you rub his check and neck he's sounds chilled out. Might be an idea to give a couple of stress free days maybe a week before trying to handle so he settles in.

First let him know your around then approach from side slowly put your hand under the front around the front leg and under neck/chest area then when you lift support the back half with your other hand. Keeping fingers away from jaws of death lol.

Hope that makes sense. ;)

i think i get it. Like picking up a rabbit. From top, hand around shoulders and ribs, lift up and scoop the bum up as its leaving the ground.
If he is not impressed at all by this, will he hiss and warn me, or will he just bite me and tell me that way? I was all confident and ready to go until i saw those jaws. Its like a pit bull of the reptile world!

If he let you rub his check and neck i'd say he's a good candidate to be handled, I can't tell you what he'll do you have to find that out yourself ;) I think you'll be fine, just keep ya fingers clear lol.

Mine don't seem to hiss as much as the Bluey's they tend to lift their head and open their mouths when they want to be left alone, I have never been bitten by them, guessing they are a lot of bluff :) I pick them up just behind their heads, supporting their front legs and the other hand supports their back legs and body. Mine are mostly very placid and only carry on once in a blue moon. Yes they have extremely powerful jaws, I have seen them crush up mice like nothing.

just remember, ,make sure your hands are washed and clean before you try and pickup your bobtail. If you smell especially of food and you wiggle those fingers like little mice, they he will try to eat them for lunch.
Other than that, handle him with respect and most of all confidence. They can *smell* fear, like dogs and other animals. Just make sure, as mentioned above, let him know you are there and don't startle him.
By the by, l would love to see some pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back