Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first 6 or so months we hardly handled him at all, and only for short times, but we had his enclosure in our lounge room so he was always watching what we were doing and getting used to us being around him. Whe he was big enough we started letting him out to roam around the house and just spent heaps and heaps of time with him. I always say that how tame your monitor turns out will be a result of how much time and effort you put in. Having said that though, I think some monitors are easier to tame than others. From what I've heard from other keepers, sandies are one of the most placid breeds.

Nothing to say you can't.... we used to have a panoptes but we didn't have the space for him so we swapped him for the blue tongue :lol: He was only still young when we had him but he was ok to handle when he was in a good mood.. on the other end of the spectrum I have a mertens that will just about tear shreds off you as soon as you open his enclosure. We adopted him off someone who didn't look after it very well. To handle it they would put on a welding glove and squeeze it to try and stop it from moving. He's come a long way since we got him about 4 years ago but you still can't touch him unless he's just been fed and is in the right mood for it.

You are right, I did hear about how any monitor can be tamed, but I think it all comes down to those first few months, sometimes even years...:)

Thanks

So did you achieve this by gaining his trust or by constantly handling him and letting him get used to you
For what it's worth, I've raised quite a number of tame lace monitors through leaving them alone when they're small and terrified, then gradually gaining their trust through interacting with them (on their own terms) when they're larger and bolder. As Karly has said, if they can watch you from their enclosure and learn that seeing you doesn't mean they are going to be grabbed, they'll gradually lose their fear. Constantly handling them (with lace monitors, anyway) often leads to an unpredictable, cranky adult lace monitor.

My 1.5 year old rosenberg ate in front or me for the first time on sunday. I havnt handled him for almost 8 months. Instead of running down his hole hell just sit there and watch me change his water. Its such a good feeling to know that he is slowly trusting me.

Here's my new bub:)!

Attachments

• Jipp the Gipp feeding from tongs 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    Jipp the Gipp feeding from tongs 003 [1600x1200].jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Jipp the Gipp feeding from tongs 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Jipp the Gipp feeding from tongs 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Jipp! 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    Jipp! 013 [1600x1200].jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 139
Checking out the unplanned water feature.

Attachments

• Flood 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Flood 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Slight Flooding 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Slight Flooding 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    88 KB · Views: 187
  • Slight Flooding 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Slight Flooding 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 207
heres a few pics of my little one
timspic018.jpg

timspic020.jpg

timspic027.jpg

timspic013.jpg

timspic005.jpg
that is just the cutest darn thing

That's one stunning little Lacie above, any ideas on the location apart from "on his shoulder"?

I had this poor Heath Monitor come into care a few weeks ago after being attacked by a dog.

After being x-rayed we found it's spine was severed and pelvis shattered, so the poor thing had to be put to sleep :cry:

Bloody dogs...

Attachments

• DSCF0553.jpg
    DSCF0553.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 198
  • DSCF0554.jpg
    DSCF0554.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 151
Back