Liquid in mouth and nostrils.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
Another health issue with my BHP. Ever since I got her, she has been making what I thought were hissing sounds, but now think is a wheezing? Took her outside in the sun to do a poop, and noticed 'saliva' drip from her mouth. Finally managed to poen her mouth a bit to try have a closer look, and bubbles started to exit her nostrils. Didnt really get a good look in her mouth though.
Vet commented on her breathing last week when I had her in for her Scale rot.

I assume whoever had her before the petshop sure as heck didnt look after her properly, to have scale rot and now this.

What could it be? Or what would be the best course of action? Her cage temp ranges between 25 and 37 celcius. Her poop is brown and solid and urine is nice and white. So it doesnt look like there are any problems in that department.

im with jas with it being a respitory infection, that is what is probally the main problem with your python and the scale rot was a secondary infection due to her weak imune system. book her in for thd vet again to get antibiotics.

I agree, typical signs of RI. Get it to the vet asap and in the meantime, keep it warm. If it's sitting in the cool end of the cage maybe isolate it in a tub at the wamer end until you can get it to the vet (Joe Vella a reptile vet in St Leonards advised me to do this with an early case of RI in one of mine)

will be several days till i can get into the local reptile vet. Had another look at her and cant see any more saliva stuff. Will check the next few days if it comes back.
I remember having chickens that had liquid fall out of their mouth when they were picked up. From just drinking water? Can that happen with snakes too?
Lol I feel like the paranoid mother that takes their kids to the doctor just because they blew their nose.

What is the best in the mean time? keep the humidity to as low as possible, or keep misting?
Thanks.

Yep definately sound like RI, I had the same problem with a BHP when I lived in Nth Qld, especially this time of year in the wet season. The vet advised along with medical treatment, the use of household dehumidifer, something like 'damp rid' or larger version of silica gel/crystals that come in bottles of pills or multi vitamins, within the enclosure would help reduce humidity that species like womas, bhps and shinglebacks are susceptable too

The vet advised along with medical treatment, the use of household dehumidifer, something like 'damp rid' or larger version of silica gel/crystals that come in bottles of pills or multi vitamins, within the enclosure would help reduce humidity that species like womas, bhps and shinglebacks are susceptable too

The thing is if i dont spray in her enclosure, the humidity is 0%. She is on newspaper and has a small bowl of water under the heat emmitters. Spraying gets it to about 20-30%, but havn't done that for a week so as not to worsen the scale rot, which is getting cream on it daily.

How many vents in the enclosure do you have?

I find it hard to believe that you are getting readings of 0% humidity, especially with the water under the heat lamp?
All air has to have some moisture content in it!

Maybe try a different hygrometer? and see what the readings are.

How long have you had the BHP since buying from the pet shop?

But if RI is the case, I wouldnt be adding any more moisture to the environment until you have seen a vet.

id get a new vet, if he noticed the RI but didnt treat it.. id be changing vets.. keep the enclosure at 34-35c & stop misting..

I've had her for 3 weeks now.
it is an analogue hydrometer. May get a digital one. It was used in my other enclosure and the humidity of between 0 and 40%, but i had coco fibre and poured water into it once or twice a week. But that was with another snake too.
Oh and 1 vent on the cool end which is 3 X 5cm holes with a vent guard on both sides.

Last edited:
If your snake has just had a drink, the water can certainly just run out of it's mouth if you pick it up and the head is lower than the rest of the body. And it is usually bubbly from the mouth and nose because it is very quickly mixed with saliva which makes it more viscous.

If it hasn't shown signs since, I'd just keep an eye on it before taking the vet course of action. Other indications of RI are reluctance to tongue-flick, the tongue forks sticking together, adopting unusual coiling positions, and reduced interest in food. Usually, if the snake is alert and interested in its surroundings and flicking the tongue frequently and normally, it won't have RI.

Keep the temps up in the mid 30s and see how you go if all else seems fine...

Jamie

will be several days till i can get into the local reptile vet. Had another look at her and cant see any more saliva stuff. Will check the next few days if it comes back.
I remember having chickens that had liquid fall out of their mouth when they were picked up. From just drinking water? Can that happen with snakes too?
Lol I feel like the paranoid mother that takes their kids to the doctor just because they blew their nose.

What is the best in the mean time? keep the humidity to as low as possible, or keep misting?

Thanks.

The tongue does flicker, and it is forked. She ate a 250g rat and 250g quail 3 days ago and was very keen on them. She does lay around in her enclosure, but when taken outside she moves around like normal.

Bump up the heat to around 30-32 degrees and ease off with the humidity... if you leave the water bowl at the warm end there will be some humidity which should be enough for now... Dont waorry with misting... But you should see a vet as soon as you can get there.. Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back