Gecko babies wont eat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borris+Natasha

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks

I have two Thick tails which hatched 2 weeks ago. I am looking to sell them off soon but they just wont eat. They have shed, they are on a moderate heat mat, they get some UV every 3 or 4 days and they have a hide. Any suggestions on what might be going on?

No such thing as a stupid suggestion folks.

Tom

try smaller sized crix?
bump the heat up and spray them more often they might need a bit of fluid

I found my hatchie levis would sometimes go over a week before starting to eat. One thing I found that helped was to spray them in the evening then offer food.

yep above info is good bit of extra spray smaller crickets and if they don't eat within a few minute remove the crickets and don't try again for a day or two,it has taken some of mine over three weeks to have there first feed..

As Noved said dont leave the crix in there 24/7 but instead offer every day or two, I would also be inclined to try waiting 2 days then leave just 2 crix in there over night as sometimes they will only eat in the dead of night.

try find some termites under some logs, i have found that even the slowest gecko starter cant refuse these.
I just mist the cage and throw them in. After they eat something they usually dont look back and will take crix from then on.

Try not to stress.
Last season, I had a clutch that did not eat for over a month. They are now the stars of my collection.
I found that popping the back legs on the crickets made them less jumpy.
As long as you remove the crickets in the morning, they will eventually eat.
I do find however, that my hatchlings are more active right after sunset.
Try what Goldmember said about the dead of night, then if that doesnt work, try straight after sunset.
Like everything, they will figure it out in their own time.

Are they in clear sided tubs? Occasionally I get a hatchling that wont eat in a clear tub (I think outside movement puts them off)and have found that moving them into a green or blue Click-clack works best. Only offer a few crickets at a time and as people have mentioned try giving the crickets to them before you head off to bed at night. If you are worried the small crickets may chew on your geckos, you could always leave a small piece of carrot in there (crickets would much rather eat that than your lizard).

You could also try small woodies. Sometimes not as intimating as a cricket.
Other things. More hides so they feel secure, no hides so they can find the food. Smaller tub or enclosure so they feel safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back